#1 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

Hey, Im a new hunter (still working on my Hunter Education haha) and i'm looking fora low end rangefinder that does the basic necessities, maybe 2-4x mag + the range of course.Whats the lowest I can go before it's total junk.Any brand recommendations?Preferably keeping the price <200 BTW- I know almost nothing about rangefinders beyond that some use lasers and some dont.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will never be needed until they try to take it away."-Thomas JeffersonWe've gone from Neo-Cons to Neo-Coms. Neither are desirable, if you ask me."The devil loaded it while you weren't looking"

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

If it's just for hunting with an air rifle, you can get by with a Bushnell Prosport 450. I have one and it's worked fine over the last year. It's good out to 200 yards, although they advertise longer range. Longest shot you'll take with a springer air rifle is about 100 yards but as a practical matter, you'll be doing most of your hunting with it between 10 - 50 yards. http://www.opticspla...angefinder.htmlIf you're going to be hunting with a centerfire, you'll definitely want something with longer range. RA

#3 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

Thanks ratassassin,If i did anything besides air rifle hunting in the near future it would probably a .22 rimfire varmint hunting or some shotgun hunting, but that wouldnt be for awhile anyways.P.S. sorry, shoudlve specified low range hunting in the beggining
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will never be needed until they try to take it away."-Thomas JeffersonWe've gone from Neo-Cons to Neo-Coms. Neither are desirable, if you ask me."The devil loaded it while you weren't looking"

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

You get what you pay for with regard to laser rangefinders. My Leica 1200 has ranged out to 1100 yds. The Bushnell I had wouldn't get 300 yds on a tin building. Other than laser rangefinders, the Barr and Strouds (artillery optical rangefinders) will do long ranges but are bulky, heavy packages that are only available as milsurp. The hunting type of optical rangefinders have many drawbacks and limited accuracy.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#5 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

i bought my nikon mon. 800 new for 200 usd and it have work well so far. longest distance range was 910yrds at a small pine tree on a clear sunny day.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Those Nikon's aren't supposed to work above 800 yards. I wouldn't trust the display if it went above it's manufactured limit.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

yeah, they sucks beyond the 800 yard according to manu. spec but i did make contact at a rock 12x12 at 910 yards next to the pine tree according to the rangefinder, ballistic program, conditions when i dial it in. believe it or not, i have range 1016 yards before which was the same when my buddy used his leupold iv rangefindermaybe someone put a 1200 model laser into mines....

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

cheapest range finder would be a yard stick lolSo far I am happy with my nikon 550

#9 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:07 AM

Thanks ratassassin,If i did anything besides air rifle hunting in the near future it would probably a .22 rimfire varmint hunting or some shotgun hunting, but that wouldnt be for awhile anyways.P.S. sorry, shoudlve specified low range hunting in the beggining

If yer shooting around 100 yards on the outside, you don't need one. My 12g is...w/ a Dead Coyote Choke & #4 buck is only good to 75 yards. Now when you start shooting 200+ yards. then a RF is helpful. Keep an eye on craigslist, this and other boards...I snatched a Leica cheap here that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users