3 replies to this topic

#1 knox35

knox35

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

Anyone know if they actually work. I just ordered one from BP. Should be here in time for this weekend. I have seen fresh tracks everymorning in the same spot. Talked to Fish and Game and by the pics of prints he is guessing 500 lb. range. Unless someone has dogs they want to come run it is my only choice. D-6

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

Knox35, Never used the cub call you mention but have called in a few blackbears over the years. They have all come into my dying whatever it is call. The main thing though is to keep on calling when you do see a bear as they seem to lose interest when you stop calling and wander off. Be aware that an occasional bear, usually a sow, will come in fast and be looking for trouble. It is exciting to call them in though....Good hunting,,,Walt

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:38 AM

I bought a cub call a couple of years ago... It does sound like a bawling baby bear and there were warning labels all over the package and the call itself.. so IM gonna guess that you should have some extra eyes and rifles when using it... Mama bears will come in looking to defend the baby, and the males will come in looking to kill it.. Either way be careful... I havent yet used it... Though if we get a chance to head up for bear before we go to Colorado again I might try it out ... I just hope it doesnt work too good cuz I dont want to be on the receiving end of a pissed off bear LOL

#4 knox35

knox35

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info. As sick as is sounds I would not mind being on the end of a really hungry or pissed off Black Bear I may change my mind and maybe my shorts afterwards but would be exciting. I will be using it this weekend for sure. I could not try it out last weekend Because I had my 8 year old daughter with me but this week I will be solo. I think I will climb on top of my jeep back it in the brush and hope for the best. It was still 10.00 well spent as I have a Halloween prank planed for this weekend. One of the guys in camp is scared to death of the dark even though he is the size of a Bear so I will be bringing a black cape mask call and a camcorder. Everybody will be in on it should be fun unless he tries to shoot me. Wish me luck he is convinced that part of the forest is haunted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users