22 replies to this topic

#1 koiloco

koiloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:10 PM

I received the Lee auto prime Hand primer today along with 3000 Federal small primer for my .223 reloading.After reading the manual, It SPECIFICALLY states NOT to use Federal primers.Are they blowing smoke up my a## or this is serious?I am new to reloading so I need your advise on this.If it's indeed UNSAFE to use then I have 2900 Federal Gold MEdal small rifle primers for sales at a great price :)BenSan Jose, CA

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

If it's indeed UNSAFE to use then I have 2900 Federal Gold MEdal small rifle primers for sales at a great price :)BenSan Jose, CA

Okay sell them to me cheap! :lol:As long as you are reasonably safe I don't think you'll have a problem. But I can't go against a specific WARNING like that. I'd send back the Lee and get an RCBS. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

Okay sell them to me cheap! :)

Dang, you should have posted this yesterday BEFORE I ordered 5K for myself. I would have bought them for cheap. :P As for the warning, I've heard that before. From what I've read, Federal primers are indeed more sensative than other brands. I just consulted my accountant, and he said since you can't use both the Lee unit and the Federal primers in your current position, there are two options.1. Get rid of the Lee hand primer and buy a superior RCBS model for $35. That way you can still use your stash of Federal primers and not worry about which brand migh blow you up in the future. You could even sell the old Lee unit on eB@y to help pay for the replacement, or keep both. Net loss: $22-$35.2. Keep your cheap Lee hand primer and sell all your Federal primers at a huge loss. Only buy other brands of primers (possibly lesser quality) from now on. You'll only get maybe $50-$60 for your "previously owned" stash of primers that cost you almost $100. Net loss: $40-$50. The more cost efficient option is to purchase a new RCBS unit and be done with it. I'd send you the spread sheets and charts via email. :P

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

Ben, I just finished up loading 1100 cases with the Lee Auto Prime II and Federal 210M primers instructions on that one also say not to use w/ Federal Primers. Just don't yank one in there and you'll be fine. Standard disclaimers apply, YMMV, etc.

#5 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

You'll shoot your eye out!!!! :lol:

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

You'll shoot your eye out!!!! :D

;) :lol: ;) As long as I don't have to wear the pink bunny suit when I head out next time... ;)

#7 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

Holey cow Batman, I have been on the brink of disaster for years !! I have been using my Lee primer tool on Federal primers with out incident since I purchased it in the early 80's. I could have shot my eye out :lol: Time to be extra careful. Question: why would the Lee be unsafe and the RCBS safe? Don't they work the same?

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Is it the shape of the pin that pushes the primer up into the primer pocket?

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Is it the shape of the pin that pushes the primer up into the primer pocket?

Wow, then I can turn my RCBS pin upside down and SHOOT my eye out! :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, I wondered why they made that thing with one end rounded off and the other end flat???? Anyways, I always keep my fingers/face clear of harms way while pushing primers in case one goes off. If your hand is near the case mouth when a primer goes off, you might be sorry.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

If your hand is near the case mouth when a primer goes off, you might be sorry.

Yep, it tingles. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

Primers can be really powerful. I did something really dumb as a kid once. It involved a rainy day, a 12g shell with the powder/shot dumped out, and a nail. Oh, and blood splatter on the wall. :lol: Let's just say it was loud, painful, and I'll never try that again...

#13 koiloco

koiloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

Thanks guy!For $35, I'll get the RCBS and keep both!I actually load a dummy round today after setting the press and die.I had a good time, especially with my 4 year old son helping me deprime :)He was quite fast with the press. :lol: Everything worked great!

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

Primers can be really powerful. I did something really dumb as a kid once.

I'll have to admit I had a primer powered incident and I was more than old enough to know better. I had just gotten some plastic practice cartridges that used a pistol primer to shoot in a .38. I'll admit it mentioned having a good background and to "Use with CAUTION!" Well, MR. Know-it-all here put a cardboard box on the sofa with the days newspaper stuffed in the back. The box had a rubber inner tube flap hanging down in front. I had used this hundreds of times shooting a BB gun into it. First shot from the pistol and I don't even see the flap move and I'm thinking what a dud! :lol: But then I think I see a small hole in the flap so I go investigate. Darn! The plastic bullet went right though the rubber flap through the newspaper backing and right through the box. Sure as can be there's a hole in the sofa cushion too. Shoot! I'm thinking bonehead maneuver here STUPID! The little plastic bullet had gone through the cushion and hit a wooden support in the sofa before exiting the back and embedding itself in the drywall behind it. Man-o-man was I shocked. ;) I've never even used them again because I was afraid I'd shoot my eye out or worse. Primers are way to powerful to mess with. I learned my lesson the hard way too. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#15 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

OK, since the original question has been resolved... I'm going to continue hijacking the thread :)Many moons ago (Howdy Doody could still be found on TV), me and a friend was playing in his garage. Low and behold we find a 357mag loaded bullet (we assumed it was loaded). We come up with the hair brained scheme of making it go off ! ! ! So we taped a marble to the bottom of the bullet. We threw the bullet up in the sky and ducked for cover! Bullet landed - nothing... We tried that a couple times but wouldn't go off? That was a good thing as god only know what could have happened if it did go off....

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

You went about it all wrong. :lol: The lead bullet will fall back to ground first because it's heavier than the marble. Second the marble is to big to properly depress the primer on impact.Now what you should have done is glue or tape a BB to the primer and tape the bullet to an arrow and throw or shoot it into the air. The arrow makes the bullet hit directly on the primer and B A N G ! Shot gun shells with the shot removed and the arrow inserted into the shell and shot the same way make awesome exploding projectiles. Of course I would NEVER have done this as it would be STUPID and DANGEROUS! ;) ;)

Time waits for no one--

#17 koiloco

koiloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

:) :o :D I think we, in this thread, have some common genes :) Thanks guy.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

:o :D :o I think we, in this thread, have some common genes :) Thanks guy.

You Bet! :D It's a common misconception that because we have common sense that we would use it when it come to things that could hurt us. The best way to show that is to say any of these words Fire cracker, cherry bomb or M80! Every guys face lights up, YAHOO explosives! :)

Time waits for no one--

#19 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

They put up the firecracker stand down the street a few days ago... I'll have to see if the wife will up my allowance this month. :) :) :D

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

They put up the firecracker stand down the street a few days ago... I'll have to see if the wife will up my allowance this month. :) :) :o

There's just something about fire and things that go B O O M! :D

Time waits for no one--

#21 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

I had a good time, especially with my 4 year old son helping me deprime

Just keep in mind that the primers are the most toxic part of shooting/reloading, that's where the lead poisoning generally comes from. That, and the tumbling media.

#22 koiloco

koiloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

Just keep in mind that the primers are the most toxic part of shooting/reloading, that's where the lead poisoning generally comes from. That, and the tumbling media.

thanks for reminding me. Wearing rubber gloves and mask should help, shouldn't it?What do you guys do to prevent lead poisoning around these stuffs?Thanks

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:21 AM

I don't wear the gloves or mask but I do try to keep the area as clean as possible. The problem with children is they pick something up and then put their fingers in their mouths.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users