26 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

At this moment the only handgun I have is a 4 in. barrel Taurus model 608 .357 . Question: What game is suitable to hunt with handgun in California in .357/.38?

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

Russian Roulette?? lol :smiley_green_with_envy: :bleh[1]: :smiley_green_with_envy: :harhar1[1]: :eck05: Couldn't help myself. ;)

#3 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

Coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit. I wouldn't try deer unless I was blind or tree stand hunting with a range of 35-45 yards. If you get to Arizona the .357 is a good javelina caliber.

#4 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

Many thanks John Bishop. Finally a decent answer I could live with (for now).

#5 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

First off, welcome to the forum. Expect some humor and sarcasm, it goes with the sportsman territory. Something with a longer barrel would be much better for hunting. I have a .357 Colt Trooper III that is amazingly accurate. Of course, the barrel is 50% longer than yours though. A .357 w/ a 4" barrel is better for close & personal self defense than it is for the field IMHO. Definitely agree with the tree stand idea...a wounded pig might come straight at you.

#6 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

typically barrel length does not effect the accuracy of a handgun. However it does effect sight radius and that in turn effects YOUR accuracy with a handgun. Mounting a pistol scope on your handgun will eliminate site radius issues, leaving you, the caliber and cartridge as the factor that decides what you can hunt and how far out you can hunt it.

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Agreed. An undeniable advantage of longer barrels, especially with powerful magnum calibers, is that by placing weight toward the muzzle, they help reduce the punishment of recoil. They also do a lot toward muting muzzle blast. A 7 1/2-inch .357 revolver is much more pleasant to shoot than one with a four-inch barrel.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

Jacks are the most fun of all. I have not used shotgun for jacks for the last ten years, just seems mundane. If you can learn to shoot rabbits, still or running, with a pistol or scoped rifle, you have really accomplished something. You may only hit 10% of the time, if your lucky, but the satisfaction is well worth the wait. I have converted most people I know to this, and the first time they hit, they're hooked. Remember, it's not all about how many, it's about that 50 yard running jack you put down with 1 shot you never forget. Good luck and good hunting.

#9 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Agreed. An undeniable advantage of longer barrels, especially with powerful magnum calibers, is that by placing weight toward the muzzle, they help reduce the punishment of recoil. They also do a lot toward muting muzzle blast. A 7 1/2-inch .357 revolver is much more pleasant to shoot than one with a four-inch barrel.

To me Recoil only effects recovery time and has no Impact on accuracy unless your already sore, or you limp wristed a super magnum and got wacked in the head. I'm the type of person that gets a chubby when I shoot a .500 S&W Mag. My first handgun I ever Fired was probably Ed Lacy's .454 Casull. If you are getting sore in the web of your hand between the thumb and forefinger there are some shooting gloves that can help. Do not anticipate recoil. A drill My Dad had me do as a kid was he loaded up Ed's 454 with light 45 colt rounds and only 1 or 2 hot .454 casull rounds and had me shoot not knowing where the hot loads were. I learned to treat every round the same. Don't limp wrist your firearm, keep a firm grip on your Pistol Your firing arm straight and locked with your firing hand pushed into your supporting hand. Lean into the shot and not away from it. allow the recoil to push your body back allowing your body to absorb the energy from recoil. this causes very little barrel flip as your allowing the recoil energy to come straight back. The only down side to this is you may get a sore firing hand after about 100+ rounds on a super mag, Gloves can reduce this.

#10 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Many thanks for the six excellent pieces of advice. When and if the time comes I'll be sure to let you all know how it went. Also found someone that is ready to introduce me to archery...maybe to hunt as well.

#11 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Did I forget to add that with all Taurus revolvers (unless they are snub ose) they all come comped (mine has three holes on each side of my front sight). Question: So you suggest a scope would help even on a four in. barrel? What kind do you recommend?

#12 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

My S+W Model 28, had a 4" barrel.I could hit back then,pretty much under 12" at 100 yards.That's with open sights.And,no comp.Full house loads.Mostly with 158gr gr loads.For more than "sure hits",I'd stay about 50 yards max,with open sights.A scope on a 357,wouls more likely found on 7.5" on up barrels.A "Holo scope" might be a good choice.Unless some one can offer another choice.

#13 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:52 AM

Intruders

#14 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

What kind of ammo would you recommend for the 357 for coyote. Something im not sure about is if bullets are not suppose to contain lead right?

#15 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

+ 1 on the intruders ... .41 or .44 mag is a much better choice with at least a 6 inch bbl for hunting

#16 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit. I wouldn't try deer unless I was blind or tree stand hunting with a range of 35-45 yards. If you get to Arizona the .357 is a good javelina caliber.

Say John, I remembered what you said about what I could use my .357 on and since then have picked up a Browning Camper .22LR . Can you recommend anywhere in San Jose where I can use it on small game for starters?

#17 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

I really enjoy shooting ground squirrels with handguns. It's a bit of a challenge but if you have an area that hasn't been hunted really hard they are easy to get in range and it is good handgun practice. I like shooting Jack Rabbits also but they are not as much of a challenge.

#18 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

Say John, I remembered what you said about what I could use my .357 on and since then have picked up a Browning Camper .22LR . Can you recommend anywhere in San Jose where I can use it on small game for starters?

Sorry, I've never hunted in that area.

#19 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

I am surprised nobody mentioned Zombies.

#20 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Can a .357 Mag 158 gr JSP handle our California Black Bears?

#21 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

A .22 CAN kill a bear, but that does not mean it's the best option. Black bear are not the world's biggest or toughest game, but if you do have something a little larger, I would opt for it first. But if you do stick with the .357, a JSP is a wise choice, may wannt to consider a 180gr one too.

#22 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

In the 70's I shot a small deer with my 357, with a 158 grain bullet. I immediately went out and bought a 44 mag. It was a font shot right into the chest, but it took off and without my dog I would have lost it. The range was about 25 yards. I know that's only 1 instance, but it cured me from deer hunting with a 357. As far as Black Bear, only if its treed would I try with a 357 and I'd probably hit it as many times as I could. Although the 357 meets the legal minimum to hunt with in CA, I'd use it on the smaller game that was previously mentioned.

#23 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Since the last time I put a post up I have had  a lot of time to consider what was said here.      Humor I can deal with sarcasmI put up enough of with my own brothers.   So to be clear what can be used on what as far as my .357 goes it is suggested I get one with a 6in barrel and scoped correct?   At present in my ammo collection I have Buffaloe Bore hardcast ammo, Leverevolution ammo and not to mention alot of .357 semi-hollow points and hollow points.   Question which would be suitable for deer and what would be suitable for pig?

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

The hard cast ammo has the best penetration of the ammo you mentioned. I've always found penetration to be the best option over hollow points and such.

#25 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Some say that a hard-cast Keith style bullet is best for handgun hunting.  The sharp shoulder tends to cut every vein, artery or nerve that it touches.  Other bullet styles simply push things to the side as they pass through.  You might get some of Elmer Keiths books on handgun hunting.

Hard cast bullet metals start with a mix of 10% tin to lead for the bullet metal.  The most extreme I've seen in actual use was 50/50 lead and silver solder mix.

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Those are what I cast and shoot Gary.  The Keith style of bullets.  They're good for cutting trees down too! :lol:

#27 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Just my 2 cents, but if I was in your situation and going out to buy another revolver for the game you're considering, I'd get a larger caliber and longer barrel. A .44 Remington Mag or up and 8" barrel would be where I'd start. If you're serious about handgun hunting, think about single shot guns like a Thompson Center Contender or such. A 30-30 Contender is a much betters big game hunting gun and you can change calibers by changing barrels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users