#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

I got this advice from a 20-year veteran cop about selecting a gun safe... "Just be sure it has a feature that if they whack the handle/dial that the mechanism shears off and the slide bolts in the door don't open. You can find this feature in a variety of mid to high end safes. Some cheap ones can be like trunk locks... smash it in (off) and pop it open with a screw driver."Does any one know which safes are vulnerable to this kind of attack? I'm sure the burglars know but I can't find their Internet Forum to post this question! (I'm primarily looking for protection against burglars and children getting to my guns. The whole fire protection aspect doesn't concern me as much because a 30 to 60 minute fire is going to result in a massive insurance claim anyway and guns are just a few more replaceable items on the claim form. Keeping kids safe and wrongful death lawyers off my porch are my greater concern.) Looking for advice from those who have done this research before me. Thanks

#2 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Friend of mine owns sturdy safe and i would recomend his I have watched them building them and they are great safes.I had him make me one up and I wouldnt want to have to break into it .

#3 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hide the safe behind a faux wall or in a closet w/ a door disguised as a shoe rack...nobody will try to bust into it if they never see it in the 1st place.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Here is a very good article on choosing a gun safe. Link

#5 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Buy the best and biggest safe you can afford and you will not regret it. If you buy a quality safe I'm of the opinion that you use it for furniture and not bother hiding it. I put mine in my office and would invite anyone to try and break into it. They would first have to get by my early warning system (3 dogs), then would have to firgure out how to get into the safe itself (a very large high end Browning) and there's no way to carry it unless you have a backhoe. The bottom line is crooks are not going to spend alot of time if you have a safe, there are far more easier targets out there, and if you live in the city your neighbor is probably an easier target.

#6 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

I agree with you entirely. But with common tools I use all the time, and that are very portable and not really expensive, I could be into your safe in a few minutes. High end safe or no. Luckily, people who are smart enough to know the proper tools and how to use them are usually too busy working for a living to worry about how to break into your safe. Still, I wouldn't really advertise the fact I have one.I don't think any of them will keep a determined, prepared thief out.

#7 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

True no determined thief will be stopped, but time is usually a factor and it takes a lot of planning and the opportunity, that's where the back-up of insurance comes in. When I lived in OC I was always careful to load my guns in the truck when no one could see what I had. I think most break-ins are performed with speed in mind and not well thought out.

#8 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the link to the excellent article, Shooter John.And thanks to everyone else for their useful input. I also found a few YouTube videos showing how fast a couple guys with pry-bars can pop an average (consumer-affordable) gun safe. About 75-90 seconds! Pretty discouraging, especially when I realize how long I'll have to keep saving up before I can afford a new rifle after I spend what little I have on a better safe. Those videos showed the importance of bolting the thing to the floor AND wall studs.It also appears wise to position the safe in a corner so there's a wall along the side opposite the hinged side. Seems like this would leave even less room for pry-bar leverage. Might add a few more seconds to their effort! LOL... I'm tempted to leave my safe empty but for a note reading, "Sorry, Burglars, but I had to pawn all my guns to buy this safe. Too bad you wasted all your time opening it - the cops are probably around the corner by now!"

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

:signs1242cn: It's sad but true the effort we must go to for the protection of our things. All but one of my safes are bolted to the floor as well as secured to wall studs. One is so heavy and large (an old double door bank safe) anyone that wants to try is welcome. Two that reside next to each other are tucked into the corner and bolted securely together as well. A little extra work but being a welder early in life taught me how easy it is to open something made of metal.

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

An alarm on your house is a great first defense before they even get to your safe. :signs1242cn: The loud noise, and the hidden cellular phone auto call to the cops is a great plus.

#11 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

Alarms don't do much in rural areas. Response time for a LEO could be one minute (sheriff's deputy/friend of mine lives on the adjoining ranch) or over an hour if no one is on duty in this end of the county.What is better than alarms however, is nosey, armed and maybe just a little bit trigger-happy neighbors. I also have someone stay at the house if we are gone overnight, which rarely ever happens. Someone has to feed everyday anyway. I am also fortunate in that I can let my dogs run loose on the place. Nothing keeps people in inside a vehicle in the driveway like a large dog that looks (and acts) and little crazy. Wife's big dog hasn't bitten anyone in a couple of weeks anyway...:signs1242cn:

#12 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

Was talking to a guy today his friend has a sturdy safe his friend came home and some guys had been working on his safe all day he said it was really beat up but they never got inside of it.

#13 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

I've got a safe up at my cabin where I have most of my guns. However, for winter months, since the cabin is snowed in, I like to bring some of them home. I needed a safe down here too, and as a result I was watching this thread closely. Well, a couple of days ago I noticed that Tractor Supply was having a sale on Cannon safes. The one they have is 60 high x 40 wide x 24 deep. For my needs I figured that was going to be just right. It is normally $999 and it was on sale through Sunday the 29th for $799. I hopped on that and hit the store today. I bought it, but, then I found out they don't deliver. Oh Boy! Well, I figured I could always find some help. So off I went and had them load that 600 pound bad boy in the back of my pickup. After getting home I decided to see if I could move it. Wow, a little bit of corner work back and forth and it was coming out. Out of the cardboard box it was in. Sliding out as slick as you please. When it was far enough out, it tipped down and I lowered it to the floor. Then I proceeded to unbolt the bottom frame. When that was done, I stepped up on the tailgate and thought I would give a try lifting it into an upright postion. Damn, up it went, and I couldn't believe it. Then all I had to do was slide it around and position it where I wanted it. I am putting it in my garage by the way. It is all positioned and all I have to do now is to get a few shims and level it up a bit and bolt it to the floor. I also need to buy a dehumidifier to put in it, then LOAD it up with guns. Heck, I've got so much space now, I feel obligated to buy some more guns. Can't have the two I have in there lonely. :lol:Here is a link to the one I bought. By the way, it is the same one as advertised on Costco's web site, which is the second link. It has a couple more pictures.http://www.tractorsu...un-safe-3910204http://www.costco.co...Prodid=11485568

#14 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Braz, Good to hear you got the safe into place. We were on standby awaiting a phone call if needed.Congrats!Lilman going strong with the call.... I think he has the energizer bug!!!! ;) :drinks:

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Your wife is gonna kill you. :drinks:

#16 michael word

michael word

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Pretty much any middle quality safe will have the safety features you are looking for. I personally have a Liberty safe and would consider them high quality.

#17 DonArkie

DonArkie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a company in the hunting industry

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

I have the Stack On Gun Safe in my home, also wireless home alarm system plus 2 dogs that work great. My shop on my property were I have my business, 5 Metal Gun Cabinets, with alarm system, with battery & celluar back up, w/ cameras, & 3 9-11 buttons, bars on widows, and gates on all the doors. "Hidden drive way sensor" that lets me know when some one drive to the shop or towards my home, Plus I carry in the shop when working. A good safe is what YOU want to pay in money wise. I paid 1,000 for my home safe, it is attached to the wll & floor, alarm system is a added plus, plu your home owners insur will go down.My business I deal with alot of different clients, from law enforcement , outdoor tv show, competitive shooters, to the hunter from all 50 states plus Canda. I feel you never can go too far how you want to protect your self & items.

#18 lewdogg21

lewdogg21

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

Here is a link to the one I bought. By the way, it is the same one as advertised on Costco's web site, which is the second link. It has a couple more pictures.http://www.costco.co...Prodid=11485568

I've got the same one from Costco this past summer when it was $799. Costco seems to run that sale every couple months. I'm very happy so far and with Costco you get "FREE delivery". While the guy won't haul it upstairs for you he did bring it in my garage via pallet jack and put it where I asked. In the Costco verbiage it says curbside only but the delivery driver acknowledged that he can't leave average joe's safe on the sidewalk with joe standing there dumbfounded how to get it inside his home.I have a monitored house alarm (including garage), dogs, etc. as deterrents.

#19 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

I bought mine at Lowe's 699, they delivered it it a 24 gun safe ,I changed the lock to electronic for 50 don't need a dehumidifier down here

#20 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Bought my 24 gun safe at Bass Pro in Manteca and paid $699.00 for it. A buddy and I loaded it up into the back of the pick up and took it home. We thought we had everything all figured out for unloading this 600 pound beast. Everything was going according to plan until we lost control of it. Three quarters of the way down off the tail gate it flip and landed on it's face onto a furniture dolly I had bought just for this project. Well it smashed the electronic lock keypad and completely distroyed the furniture dolly. The dolly did prevent a complete flat face impact with the garage floor. We just sat there saying "Holy S***", we righted it up and I punched in the code and everything worked! So we man handled it into place up on some blocks and bolted it to the wall. The next day I called the manufacturer and ordered another electronic key pad for $25.00. I only wished I had bought the safe before installing the cabinets in my garage. I would have had more options on placement and concealment.In it's placePosted ImageThe block support to keep it elevated off garage floorPosted ImageThe unlucky electronic key padPosted Image

#21 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

I agree with you entirely. But with common tools I use all the time, and that are very portable and not really expensive, I could be into your safe in a few minutes. High end safe or no. Luckily, people who are smart enough to know the proper tools and how to use them are usually too busy working for a living to worry about how to break into your safe. Still, I wouldn't really advertise the fact I have one.I don't think any of them will keep a determined, prepared thief out.

I guess this is assuming that no one is home to pump hot lead down the individual....

#22 Daryl

Daryl

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'm new to the forum and live in the Fresno Ca. area. I just recently decided to get a better gun safe and did the usual research. I ended up getting a Sturdy safe. They are made in Fresno.. USA made. Pretty thick steel. 7 guage. Certainly not fancy but so far I am very pleased. Got a blem for a discount.

#23 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

One is so heavy and large (an old double door bank safe)

Sj I know someone that has one and wants to sell and I thought of buying it.He said it's so heavy it just came with the house people just don't want to move it.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

That's why you can often get them for free. It costs more to move them.

#25 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

I found oodles of bargains on safes searching craigslist for 4 weeks and ended up scoring a nice big (name brand) one for 1/3rd the going price.

#26 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Good advice from everyone. Buy the best you can afford and bolt it down. There used to be a show on that, I think, was called "It Takes a Thief". These guys would stake out a house with the homeowners permission and when the time was right they would go in and clean out the house. It was all on video and the stuff these guys would do is unbelievable. Thieves can clean you out in no time at all. One thing they pointed out time and again was dogs are pretty useless. They can be tricked pretty easily. Alarms and cameras are your best friends. With some tools you might even have in your garage your safe can be opened. It happens more then you think. Time is not a factor if they have staked you out for awhile. I can install a dog door with all the trim through an outside wall in less then an hour. I can cut a hole in a wall that a man can walk through in a few minutes(3-5). Quietly. If someone acts like they belong most people do not pay attention. Someone told me once that locks are designed to keep innocent people from getting in. Be diligent and be safe. Hot lead only works if you are at home!I hear that Liberty Safes has a big President's Day sale on right now.Be careful moving the beasts as well. If one lands on you your going to be in a world of hurt. They have a tendency to make hamburger out of flesh. Oh and if you are going up or down stairs remember they go right out through the wall if you lose it. I saw a safe go through a block wall one day! Landed in the parking lot! Big Red hand truck still attached. Luckily the guys that were on the bottom were able to climb over it as it went by!Karl

#27 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'm looking at buying a Tracker T440 safe after we move into our new house. Pretty good price for the size/options. Only has a one year warranty but has anyone ever really worn out a safe??? 45 cubic feet, 45 gun capacity, 975 pounds, all for $929...http://trackersafe.com/extralarge.html

#28 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

I just picked up a Sturdy 3627 that is 36x27x60 made from 7guage steel, not fire lined that weights 700 plus pounds for $1400.00 plus tax.You can goggle sturdy gun safes for thier web site, it has great info on RSC's, residential security containers, the owner is Tery and is a fountain of information...Matt

#29 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Warranty protection is BS because unless you buy a safe made locally, the cost to ship it back to the Mfr is insane.

#30 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

I know terry and stop by there often hes a good friend and yes a great guy to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users