31 replies to this topic

#1 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

I want to get some sort of lightweight inexpensive pistol to carry with me while calling. I have a nice MP 45 but its kinda heavy and bulky on the hip. I really wanted a KELTEC in 380 or 9mm but they are not rostered here in this wonderful place we call home.Any suggestions I am really leaning towrds a 9mm but not closed off to anything but I want lightweight as I am content with a glock 26 if need be I can buy it for a good price but I dont want to spend quite that much if I dont have to and I would like something a little lighter. I can get the 26 for 499 I would like to be around 300-350Revolvers are not out of the question either.

#2 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

I carry a KelTec 380 and I love it. But it is very underpowered. Its better than nothing and I always have it. I would look at a SW AirLite .357 or a Khar polymer 9mm or .40SW

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

If your looking for a revolver, the AirLite is an excellent way to go. The bullets weighed more than the dang pistol I shot. Great for carry.If you looking for an auto, I can highly recommend the Glock 27. My best friend and hunting partner carries his every day (CCW) at work and off. He has fallen in love with it. I am not a big auto fan, in fact his is the only Glock I've ever fired, But I was actually pleasantly impressed. Amazingly straight shooting, especially for such a short sight radius/barrel.

#4 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

I probably wont get a 40 since I have a 45 What kind of loopwholes do you have to jump through to get a KELTEC? I know that LEOs can buy them and then sell them is that basically how it works?

#5 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

I think its an LEO only deal. They don't get alot of respect though. I have no problems with mine. I also have the Glock 27, and its great, but harder to conceal because of the double stack mag. Another consideration would be the SW Chief Special autos. They come in 9, 40 & 45. Single stack mag is pretty slim.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:13 AM

I've got a Ruger LCR that rivals the S&W AirLites. It's .38 +P. Very light, very small, and plenty of punch. Or, I'm really liking my subcompact XD .40 for carry, and it's another great round when you get the correct bullets. But, you still can't beat .45. It's my favorite caliber - and I would recommend a smaller/lighter .45 for carry.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:19 AM

I carry a .40 Glock. They always fire.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

You could get a SW 442 in 38 special it can handle +p loads and is a fun little gun to shoot if your looking for a revolver.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

Calguns have several nice ones for sale. I just picked these because they are close to you. Probably could do a FTF.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=242155http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238206http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=241112
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

My new Kimber Ultra Covert Carry in .45 is very nice and light.. Small and easy to conceal. But I would have to agree with Jeff, the Airlite is by far the lightest gun to carry! I have one and every time I take it out of the safe to finger I'm amazed by it. I have never shot it but I have carried it. I would rather carry something with 7-8 rounds than 5 rounds. The subcompact glocks are very nice as well. I have a sub compact 10mm glock but the Kimber is slimmer, making it more comfortable, concealable and lighter to carry

#11 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

I really want the airlight from smith and wesson in 357. Probably would only load 38+P but options are nice and so is 12oz's!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#12 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

C'mon Rick, just pack your new Taurus !!!!!

#13 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

I have been...It only weighs about 20 pounds!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#14 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

I CCW with the S&W 442 in 38 +P. It is so light that I forget I am carrying most of the time. A buddy CCWs with the Airlite in .357. It is a little larger but you get the added punch of the .357. I shaved a little more weight off the 442 by replacing the stock grips with a set of Hogue Bantam Grips.For calling though, I take my 1911 in 45 ACP. Sure it's heavy but I'm sitting most of the time anyway. Plus it's a 45 and it feels good knowing it's there. I would love to CCW with it but it just isn't practical for concealed carry. But CCW and backup while hunting are two different animals. I don't feel comfortable carrying a wonder 9 or 9mm Browning (aka 380 auto) while hunting after having a wild hog come after me and a bobcat almost jump in my lap. I want something larger in the field and because I don't have to conceal it, I can carry a larger calliber.

#15 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

Used security or service six?

#16 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

I am leaning towrds a taurus ultralite 85 as of now for the price its tough to beat

#17 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

For a carry revolver I prefer a hammerless one. You can carry in your front pocket or in a jacket pocket and it won't hang up when withdrawing it like the hammer model will. Now if you are always going to be carrying it in a holster it makes no difference.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#18 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

thats the one braz

#19 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

The Taurus Ultralight is a hammer model I do believe.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#20 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

I must have been mistaken or basspro had them mis marked I though I was looking at one hamerless ultralite yesterday. I can go either way it will come down to what I can get the best deal on

#21 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:35 AM

I have a hammerless ultralight, but I've never considered my P220 to be heavy, so that's my preferred carry gun. Can't beat the good ol .45 also...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#22 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

I am leaning towrds a taurus ultralite 85 as of now for the price its tough to beat

+1 on that too. I normally carry a Sig P220 Carry, but times I want somethin a little less, I'm even looking at the new Taurus 856 6-shot, which, for me, would be better for quarterly qualifying.

#23 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

I carry a Kahr PM9 and I love it. But, it doesn't fit your inexpensive requirement. :roflmao3[1]:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#24 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:24 AM

how are u guys getting a ccw to carry in california unless u r cops??
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

It all depends on the issuing department where you live. Some towns are just easier to get and some are impossible.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#26 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

Aint that the truth! If your in LA county you better be a Rockstar or on the A-list cause Angelinos aren't allowed to protect themselves unless they are good pals with Sheriff Baca from what I understand.

#27 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

Yep, Kern County is pretty much a Shall Issue County. One of the few things we have going for us. lol
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#28 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

Same with San Bernardino county. "Personal protection" is good enough cause for CCW.
John Bishop, Commissioner
San Bernardino County Fish & Game Commission
Member: N.R.A., C.R.P.A., W.E.G.C., Calguns Foundation Supporter

#29 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

The whole point was to carry while calling. No CCW needed while you are hunting - carry in a belt or thigh holster and call it done. Now maybe going into or out of your stand might require you to unload depending on where you are, but that is no different than the open carry at B.O.'s town hall meeting we all saw on TV - perfectly legal. One of the other reasons I like my Sig so much - unload, and especially reload is fast (incase the meth-head zombies come out of the brush!).

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#30 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

well I bought a SW 442 last nite on auction I had a little liquid encouragement after the family party and caught a little carried away 300 bucks I thought was not bad depending on how bad the transfer dealer sticks it to me it is also the commemerative 2nd ammendment edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users