5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

My main varmint mobile is a Toyota extra cab with TRD but a few months ago while visiting my youngest son in the Portland area, I spotted a scooter in front of a Honda dealership. Never had seen a Honda Ruckus so I pulled in and checked it out. Almost as bad as going in a gun shop.....next thing I knew we were loading the scooter in the back of my pickup. Shooter John asked me to post a pic about my hunting with the scooter. The ruckus ain't gonna win any beauty contests but it is a pretty high tech scooter. Powered by a 50 cc water-cooled engine, 4.3 HP, electric start, V-pullety auto tranny, top speed 37 mph, and it gets 100 mpg. Should mention that is is street legal. This scooter is perfect for puting around and doing drive-by shooting of ground squirrels, pigeons, crows, etc. I mounted a rifle rack on the handle bars which doubles as a rack to hold a handgun rest when I feel like using the TC. With various techniques, I can shoot either a rifle or handgun from the scooter very accurately. When I want to do a little calling, the scooter is easy to hide and has a super quiet exhaust so I can get fairly close to setups.Pictured is a coyote I called out of a cottonfield a couple weeks ago and killed with the TC using the .17 HMR barrel. Easy broadside shot 30 yards away......put a 20 gr. CCI game point square in the shoulder and the bullet exited behind the opposite shoulder. The coyote did the spin and bite thing a couple times and ran a few yards before collapsing dead.Posted ImageIt has been fun figuring out ways to carry all my junk on the little bike. The Foxpro goes on a little rack above the headlights, added a back platform to carry a soft ice chest, TC goes in an Uncle Mike's Holster bungeed to the frame in front of the seat, camera and coat go in a basket under the seat. Rifle goes on the handle bar rack. If you want to transport a critter, just throw em across the floorboard and hold em down with your feet so all the fleas can crawl up your legs. I haven't picked up any chicks with my hot new bike yet but I am optomistic.....haha! Posted Image

#2 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

Shooting the TC is the most fun from the scooter. The hand gun rest easily slips right out and can be used for dead steady prone shooting on the ground while calling varmints. When the TC is in the holster between my legs, no one even knows I am carrying a gun.Posted Image

#3 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

Steve - I got it for $1,895 in Oregon......no sales tax. Not all Honda dealers carry them because it requires a separate franchise from Honda....go figure? I would love to have a quad but too pricey for my retirement budget. A friend has a big Honda quad and he put the stealth kit on it and was very pleased. He said it cut the noise by more than half. If I remember right, that muffler was pretty dang expensive!Wish they still made the Trail 90.....I wore out two of them in the 70's and 80's.

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:21 PM

Bill,That is a great looking rig and it looks like you have pretty well adapted it for optimum use. I still have a Trail 90 that totes my rifle and gear sometimes. Steve,That 2-wheel drive rig was called a Trail Breaker. It's made by Rokon. I still see ads for them. I had one back in the 60's. A brute that would go anywhere but it was clumbsy to ride. And tempermental. I'm sure that they have improved them by now.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:35 AM

Bill, thanks for adding the pictures of your new ride. I knew everyone would enjoy seeing it. It's a great idea even for people not on a tight budget. They sell them in Carmichael just outside of Sacramento at Carmichael Honda. But there's tax on theirs. B) Maybe I should get something like this?Posted Image

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

Cool scooter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users