9 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

In the spirit of CA cottontail opener lets see those favorite rabbit recipes of yours!

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

Rabbit Breakfast SausageIngredients:1 dressed rabbit (6 lbs.) de-boned and cut up2 tsp. salt1-1/2 tsp. sage1-1/4 tsp. white pepper3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple2 TBS cooking oilDirections: In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In a meat grinder or food processor, process the mixture in small batches until coarsely ground. Stir in apple. Shape into 16 patties about 3 inches each. Heat the oil in a skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until sausage is browned and inside is no longer pink.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

1 dressed rabbit (6 lbs.) de-boned and cut up

I want to see a 6 lb. cottontail. :o :D :PHere are a few of ways I've cooked rabbit in the past and have enjoyed. Other meats can be substituted.FRIED RABBIT1 c. flour1 tsp. saltPepper to taste4 tbsp. cooking fat1 onion, dicedJuice of lemon (approx. 1/4 c.)Cut rabbit into serving pieces. Roll in mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Melt cooking fat and brown rabbit pieces. Add onion and lemon juice. Cover and cook until tender. After browning meat, I put in a crockpot on low for about 3 hours.SQUIRREL OR RABBIT ROASTClean meat well, making sure that all hair is removed. Cut into pieces. Roll in flour and brown in skillet (just enough oil to keep from sticking). Just brown, it is not necessary that meat is done. When browned, add water to cover. Put quartered potatoes, chopped carrots, quartered onion and salt and pepper to taste in pot. Put a lid on and cook on low-medium until done. This can also be cooked in crock pot. May add cornstarch or flour to thicken gravy.RABBIT AND RAISINS IN CROCKPOT1 rabbit, cut into pieces2 tbsp. Crisco1/2 tsp. salt1/4 tsp. pepper1 lg. onion, sliced1 tbsp. flour1 c. apple cider1/4 c. raisinsWash rabbit. Dry pieces thoroughly with paper towel; season with salt and pepper. Fry onion until lightly browned. Put into crock pot. Fry rabbit pieces on all sides and add to crock pot. Keep 1 tablespoon of fat from the frying pan. Add to this 1 tablespoon flour and stir for a minute. Add apple cider and raisins and bring to a boil. Continue stirring for 1 minute. Pour mixture over rabbit and onions in crock pot; cover and cook 6 to 8 hours on low heat.LOUISIANA CREOLE RABBITIngredients(4 servings)Cleaned rabbit(3lb) 1 ts Salt 1 ts Black pepper 1/2 ts Cayenne pepper 1/4 c Onion,chopped 3 Garlic cloves,minced 2 tb White vinegar 1 ts Browning sauce 1 can Mushrooms,drained(8oz) 1 tb Butter or margarine,melted 1 tb Parsley,minced 2 tb Green bell pepper,minced 2 tb Green onions,chopped 2/3 c White wine,dry Instructions1. Dry rabbit and place in bowl. 2. Combine salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion, garlic and vinegar; pour over rabbit, turning pieces to coat. 3. Cover bowl and marinade overnight in refrigerator. 4. Transfer rabbit and marinade to well-greased baking dish. 5. Bake in preheated 450'F. oven 1 hour. 6. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over rabbit. 7. Bake 30 to 45 minutes longer, until rabbit is fork-tender.BARBECUED RABBITIngredients:2 rabbits, quartered1 cup olive oil? cup vinegar? cup red wine1 small minced onion2 cloves minced garlicJuice from ? lemon5 tablespoons catsup4 tablespoons A-1 sauce? teaspoon cayenne pepperDash of Tabasco? teaspoon black pepperCooking Directions:Combine all ingredients except the rabbit in a medium saucepan. Mix well and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Place the quartered rabbits on a medium-hot grill. Baste the rabbits generously every 5 minutes with the sauce mixture, turning frequently. It will take about 40-50 minutes until they are done, make sure you have used all of your sauce. With this recipe the sauce is the key!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:29 AM

I thought the same thing when I saw it and wondered if it wasnt for a total of 6 lbs??

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:34 AM

I thought the same thing when I saw it and wondered if it wasnt for a total of 6 lbs??

Domestic rabbits can easily exceed 6 lbs. in weight so I'm sure that's what they were referring to.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

John, I am going to print out those instructions and give that a try tomorrow!errr ... the BBQ recipe.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

:smiley_kewlpics: for rabbit season.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 X EAGLE 23 X

X EAGLE 23 X

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Anyone know of any good recipes to make rabbit stew?

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

I just made rabbit stew the other day. 1 or 2 quartered rabbitsdozen cloves of Garlic ( I like garlic) crushed and dicedOlive oil (enough to coat the base of the pot)Can of Hominy drainedCan of Sweet Peas5 or 6 small potatoes fingerlings, russet your choice really1 Green bell pepper julianned 3 large carrots peeled and chopped into medium chuncks1/2 tablespoon powdered oregano or table spoon of fresh2 medium tomatoes dicedsalt and pepper to tasteWater1 LimeBrown garlic in olive oil with sliced bell pepper Add rabbit till browned Then add all the other ingredients and let simmer till rabbit meat falls off bone if there isn't enough liquid top off with some water Serve with fresh squeezed lime juice on topEnjoy :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

2 or 3 Cottontail rabbits, cleaned washed and cut into pieces1 Cup water11/2 cups barbecue sauseSpice Mixture: 3 tablespoons dry instant minced onions1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes1 teaspoon instant coffe grounds, crushed1/2 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon garlic powder1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1. Rub spice mixture into rabbit pieces and put in slow-cooker. Pour water over the rabbit pieces, cover and cook on low heat until meat is fall-apart tender, 6 to 8 hours.2. Remove meat from bones and discard bones. Becareful to remove all the fine leg bones.Drain off the water. Pour in your favoite barbecue sause and mix with wooden spoon.3. Serve on grilled wheat buns, with dill pickles and potato chips and your favorite beverage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users