• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

I was watching a archery hunting show a while back. The weekly episode did it tip of the week. Which was to wax your arrow shafts! Has anyone else heard of this and know what the point behind it is for. Is it worth doing, or is it just personal preferance!? Thanks, Jeremy

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:21 AM

The only reason you would want to wax an arrow shaft is when shooting 3-D targets, and then you'd only wax the first 6-8 inches. Waxing the shaft (or using soap) allows the arrow to be pulled easier from the target - especially when the target starts getting old and the foam rubber starts to harden up.There is no use for waxed shafts in a hunting situation. In fact I would think it would be detrimental - looking at the sign left on the shaft is an indication of where the hit occured (bright red, dark red, foamy or green in the case of a gut shot), and wheather you should wait before looking for a hit animal.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

Baja is right But do not use WD 40 it will eat the glue and your tips and inserts stay in the target :lol: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . Some trad guys say that it helps the arrow pass thrugh better But a sharp broad head will do that any way IMO. I would think putting somthing on a hunting arrow would just make it and you smell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users