• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

I have a Rem 870 wingmaster 12ga that I bought in the 1960's before there was steel shot. It is mod choke and only a 2.75" shell chambered. I might try duck hunting and wonder if this gun is safe with steel shot and even if there is 2.75" steel shot shell that will do the job.I also have an old mil surplus Rem mod11(copy of the Browning A5) 12ga with skeet choke that I could use if steel would not hurt it.I have always shot lead with this gun and do not want to hurt it. I can get a different shotgun and one chambered for 3" or 3.5" shells if needed.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

I would just call Remington to get the answer straight from the source, just to be safe.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

Good idea. So I did and they said not to. So now what would be a good pump or auto to buy? What choke to use? What size chamber in 12ga---3" or 3.5"? Do not want to spend a forture as I am not sure I will do much duck hunting.Hunting ducks and maybe geese.

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

I had the same problem years back on an older 870 Wingmaster I had. It had a 30" fixed barrel with full choke. I just bought a new 28" barrel with the screw in choke tubes. Getting the new barrel was cheaper than buying a new gun.There is a way to change a minor part, very cheap at that, and convert your gun to shoot 3" shells. If you want to know more about that PM me.Frank.

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Just buy a new 870 super it will handle all three sizes
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#6 lvr

lvr

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

until I bought a new gun I shot steel through my old wingmaster with a fixed full 28 in barrel for years. it patterned pretty good. I never had any problems with the barrel.

#7 BAGC

BAGC

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Pheasant Hunting, Trap Shooting. In the future, I would like to try coyote hunting and buck hunting.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

A few months ago, I purchased a new barrel for my 12 guage rem 1100. I had a skeet barrel on it, and changed it out to a mod choke. it was 200 bucks at a gun shop in Granite bay. I can shoot 2 3/4 steel through it, and lead. WAY better than buying a whole new gun. Especially since I am used to shooting it. Of course, if someone bought me a brand new gun...i wouldnt cry about it.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

Christmas is right around the corner. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

I have an 870 20ga, and I found a barrel online for less than $100. The barrel has a poly choke on it and shoots well. I haven't gotten to take it out hunting yet much, but have taken quite a few starlings with it at my friend's farm. DId manage to get 1 dove during the early dove season.You might try looking for a spare used barrel that you don't care about for steel shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users