7 replies to this topic

#1 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

I'm picking up my Taurus M44 on Tuesday (Thanks BigMatt!). I'm planning to put a scope on it. Something like the Leupold 2-6 or maybe a Burris variable. That said I want to work up a load that can be accurate out to 100yds or better and the LeverEvolution seems like they'd be the best bet for that goal with the ballistic tip. Targets will be Deer and Pigs and maybe Coyotes if I get ambitious.Has anyone played with loading these new bullets? If not I'm also curious about who's hunting with 44mag pistols.ThanksPS

#2 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

It's not a pistol, but a lever action .44mag using the Horaday LeverEvolution rounds. My son took this 150lb male in March. I used a 3" 12ga rifled slug. Both worked great.Attached File  1.jpg   22.1KB   15 downloads

#3 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

I would be very careful loading a Lever Action Rifle round into a revolver of the same chambering. Bullet Design may make the Over All Length to long for your Pistol to handle and it may also exceed the SAAMI Specification for your revolver. You may want to call the manufacturer (Hornady I think) and ask.

#4 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

They definitely have different bullets marketed for rifle and handguns in the FTX line. And they look cool in the cylinder. There are 225gr for handgun and another for rifle. There's also a 265gr (.430) for the .444 Marlin. I also intend to handload these not use factory ammo so I'll be going by published load data to start. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has LOADED these yet as they're pretty new still.http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=760

Attached Files

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

I might start loading for my 44s. They do look cool . Let us know how they work.

#6 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

They definitely have different bullets marketed for rifle and handguns in the FTX line. And they look cool in the cylinder. There are 225gr for handgun and another for rifle. There's also a 265gr (.430) for the .444 Marlin. I also intend to handload these not use factory ammo so I'll be going by published load data to start. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has LOADED these yet as they're pretty new still.http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=760

I'm hoarding a box of Hornady 265gr bullets.When I first bought them in the 80s,they were great.But in the 90s and 2000 had trouble finding them.Was just by plain luck I found this box on the shelf at Sierra Sports.Very accurate from my first Redhawk.

#7 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

...I also intend to handload these not use factory ammo so I'll be going by published load data to start. ...http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=760

I thought these were only available in loaded cartridges, not just the bullets? are you going to buy factory cartridges and disassemble?

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

I've tried them and got great accuracy from my S&W. Here's a link to an old thread I did about it.http://www.californi...?showtopic=7620

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users