• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:11 AM

Well I made a bunch of ducks and geese on Monday. There were 4 Mallards, 2 Pintails 4 Gadwalls, 8 Green Winged Teal, and 2 Specks. I had breasted them all with skin left on, and injected them with a roasted garlic and herb marinade. Drizzled them all with olive oil and covered them with fresh chopped onions and a ton of fresh chopped garlic. Then I layered the top of that with a bunch of bacon and stuck em in the oven for about an hour. Came out delicious! My favorite was the specklebelly goose followed by the teal. My dad seems to think all ducks taste the same regardless of what it is. I however strongly disagree. Spoonys and ringnecks go straight into my pepperstick pile. Although it seems the birds we kill in or around the Sacramento refuge area that are eating rice seem to taste better than the birds we get in the Los Banos area. So what is everyone elses favorite waterfowl to munch on? And how about some favorite recipes?

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:34 AM

I don't much care for spoonies, widgeon, etc. Fortunately we don't get many of them where I hunt. I shoot mostly mallards and sprig and will go out of my way for a canvasback. We got a lot of cans when I hunted the Columbia River north of Wenatchee when I lived there. We often get a lot of mallards on our field sets for geese frequently getting limits of both in a morning of shooting. The best mallard shoots I've had over the years have been in Central Washington near Moses Lake at Potholes Reservoir and here in Oregon very close to my home. After a period of heavy snow in North Central Washington the Columbia River is a spectacular place to shoot ducks. I say shoot because they come bombing right in on the decoys and frequently land before you can react. It can be fast and furious. We've limited out in just minutes. Canvasbacks are open water birds and the Columbia has it's share of them so I like to save my last one or two birds of the limit, depending on the rules, to try and shoot them. Cans are my favorite duck. A good recipe I like a lot is a simple one. I made this just last night using beef short ribs instead of waterfowl.Cut the duck or goose breasts into bite sized cubes and roll in flour. Brown the cubes in olive oil. To me the best part of a duck or goose is the legs. It's the most flavorful meat on the birds so I add the legs into this dish along with the breast meat. Sometimes I save the legs in the freezer and just slow cook them the same way I do pot roast. Take a can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup and put it it a deep baking dish. Instead of mixing it with water use Burgundy or hearty burgundy wine. Mix it up good and then add the meat making sure that the liquid totally covers the meat. You may have to use 2 cans of soup. If you only have breast meat in the mixture you can cook it at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes but if you're using the legs and want them tender and falling off the bone turn the temp to 325 and bake it for about 2 hours. I like to serve this with short grain rice that we buy at an Asian market in Beaverton. The rice is unpolished and sticky and has a wonderful flavor. Even though the rice has a Japanese brand name it's grown in California. You can also buy Nikko Nikko rice in most super markets. It's not bad stuff. I also like to serve this dish with a wild rice casserole that I sometimes make. I've had people who say they don't like eating waterfowl eat this and ask for seconds.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#3 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Sounds pretty good Moe. I'll have to give that one a try. I have never eaten a Can but we killed a couple on Wednesday I hear that they are pretty good maybe I'll give that a shot. We have killed several Cans over the years but it seems like every time we kill one it is a perfect specimen and winds up on the wall. Same with Specklebellies, they are allways nice marbled up birds and they get mounted I forgot how great they were til the other night. I agree about the Widgeon. I've had good experiences with them and some bad ones. I guess it just depends on what they have been eating. Bryan

#4 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Widgeon have a high amount of animal matter in their diet. Too often they have that liver flavor and stink up the place when you clean them. One place that I've found them to be very good is on the Columbia once the snow covers the ground. Occasionally I'll want a few drakes for their feathers which I use for tying flies. Once the birds are in full winter plumage I'll shoot a few. For whatever reason the widgeon on the Columbia don't stink and eat good.Locally we have a lot of hazelnut orchards. Wood ducks feed in them at night and in the morning head back to water. Getting a limit of them isn't all that difficult. They're a greasy bird and I don't much care for the flavor but the skins are worth their weight in gold. I can usually find someone who likes to eat them. Other than brant specks are my favorite goose. We get very few of them around here and Umatilla where I hunt.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#5 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

Rice eating duck's I find also to be the best eating. I bbq most all my ducks, with a rub or a marinade of my choise. The ducks out of the slue water, like Napa river, grizzly my buddy trades to the mexicans at his work for beer :flag:

#6 Big Thunder

Big Thunder

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

+1 on the specks and teal but the last 2 years the snows have been really good almost better than the specks

#7 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

Dang that sounds good! I've tried many gourmet ways to cook my ducks. But my grandpas way has always served me best. Quick, easy, Holy cow GOOD!!! dice your breasts into 1/4, 1/3 " slices. teals are perfect size. mallards make about three and specks (MY FAV) make about four, five each breast. Marinade them in your favorite over night. a seedless slice of a pepper and a little scoop of cream cheese in the middle. of course wrapped with some thick pig belly (bacon) held together with a toothpick. seems to differ by a little on each cook. but roughly seven minutes is about tops on the bbq. just remember after you take the first bite, take the toothpick out! it's easy to forget when your eyes roll back in your head! just a quick recipe for you guys! hope you guys are smacking the ducks, a little slow up here. but i just killed a banded bull sprig last week!!!! ;)

#8 lewdogg21

lewdogg21

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

I do very similar but on the toothpick is a slice of jalopeno (i use jar'd b/c I can't take the heat of fresh), slice of red onion and then wrap in bacon. When done on the bbq dip in a sauce made up of Franks red hot and melted butter (butter tastes better than margarine). Sauce should be mixed parts wise to your taste.

#9 Hemiallen

Hemiallen

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

I need to copy this for my son, the duck hunter.ThanksAllen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users