#1 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Anyone have one? I would not mind cooking these little guys if I knew a good way to. I hear you have to cut the scent glands off near the bend in the rear legs or the meat tastes bad.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:06 AM

Your kidding right ?? :WTF_1:

#3 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

Never heard about the sent glands, but when I was a kid my Grandfather would shout the squireels in the backyard, my grandmother would gut/clean them up while pointing out all the major organs to us kids and throw all the meat in with the Sause, taste damm good as I remember it.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Ground squirrels are known carriers of bubonic and phnuemonic plague and should not be touched.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

Never heard about the sent glands, but when I was a kid my Grandfather would shout the squireels in the backyard, my grandmother would gut/clean them up while pointing out all the major organs to us kids and throw all the meat in with the Sause, taste damm good as I remember it.

Ground Squirrels??? Sure they were not Tree Squirrels?

#6 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

Ground Squirrels??? Sure they were not Tree Squirrels?

Right you are, they were tree squirrels. My Grandfather had a walnut tree in the backyard and the little critters just couldn't stay away.

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I would eat coyote before eating those rats with fuzzy tails :smiley-outta-here: :signs165xk: :signs165xk:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Anyone have one? I would not mind cooking these little guys if I knew a good way to. I hear you have to cut the scent glands off near the bend in the rear legs or the meat tastes bad.

A real good recipe I know of calls for a 50 grain Vmax with a pinch of about 27 grains of Varget, all stuffed neatly into a 223 case and placed into a Remington 700 Varmint Rifle at about 3500 feet per second. Hold the crosshairs steady and press ever so gently on the trigger and its done to perfection. Voila... Carnage Asada is served....Enjoy

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

Tree squirrels are good eating. Ground squirrels are not. Had a friend who shot some in the hills and did not know the difference. Cooked them and then he knew the difference. Just shoot them and leave them for bait for others to eat.

#10 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Any good gopher recipe will work :smiley-outta-here: .
John Bishop, Commissioner
San Bernardino County Fish & Game Commission
Member: N.R.A., C.R.P.A., W.E.G.C., Calguns Foundation Supporter

#11 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

I threw up in my mouth a little :signs165xk: :smiley-outta-here:
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#12 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

Ground Squirrel FricaseeIngredients6 average sized ground squirrels1/2 Tbs Pepper1/3 Tbs Salt 1 Tbs Cajun SeasoningPreprationSkin and clean squirrels and pat dry. Mix dry ingrediants in a bowl and rub on to squirrels. CookingPre-Heat oven to 410 and bake for 1 hour. Change setting to Broil low for 2 hours until golden brown.Serving.Take the squirrels and everything they touched and throw them in the garbage! I WOULDN'T FEED THESE TO MY DOGS!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#13 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

I threw up in my mouth a little :signs165xk: :smiley-outta-here:

C'mon Randy you could have some squirrel salami made.......Just don't have your Daughter take it to school.....

#14 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

Haha! No way Frank. I mean I'll eat just about anything - love that show Bizarre Foods - but stinky lil rodents don't do it for me.
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#15 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

I threw up in my mouth a little ;) :P

Save it! For squirrel, that's dippin' sauce.

#16 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

The only recipe I have is to take one squirrel and add one bullet.

#17 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Just throw them dead ground squirrels in a good sized fire skin, guts and all. after all the hair is burned off and you figure they're done, pull'em out of the fire, peel the skin back and chow down. This recipe was reported by a biologist conducting a wildlife survey up in NE CA, during the early 1900's, who witnessed the local indians hunting and eating the local ground squirrels. Chow down folks.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

I am sure during the time before white man came here they were fine to eat.The reason they have the plague is lab mice got away from a lab and spread the plague to the ground animals?

#19 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

...who witnessed the local indians hunting and eating the local ground squirrels. Chow down folks.

Yep and they also used to form a huge circle of tribe members and beat the grass, driving grasshoppers toward a bed of hot coals in the middle of the circle, then feast on the roast hoppers. (Probably a nice side dish at the ground squirrel bbq.)There's a lot to learn from the Indians, but I'll just stick with popcorn when it comes to most of their menu. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#20 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

How come frog legs always taste like chichen? :smiley-outta-here: :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#21 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

I would like to know that to.. People say alot of things taste like chicken. I think they are lying and just want me to gag..and barf......
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#22 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

I am sure during the time before white man came here they were fine to eat.The reason they have the plague is lab mice got away from a lab and spread the plague to the ground animals?

:Dor the ship rats were infected with the plague and were carried from port to port by the commercial ships of the middle ages before there were lab mice or labs or infected scientist blood suckers. :two-cents: :signbummer8tl:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#23 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

The fleas are the carriers of the diseases. As far as a recipe, ask a coyote.

#24 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

The people I saw eating them have a simple recipe. Leave them whole, put a stick in em, roast over open fire until they pop.Eat right off the stick.No kidding, I witnessed this myself.Good luck...
Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users