Photo

Probably not the 1st person to have this problem...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

...whaddaya do when you have stockpiled so much ammo you cannot fit it into your primary, secondary or 3rd safe (short of buying a much bigger one)? I have alot more ammo than fireams, used every trick to squeeze room in the safes (no ammo cans...just ammo boxes neatly stacked, removed stock gun rack and used the Rifle rods and pistol hangers, etc) and still it won't all fit. Stop buying ammo? (that's a joke) :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Get the wife a second job and buy more safes and by adding on to the house of necessary. :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

What you have there is a serious problem. You need to send all the ammo you can't fit in your storage to me. Just PM me how much and I will provide you the address to ship it to. Problem solved.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

Personally, I don't keep my ammo in the safe. I have a metal cabinet with a lock on it, but it's not a safe.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I have a large concrete block building I keep most of my ammo in. I don't keep but a few rounds in my safes.

#6 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

No wonder there is a shortage :roflmao3[1]:

#7 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

I keep very little ammo in my safes. I do stack it on shelves in my spare/gun/computer room and in the garage. I also stack some on top of my 2 safes. No need to use up safe area which could hold another firearm.

#8 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

I worry about my ammo in the event a fire breaks out. I understand homeowners are liable if ammo causes damage, injury or death under ANY circumstances and that firefighters won't go near a fire if they hear ammo going off. I would wanna die if one of my bullets caused the death of my neighbor's little girls. Perhaps there's a safe way to store this stuff w/o other than a fire safe though...hmmm. I suppose, not being in a barrel the ammo might not actually "fire" the bullet...where did you guys find appropriate steel cabinets? Might be nice to store all my shooting gear (except for the firearms) in one locked place.

#9 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

keep mine in locked cabinets with dehumidifiers

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Don't worry about ammo causing a death if it is in a fire. The cases rupture and and the bullet has no force. Now if it is in a gun and the heat cooks it off then it's like any firearm going off.

#11 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

Like John said, it is a non issue. Actually a safe is the last place you want to store ammo or powder. Cartridges or powder will just burn off if not contained in the chamber of a firearm or something else (like a safe) that contains the pressure until it can explode. A cartridge that is burned will make a small 'pop' but not enough really do any damage. I've had .22LR cases get into the trash, and then into the burn barrel before. Heard them go off, but they don't even penetrate the rusty barrel.If ammo going off in a house fire was that much of an issue, the fire dept here would never go to a house fire :signs1180lq: Just keep it on a shelf somewhere.

#12 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

It ain't like the movies.....

#13 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

Dig a bomb shelter, who knows we may need it

#14 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

BC build the bomb shelter. If you buy food like you buy ammo we could eat for years. :lol: TY

#15 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

How about shooting some of it?

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

What do you do when you don't know how much ammunition you have? I found this in the garage two days ago, the last time I remember buying cases of Mil-surp was in the early 80's. :smiley-funny-post-sign: I bought it for a last resort thing along with some 7.62X51 NATO stuff that's got to be out there also. Posted Image

#17 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

How about shooting some of it?

Ended up with a large rolling cabinet that allows me to wheel it out quickly and easily. Just drag it to the truck and toss the shelves in one by one. Thanks guys. I'm ready for a mandatory fire evac.

#18 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Don't worry about ammo causing a death if it is in a fire. The cases rupture and and the bullet has no force. Now if it is in a gun and the heat cooks it off then it's like any firearm going off.

Gotta agree with John on this. I have first hand accounts with some 30mm HE cooking off about 30 feet away!!!

#19 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Yea, we are all programed by the phony cowboy movies where they toss a handful of cartridges into the fire and the bullets are zinging everywhere. Good stuff for the movies though.

#20 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

Come on Braz it's true I have been killed twice by flying bullets from a fire :signs121fj:

#21 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

You better slow it down. If I can do math properly, you only have 7 lives left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users