21 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun; This is the DFG rule for the shotgun plug, I use a 1/4" dowel the correct length in the tube. As far as disassembling the gun, my Mossberg 12ga, you jusy need to unscrew the tube cap, slide it over and insert the dowel. Help me out on this one, Am I legal or not?TonyD

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

I think you are fine as long as it restricts the magazine to only two shells and as you stated you need to take the gun apart to remove the plug.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

So your dowel just rattles around in the tube when the gun is empty? All the plugs I've seen have a hat section that is captured by the magazine spring to keep it in place against the retaining plug. I think technically you are in compliance, since to remove it you have to unscrew the tube cap - which constitutes "disassembly". I used the largest dowel that would fit inside the magazine spring without binding it, and put a chamfer on the leading edge so the spring did not catch on an edge. I lost a plug in the field while rabbit hunting quite a few years back - a reload opened up in the magazine tube, jamming up the whole assembly (the shell case had seen one too many reloading sessions). When I unscrewed the tube cap the compressed spring shot the plug, retaining plug and tube cap out into the brush, followed by the spring itself! I managed to find everything except the plug - it probably launched into the next county...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

I haven't seen any after market items for this purpose, any ideas?

#5 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

just use dowel I have had one in my rem. over 25 years no problem, just a 3/8 dowel no ends no chamfers just a piece of rod, thousands of rounds and i never heard it rattle

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

Mossberg 500's just use a wood dowel. I cut a 3/8" dowel from Walmart to make mine. Works fine and doesn't rattle.RA

#7 link

link

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Traditional Hot Rods & Customs, Photography, Fishing and of course Hunting!

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

Same here. Just have a 3/8 Aluminum dowel.

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

A wood pencil will also work for a plug.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#9 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hear ya go......http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=853591

#10 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Every plug I've seen is larger on one end and is held in place by the magazine spring. It's really not hard to make one but since you asked for a suggestion I suggest you try Brownell's or call Mossberg for a replacement.As far as being in compliance you are. In all the years I've hunted birds I've been checked only once. I'm always in compliance, tho.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#11 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

Hear ya go......http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=853591

I just seen some of those at Bass Pro Shop. My only concern is that those might be to small for some shotguns and may not be as universal as one may think. Personally I like the cut to length ones that Brownells sells.Hell I've seen everything from twigs to spent shotgun hulls used as plugs in the past. Whatever works to keep you in the right, use it.

#12 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the input, The dowel works fine for me and it does not rattle, I was more concerned about being nailed with a ticket for not having something that was approved. The whole plug issue seems to be more for giving out tickets then anything else. What is the real reason for it?? Tonyd

#13 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I lost my plug and didn't realize till the night before, so I just put a chopstick in there and it works just fine.

#14 DonArkie

DonArkie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a company in the hunting industry

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

put 2 o-ring about 1" up on both endsof the wood dowel. This will take the rattle out
"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." Col. Tom Kelly

#15 brian.243

brian.243

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

I am sure you all know but if you are hunting coyotes with your shotgun there is no restriction on shell capacity

#16 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Or take a wood dowel, pencil, piece of tule, etc. Wrap it in electrical tape to take the rattle out or wrap a lot of it to prevent it from falling out with the cap off.Don't think I've ever been checked since I was a kid hunting on the refuge.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#17 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

I remember way back in the day they used to make a hallow plug that could carry a choke or two.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#18 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

I am sure you all know but if you are hunting coyotes with your shotgun there is no restriction on shell capacity

I must have missed that in the DFG regs, do you know where that is written down??

#19 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Good info here. The hunting instructor/fish and game warden At Bass pro shops uses wooden dowels on his gauge. So you should be ok. Im hoping someone can help me out I lost my plug cause i didnt hunt so i removed and lost it several years ago. So can some one get me a measurement on their stock plug. I have a Remington 870 express that can take 2 3/4 to 3in. I need to know the thickness and lenght to cut one out of wood.

#20 Mookie

Mookie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

So how do THESE affect the rules at only 1 3/4"? :smiley_kewlpics: http://www.gunbroker...?Item=157764604

#21 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Three rounds is three rounds. 1.75" or 3.5". Karl
Karl

#22 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Good info here. The hunting instructor/fish and game warden At Bass pro shops uses wooden dowels on his gauge. So you should be ok. Im hoping someone can help me out I lost my plug cause i didnt hunt so i removed and lost it several years ago. So can some one get me a measurement on their stock plug. I have a Remington 870 express that can take 2 3/4 to 3in. I need to know the thickness and lenght to cut one out of wood.

Trial and error. Start out a little long then see if two rounds fit. If not shorten it a little then try again.Karl
Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users