7 replies to this topic

#1 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Thinking of one of these for my wife. She has a .357 but it is big, heavy so she leaves it in her pickup most of the time. I'd rather she have something she will carry on her person, esp when she goes in to town.These Ruger .380's look plenty small and light enough to fit the bill. I've just never had any experience with any of these smaller pistols out there. Any others to take a look at?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

If she is going to be carrying it in her purse, I would recommend a revolver. It doesn't take much junk to jam a semi auto, whereas with a revolver it will still go bang. Check out the S&W 442/642 or one of the other lightweight revolvers. The Ruger LCR is also one to check out. Just an opinion from a revolver fan. By the way, my pocket gun is a 642 revolver.EDIT:The LCP isn't on the list of approved handguns for purchase in California, however, the LCR is. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

#3 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

if i'm not mistaken the LCP is a LE only gun unless your buying it used from a leo.+2 what braz said can't go wrong with a wheel gun, thats what my wife carries.

#4 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

I've got a couple LCP's. I carry one quite often, and my wife carries one as her main CCW gun. They are very light and small, so the recoil is very noticeable for a .380. It is uncomfortable to shoot more then a mag or two, especially for my wife. But most CCW's allow you to list 3 handguns, so you can change around guns depending on what your wearing, or carrying it in. The sights are very small, so we added laser sights. The one main advantage to it is the size and weight. You can basically carry it in your front pants pocket. But the trade off is punishing recoil for the females. I shoot .454 casulls and .44 magnums all the time, so recoil doesn't bother me much. But the trigger guard on this little gun will slam your finger and blister it after about 20-25 rounds. But again, it's extremely small and lightweight. And if your only going to shoot a few practice rounds at a time it would be fine for a female. And if the time comes to use it for self defense, you won't notice the recoil. It's better to have a small light gun that you will carry all the time, then a bigger heavier gun that you will not.

#5 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I figured the recoil would be an issue with such a small, lightwieght pistol. That isn't something that really bothers me, as she seems to handle it fine, and is strong for a female.She doesn't carry a purse, so I'm not real worried about that either. Going to check out the LCR now, I've not heard about it. She might like that better as she is more familar with a revolver... and then I can get an LCR for myself! :)

#6 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Last time I checked the LCP was not legal in CA for civilians because it does not have a side magazine release, hence making it not DOJ approved.

#7 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

its one of those loopholes that you can purchase one used FTF

#8 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Thanks everyone. Actually went and shot one today, for a .380 it is a snorty little guy. Way too small for my hands, but I think it might be managable for the wifey. Going to pick several out and then let her shoot them. She has been shooting some of my autos and said she likes them better now.Didn't shoot but looked at the LCR as well... all I can say about the LCR is it is the ugliest darn thing I've ever seen ;)I'm not real worried about the CA issue right now. We might move back to OR anyway. Been staying there some while working on the CA house. Only a few miles apart anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users