7 replies to this topic

#1 WylieCoyote

WylieCoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hi All,I have been reading the posts here for a while now, but this is the 1st time that I'm posting. I am interested in doing some coyote hunting. I have a AR-15 lower and want to get an upper for it. I am looking for a 20" flat top with no front sight. Of course I will addthe fixed 10 round magazine to it, to make it California legal.1. What make & model upper do you guys recomend?2. Also any suggestions for a scope?ThanksWylieCoyote

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

I agree with what capitol said 100%. ;) Both he and I have the White Oaks but they are somewhat heavy.Oh, and welcome to the forum also. :D

#3 WylieCoyote

WylieCoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

Thanks guys.I actually don't want a bull barrel. Mostly a free floating light-weight barrel.I did check the stags, but all they have is the same upper as a carbine, with the plastic front hand guards and the front sight, only in 20". As for the scope, what do you guys think of this one to be used for coyote, varmint, and range shooting?http://www.leupold.c...ducts_specs.aspAnd thanks for the welcome

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

A lighter barrel would be better as a carry gun. I unfortunately have a heavier barrel but at least it's fluted not that it helps much. It looks cool though if that counts for anything. ;) I didn't get a particular scope to come up just Leupold's site. But Leupold make some good models. If you remember the model number we'll take a look.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

Glad to see you posting!!

#6 WylieCoyote

WylieCoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

I didn't get a particular scope to come up just Leupold's site. But Leupold make some good models. If you remember the model number we'll take a look.

Actually, I was looking at Leupold's model LPS 3.5-14x50mm Side Focus Satin/Mil Dot. Part # on their web site is 53490.Thanks

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

Actually, I was looking at Leupold's model LPS 3.5-14x50mm Side Focus Satin/Mil Dot. Part # on their web site is 53490.

One note on the Leupold side focus scopes that I didn't know when I purchased mine. It is that the focus knob must be racked to infinity and back to focus each time the scopes focus is adjusted. This has been confirmed by Leupold and I read about it on 6MMBR regarding scopes. They contacted Leupold and verified that this procedure was needed to get correct point of impact with the side focus scopes.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Good info! Thanks, John. I didnt know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users