6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

I have been rifle / air rifle / shotgun hunting for a few years now, but I just got my first bow. It is a used 45 pound pull recurve bow. I traded an old laptop computer I wasn't using for the bow and 7 carbon fiber arrows, 4 target tips and 3 broadheads, as well as a quiver.I am wondering if it is legal to use one of the trigger release systems for hunting in archery only season? I am going to start practicing and am wondering if I should get a trigger release. I shot bows in boy scouts and I remember that I didn't especially like how the bow string hurt my fingers after taking a lot of shots.If I cannot use a trigger release in archery only season however I will not practice with it.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

You can use a trigger release during archery season but as you have a traditional bow you don't need a release. Most guys using traditional bow shoot fingers and do very well that way. You can use a finger tab so your fingers don't hurt. if you really want to hit what you're aiming at you should get a compound bow :D

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:24 AM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :signgreatreport3kg: ;) :P Get a finger tap or a glove. Don't pay any attintion to those guys that have trainning wheels on thier bows :eck05: :P You got a picture of it ?. JawBreaker Does Know what he"s talking about Most of the time :bleh[1]: :lol: :pot:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

I definately need the training wheels, I tried wood bows before and never had the patience to stick with it long enough to be effective with it. I will admitt that it takes a special person to use a wood bow. :smiley_kewlpics:

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

The main reason I do not shoot a compond I can't see the sights ,I can't see the iron sights on my rifles any more :good: and they just feel funny. But componds are real shooters. And you still have to get close. Hey did you just call me crazy? :good: ;)
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

No crazier than me. I am only ribbing about traditional shooters as they need to get even closer than those of us using wheel bows.

#7 EthicalSportsman

EthicalSportsman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

there are two ways to shoot a recurve or a long bow. you can either put you index finger on top of the nock and your middle and ring finger under the nock and shoot that way. or you can put all three finger below the nock and use the nock as an aiming point. the nock is the "end of the arrow" where it is strung to the bowstring. the easiest is the three finger below the nock because you can aim the arrow. but longbow and recurve are instinctive shooting. so just use your instinct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users