8 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

I'm looking to try some new loads for 22-250 and 223 using Win 748 powder. I've been using Varget and IMR4198 but I'm getting tired of extruded powder so I'm looking for any one who has some load data, preferably with 55gr Vmax and Win 748 or any other ball powder for that matter. Thx!

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

My favorite 22-250 load is: 50gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullet36.5 grs of RL15 powder (max load / start lower)Win brassCCI BR 2 primerMuzzle velocity = 3909 fps from a 26" barrel in 80 degree temp.Accuracy is Consistently Outstanding! Some other powders may get as good as accuracy, but not the highest "velocity & accuracy combined"...Which is what you want in a "hunting" load. Some folks make the mistake of trying to obtain highest velocities with faster powders & this can be dangerous. It won't happen without excessive pressures especially in hot weather. Slower powders such as H380 & H414 @ approx 39.5 grs & the 50gr bullet were the next best in 5, 22-250's over many years. 3 of mine and two other friends rifles. Again your charge may vary.We had the best accuracy with approx 38.5grs of H380 & the "55"gr Nosler b.t. bullet in the 250. We did not chronograph these, but again velocity had to be at its highest.For the 223 you will get the highest velocity & best accuracy combination with either RL10X &/or Benchmark powders. Approx 23.5 grs & 26.5grs respectively w/the 50gr bullet. Your gun will likely vary. They chronographed at 3400 fps in 70 degree temp.However, we also had excellent accuracy with W748 & mag primer, but velocity was approx 100 fps slower. Same with Varget & standard primer. W748 works in every 223 I've seen and is the "single" most reliable powder for the 223. Mag primer is a MUST. Do not let anyone tell you different. Hodgdon & Win will tell you the same thing. (not sure about win anymore though). Ball or spherical powders need mag primers for "Consitent" results. Ours was around 26.5grs with the 50gr bullet.Hope this helps and Happy ShootingFrank

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

One piece of info I'll throw in here. Pet loads are generally specific to the gun they're shot from. There are occasions where a load will work equally well in another gun but not often. Always read your reloading manual and work up to a maximum load as Frank has mentioned. Have fun that's what it's about. :)

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

There are occasions where a load will work equally well in another gun but not often.

Ok, then would you care to explain why certain loads from premium ammo manufactures like Black Hills, Federal, etc seem to shoot very well in most* guns? And why a certain member's secret 223 40gr Vmax recipe shoots so well in a bunch of different rifles? :)There's got to be a logical explination why, for example, Federal's Gold Medal Match .308 win ammo shoots so well in so many rifles. It's not pure luck, there are certain "zones" or combinations of ratios of components that shoot better than others.This guy explains it pretty well, and he's got a logical method for finding the best recipe for your rifle. Dan Newberry's Optimal Chare Weight Load Developement

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

I can't begin to tell you why some loads work so well in a variety of guns except some cartridges are inherently more accurate in their design. His theory sounds great and I'm sure it works some of the time. But like anything else I've ever tried it doesn't always work. If it did why would people be constantly testing loads to find what works well in their guns? The new Savages seem to shoot about the same with certain loads. But I think that has more to due with consistency on Savage's manufacturing of their product. Also they are mostly the same models like the Savage model 12's. My Rem 788 and Model 700's don't shoot the same loads the same but they're both Remington's. My Remington, Winchester, Contender, Ruger and Colt don't shoot that 40 grain V-Max load quiet as well as my Savage but it's a pretty consistent shooting round. That harmonics thing he mentions is well stated and been proven too. Case loads that are max or near max are more often much more consistent too because the powder is packed more uniformly. I wish I knew of a sure fire way to come up with perfect reloads first time every time, but I am still experimenting.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

Too many variables, not enough time.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:27 AM

Too many variables, not enough time.

Exactly! :lol: If it was as easy as that guy said wouldn't the cartridge manufactures just have one load for each caliber? ;)

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:13 AM

They do. Each manufacturer offers their "best" recipe, meaning they think it will shoot well in most guns.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:17 AM

They do. Each manufacturer offers their "best" recipe, meaning they think it will shoot well in most guns.

No, I mean the cartridge manufactures not the reloading manual's. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users