14 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:08 AM

I saw this in Cabela's latest catolog. Has anybody seen one yet? It's the new Nikon BDC recticle. It has fixed ranging circles on the crosshairs, which I assume are only accurate references on a particular magnification power. From the picture, it looks mighty intrusive to me, I like a clean sight picture.Posted Image

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

Too much for me. I might use a MilDot but likely not something like that.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

I guess it would depend on how thick those lines are. I wouldn't mind reference ticks like on the Leupold LRV scopes. Then again, for hunting, if it's past 200-300 yards, you probably have time to range it and adjust your scope.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

I want a scope that has that [ ] in the center like the missile and bomb targeting pictures you see on the Military Channel. You know the fire and forget or even a good reliable laser targeting model, some kind of HEAT seeker. :)

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

Then again, for hunting, if it's past 200-300 yards, you probably have time to range it and adjust your scope.

Exactly. And if you don't have the time to range it then it would likely be best not to take the shot any way and injure an animal.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

Exactly. And if you don't have the time to range it then it would likely be best not to take the shot any way and injure an animal.

I would take the shot anyway just aim for the spine if it drops 4 inches you would still be in the kill zone and if its in C,A you might never see it again....... :) I was checking that out in the catalog yesterday too.I was still trying to figure out how it works.If the scope had a internal range finder i could see it working out. Tasco has a scope with a range finder.

#7 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

I haven't seen one first hand, but here is a better picture of what the BDC is supposed to look like..Posted ImageScott

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

It looks like something I'd have on my bow more than my rifle. :rolleyes:

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Is it just me, or is that maybe not the best place to shoot a deer, considering his heart is right there a little bit lower. What do I know, I've never shot a deer before...

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

Actually that is a good shot. That will take out both lungs and a good chunk of the liver. I shoot all mine right about the shoulders so that I can eat them shoulders too!!Although, quartering away just a little more would be ideal. If that was the best shot that was presented I'd take it.

#11 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Is it just me, or is that maybe not the best place to shoot a deer, considering his heart is right there a little bit lower. What do I know, I've never shot a deer before...

It would work take out that shoulder and both lungs. Pull forword some more and take out the lungs and the other shoulder. And it depends on the cal. of bullet 300 wen or 7 or other mag . hes dead if your close 234 0r my 25-06 Id take the hart and lung. lower abet and forword. Yep too much stuff for me I get confused with just the X.

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

You're right, I must still be in ground squirrel mode. Where do you shoot a deer to get him to flip 5 feet into the air and do a couple of flips?

#13 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

Gernaids work well. :rolleyes: :D

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:24 AM

Deer run on adrenalin and instinct. Get them fired up and it doesn't much matter where you shoot them they run on you. I shot one in the heart one time and it ran almost two hundred yards through stuff I couldn't even get through. When I dressed it out it's heart was just sliced and diced. If it hadn't been for the blood trail I never would have found it. Their will to survive is amazing.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:24 PM

A buck in full rut can do amazing things. My last big whitetail ran 100 yards after loosing a top 1/4 of his heart, both lungs and a punctured liver!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users