15 replies to this topic

#1 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:36 AM

I was reading the July 09 issue of Rack magazine about the possble new world record Alaska-Yukon moose shot at 8 feet with a 70 lb Mathews bow. The shooter was saying he got very poor penetration because the arrow hadn't picked up any speed, so I was wondering if anyone knows how far an arrow has to travel to get up to speed. Not that I'll ever shoot anything at 8 feet. Just wondering. Thanks, Tom

#2 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Unless I'm wrong, an arrow should be at it's top speed as it's leaving the string. It'll only get slower after that. Air resistance.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

The faster it goes the quicker it gets there :smiley-outta-here:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#4 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:28 AM

The faster it goes the quicker it gets there :smiley-outta-here:

------------------------------I wonder if the guy was shooting those light graphite arrows. In the old days, hunters in the know would insert a smaller arrow (aluminum arrows) inside his regular hunting arrow when going after large Game like Moose or Buffalo. I believe that Fred Bear used a solid fiber glass arrow when he shot an elephant in the head.

#5 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

The arrow shaft will bend when released, it's quite possible that it has not straightened out by the time contact was made and the entry point was at a different angle.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

At 8feet that arrow is as fast as its going to go but its far from going strait like yodel said. but Im thinking too light of arrow and tip to have some whoop to it . Kind of like a light bullet on big game. dull broad head could be any thing. Hey he got it thats what counts. Might be he used a compond :rolleyes:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 troutbum24

troutbum24

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Bow Hunting, Hunting in general, Fly Fishing, Spearfishing, mountain biking, surfing, geocaching, anything outside.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, it seems everyone these days is concerned about havinf "fast" bows so they lighten up the arrow and shoot 100 grain tips. I like to have a bit mor impact so shoot the heavy carbon arrows and a 125 broadhead. Most of my shots I like to have within 40 yards so speed isnt a huge issue, although deer are fast!.. Afterall your bow hunting, its all about the sneak in my book.
Blaine

#8 sako222

sako222

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Well you got me thinking about it & I did a test at home shooting 5ft from chrono 286fps & then 20ft 288fps & then 20yards this one was little harder but result 289fps looks like little distence helps hope helps

#9 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

Wow, thats really interesting, not a big difference, but still gaining speed out to 20 yards. Maybe it takes alot of distance for the arrow to stabilize.I wouldn't think that few of fps would affect penetration that much. Maybe the lack of penetration has more to do with arrow stability than fps.

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

FPS has little to do with penetration, Kenetic energy is mostly gained with arrow weight. Even thought the faster and lighter arrow drops less than a heavier arrow you have most kenetic energy with the heavier arrow( slower or not). Also the shorter your draw the slower your arrow will be.

#11 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

It seems to me several years ago everyone was shooting with a overdraw and short 26 inch or less arrows, was this a quest for more speed? I suppose they realized those arrows didn't penetrate very well. I don't think many people use an overdraw anymore. I shoot a 29 and a half inch arrow at 64 pounds and would like to think this would give pretty good penetration on a deer but I'll have to wait till next season to find out. Don't know what my arrows weigh but I shoot 100 grain broadheads.

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

Your bow will kill anything in North America as long as you have good shot placement, that is the key to bow hunting. With the new bow on the market an overdraw is not need as the arrow speeds these days are upwards of 340fps(IBO). The guys shooting 3d tournaments are more concerned with speed because they don't have to be as critical judging the distance on the targets(in theory).

#13 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

Howard Hill killed elephants with a long bow, and I doubt that his arrow were moving over 200 fps, but he used heavy arrows. On whitetail deer, you don't need heavy arrows if you stick him through the ribs. I have shot arrows completely through whitetails with 50 pound recurve and cedar arrows.

#14 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

FPS has little to do with penetration, Kenetic energy is mostly gained with arrow weight. Even thought the faster and lighter arrow drops less than a heavier arrow you have most kenetic energy with the heavier arrow( slower or not). Also the shorter your draw the slower your arrow will be.

Not exactly.. Since velocity is one of the factors in figuring KE then it can only be true that when you raise the speed you obviously are going to raise the KE.A 350gr arrow doing 300fps will have a KE of 69.96A 350gr arrow doing 330fps will have a KE of 84.65On the heavier side of things:A 450gr arrow doing the same 300fps will have a KE of 89.95 (note, not many 450gr arrows will see 300fps)A 450gr arrow doing 250fps will have a KE of 62.47This is an age old question and topic of much turmoil in the archery world and it will probably be the same way when my future grandkids are shooting. When you look at all the factors they pretty much equal themselves out. Lighter arrows are able to attain speeds that bigger arrows wish they could see, thus making up the necessary KE to get pretty much anything done.For the record, I'll take light and fast
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

Tim, Yes it is obvious that when your arrow speed increases that the kenetic energy increases along with it( notice I didn't say nothing to do with). What I was trying to get accross is the weight of the arrow has greater effect than arrow spead.

#16 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

I do not think the animal cares how fast the arrow goes through them. Im with Jawbreaker its more important to hit them in the good spot. This can go on for ever just like a 270 is much better than a 25-06 or 308. :signbummer8tl:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users