12 replies to this topic

#1 Chris0309

Chris0309

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

I just bought my first ever rifle. Everything prior has been hand me downs.Q: I bought a Remington 700 VTR in .308 caliber. I bought a BSA scope, and Leupold bases and rings.I've read the instructions that came with the bases/rings.How do you the readership suggest I mount the scope using the bases/rings?Please and THANK YOU in advance.
Sincerely,Chris0309Arcadia, CA"Only The Strong Survive"(Does anyone else out there know the marquee that the above slogan is on?)

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

I would suggest that the first thing you do is to take that BSA back and get your money back. Then buy a decent scope. Otherwise, don't waste your time, and it will never shoot well with that BSA.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

You spent the time researching the rifle and some good money on it also. Quality glass is every bit as important than the rifle itself. You can't spend under 100 bucks and get a nice scope, Glass is one thing you really get what you pay for. ;)

#4 Chris0309

Chris0309

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

Any suggestions on an appropriate scope?
Sincerely,Chris0309Arcadia, CA"Only The Strong Survive"(Does anyone else out there know the marquee that the above slogan is on?)

#5 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

What are you going to be shooting? Long range, tacticle, hunting or general plinking? Is it going to be an outdoor rifle getting beat up or a range rifle and pampered?
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

I agree 100% on the BSA scope return. Return the scope and the rings. For that sweet .308 I would mount this HAWKE Sidewinder 30. Go for the SR6 Illuminated reticle and you will have the added advantage of an included, proven ballistic calculator program. I have this scope on my Tikka 25-06 and my 6.5 Grendel. It is fantastic, day and night. We presently have a killer sale price for Christmas on that scope right now. They won't last long, All you'll need to do is get some good, 30mm tactical rings. Our usual price is $389.00.....now $330.65 RedHunterLLC is an authorized HAWKE scope dealer and I will put a HAWKE up against any other premium scope. If you haven't used one day and night like I have, you can't comment. We stand behind our products and we also successfully use them. We are having a Christmas scope sale and now is an excellent time to get a killer deal on a HAWKE scope. I will be happy to discuss your needs and intents and in doing so, guide you toward the right purchase. I am on this forum for the long haul and I will only sell quality products that represent excellent value and reliable performance. If it's optics you are looking for, CPC members should check with me first for special pricing and offers.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

Good gun, Good mounts and rings and junk scope. IF you plan to hunt with it then get a Leupold 3X9X40 NON-AO scope and I hope you got low rings to mount it in. If not go back and exchange them for low rings. I prefer to lap the rings but you will not have the stuff to do so being the first. IF you use lock-tite on the mounts use the BLUE(242) and not the red (271) lock-tite. Keep the ring have the same way they were when you got them. Do not use the scope to pivot the rings into the bases. Be sure to mount the scope forward enogh so you do not get scope cut when you crawl forward on the stock.There is more but if you want and are close enough to me bring the stuff by and I will walk you thru it. I have done hundreds of them and have all the stuff you need to do it easy and correctly. Or call me if you need help.IF it is just a fair weather fun gun then a burris/weaver/nikon/pentex/simmons etc will do. You do not need or want a 50 AO or adjustable AO on a hunting rifle. Use the KISS princple(sp) and stay away from flip-up scope covers as they will cost you an animal sooner or later.

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

The HAWKE Endurance is a non AO scope and would be an excellent choice if you are just hunting larger game animals. I will match quality side-by-side to a Leupold or other brand and I will also save you a hundred bucks. Happy Thanksgiving.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

I would also suggest since it sounds like you are returning the scope return the rings and bases and get some talley lightweights much more user friendly to mount since you are a newbie less is more if you are going to do it yourself

#10 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Burris Fullfields, Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell Elite 3200's are all good mid-price range scope.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#11 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

http://www.usoptics....ge=instructions
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#12 Chris0309

Chris0309

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

OK I have another question:How do I increase the length of pull on my new Remington 700 VTR's synthetic stock?I've been looking all over the WWW for a thicker recoil pad or insert, but have yet to locate one yet.Any ideas?Please and THANKS...Chris

#13 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

You can cut out a piece of lucite and put it underneath the recoil pad. I did this on my winchester 190 .22 and it made all the difference. It doesn't look great but that 190 is my beater gun so I really don't care. If I had taken more time I could have made it look really professional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users