#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

Well I have narrowed it down to a couple of choicesAll .223 of coarse ;) Purpose = Yotes and squirrels, Mostley Yotes.Prefer it to be light enough for carrying around hecks half acre.Must shoot well under MOA, by that I mean .75 or better.I would like to spend as little as possible but want under MOAChoices: In no paticular order.This one is 1:9 twist and runs about $800.00 http://www.cz-usa.co...etail.php?id=131:12 twist $700.00http://www.cz-usa.co...etail.php?id=141:12 twist, $529.00 in SS or $450.00 Bluedhttp://www.remington...S_Stainless.asp1:12 twist, $850.00http://www.remington...del_700_VSF.asp
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#2 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

Can't go wrong with the REM. 700 VSF nice rifle. But it is one of the more spendy than the rest but you get what you pay for.My vote REM. 700 VSF.

#3 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

If I were you.... (which I was not too long ago) I would be looking into a 22" pencil barrel in the Remington SPS line or the Savage 110. They are both shooters, will cost less then the ones above, and you'll have more money for optics!

Hey Steve:So you got the light barrel Savage correct ?How does it group ?I'm kinda leaning toward the SPS SS, that will save me $300.00and I already have an Elite 4-16 waiting to be mounted on something.So I could use the extra for reloading supplie's and one of those fancy swivel bipod's ;)

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

Do you want to shoot a barrel in 1 in 12 for a 223?

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

Come on just pick one. You know you're just going to turn around and sell it in a month anyway. ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:42 AM

Come on just pick one. You know you're just going to turn around and sell it in a month anyway. :P

Welll that was no help ;) I think you hurt my feelings :( I think I need counsuling ;) What I really want is a SS 700 with the HS stock and 24" midweight fluted barrel.But they don't that one :P That is another reason I'm thinking the less expensive SPS as later I can rebarrel and restock it.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

Welll that was no help :P I think you hurt my feelings :P I think I need counsuling :(

Sorry, but you know I'm telling the truth. ;) Buy the gun you want. Why buy the cheap Remington and then try and reinvent the wheel by having to re-barrel and change it. Some times the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. Remember the NEF? ;)

Time waits for no one--

#8 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

Some times the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. Remember the NEF?

Talk about pouring salt in an open wound :P I'm still considering the VSF but I just don't another heavy rifle, and I can't cut the barrel down without hitting the fluting :( SO I'm also considering the CZ with the Kevlar stock as it is lighter and 1:9 twist.But that will push $900.00 as it does not come with rings and it only uses CZ rings and they are another $50.00 ;) They know you have to have their rings but don't include them ;)

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:08 AM

Plus I don't like the clip hanging out of the bottom of CZ rifles either. ;) Buy the cheap Rem and put a pencil barrel Pac-Nor barrel on it. Then you can have it as short as you want it.

Time waits for no one--

#10 Sully

Sully

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Auto Racing

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:48 AM

Look at the Remington 700 LTR, it has a 20 in barrel, 1-9 twist. Probably my next gun.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Just out of curiousity, why aren't you considering a Savage?

#12 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

Just out of curiousity, why aren't you considering a Savage?

Been there Done that, it was a great rifleJust want something different ;) And something lighter

#13 Sully

Sully

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

Went the same direction you are going. I do alot of hiking and wanted a lighter 223. I went with a Browning A bolt Varmint Stalker. It weighs 7.8lbs. With bipod and scope still around 10lbs. A friend of mine has a Rem 700 ltr (Light tactical rifle) and wieghs about the same. The Browning was about $200 less and had a 1-12 twist. The 700 ltr has a 1-9 twist.

#14 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

Almost bought the CZ Kevlar Varmint today $700.00 :( It was all I could do to walk out the without it ;) They also had a Rem. 700 VS for $720.00 but that thing is heavy, of coarse I could cut the barrel down 2" and have it fluted.Somebody Help Me, PLEASE :P

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

A friend of mine has a Rem 700 ltr (Light tactical rifle) and wieghs about the same. The 700 ltr has a 1-9 twist.

That 700 LTR is from their military division and not supposed to be available to the public.http://www.remington....com/700ltr.htmIt's just an all black version of my 700 VSF. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

Are there two sling posts up front?Posted Image

#17 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

It's just an all black version of my 700 VSF

Hey maybe you should sell me that cheap since you don't shoot it.I know you don't shoot it cause your Savage gets all your attention

#18 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:26 PM

Hylander,Have you considered a Contender? The price is right at around $500.00. You can get it in .223 with a 23" barrel. Its short and light. I shoot a 50g. Hornady SPXP and as of late have not had a passthrough on coyotes. This load shoots sub OA as long as I do my part. It's a great walking gun.Steve

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hey maybe you should sell me that cheap since you don't shoot it.I know you don't shoot it cause your Savage gets all your attention

Me sell a gun! :blink: You've got to be kidding! :lol: :o :o

Time waits for no one--

#20 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hylander,Have you considered a Contender? The price is right at around $500.00. You can get it in .223 with a 23" barrel. Its short and light. I shoot a 50g. Hornady SPXP and as of late have not had a passthrough on coyotes. This load shoots sub OA as long as I do my part. It's a great walking gun.Steve

I have been considering an Encore with 24" barrel.I had a Contedender and liked it, don't really know why I sold it :blink: Handled an Encore the other day and it felt really good.But know I'm wondering if I should save for the 700 VS SF But I think it will be about $900.00 :lol: and it is still heavy.

#21 Sully

Sully

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

That 700 LTR is from their military division and not supposed to be available to the public.http://www.remington....com/700ltr.htmIt's just an all black version of my 700 VSF. :blink:

My local gunshop in Orange County has 2 LTR's and there is always a few on gunbroker.com. The LTR has a 20 inch barrel (1.5lbs lighter) and comes with a 1 in 9 twist. The VSF has a 26 inch barrel and a 1 in 12 twist. The origional intent of the LTR was for military and police but they are now available to the public

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

My local gunshop in Orange County has 2 LTR's and there is always a few on gunbroker.com. The LTR has a 20 inch barrel (1.5lbs lighter) and comes with a 1 in 9 twist. The VSF has a 26 inch barrel and a 1 in 12 twist. The origional intent of the LTR was for military and police but they are now available to the public

I knew the barrel is longer on my VSF and that the twist was 1 in 12 on it too. But I only posted what I read from Remington. I guess they can't sell enough to the military to make it worthwhile.

Time waits for no one--

#23 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

I just got back from wild sports, they have two LTR's on the shelf.

#24 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

What about a used ADL?I love my 30-06.

Nope:It doesn't have a floor plate and later I would want a differant stock that had the floor plate.I found a new VS today for $720.00Blued no flutingAlso an Encore in SS for $675.00

#25 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

That Encore and changeable barrels woud be tempting!

#26 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

I used to have a 700 VS SF, it's on the heavy side. How about an inexpensive Savage pencil barrel, with an aftermarket stock? That'll still be lots cheaper than a Rem, even if you go with a stainless Savage. You could even have it shipped out for a coat of DuraCoat or camo dip or something.

#27 natural

natural

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting of course !!!

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

Hylander,mabe this will help, although they used 22-250's. http://www.outdoorli...,599202,00.html I found it today on lunch. You know im lookin around as-well. I've just glanced at it but I beleve it saysout of the varmint rifles tested, the savage 12BVSS, was the best grouping and best in its class out of the box. Even with all the different ammo they used. the rifles were Remington 700 VLS, the Savage M-12BVSS-S and the Ruger M-77 Mark II Target, and a Browning A bolt. Good luck... I think im going with a savage :) In a 223!-Andy-
Andy

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

Hum? I happen to have two of those Savage Model 12 BVSS's. One in .223 and one in a .204 that I've only shot like three times. My .223 shoots great. The .204 shoots great but I don't care to load for it. I have a huge collection of loads for the .223 and can do anything with it. The BEST out of the box gun I've ever had. They're heavy though but if you want to hit what you're aiming at way way way out there, it's the gun to get. :) Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#29 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

I almost bought it:I think I'm going back tomorrow and get it.It list's for $700.00 He is giving it to me for $700.00 OTD and throwing in a set of $55.00 scope rings for free :P What do you think, be HonestGood gun, good price ? bad gun, bad price ?I already know it's Sexy :) Posted Image

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

The only thing I don't like about them is that darn magazine hanging down. They don't rattle too much but I kept hitting and catching it on my bag rest. But they are great guns and I think it's a better buy than the Remington. Maybe not a Savage but you don't want one of those again. Mags can be pricey but you only need two and they don't cost as much as my Rem 788 mags. :)

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users