13 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

Muzzy 3 blade are they good hunting tip does anyone used them etc.what is a good hunting tip these days I have been out of the loop for years.arrow rests I keep seeing whisker bicuts on tv are they any good ? I don't want to bother with a drop away.arrows other than getting the right pound what's the difference with all the types of brands?

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

Muzzy's are highly regarded, and have taken countless deer as I read on the Archery boards. My personal favorite broadheads are Montec G5's and the Shuttle T lock. You really can't go wrong with any of the quality fixed blade broadheads available today.Whisker biscuit's are popular with the tree stand crowd - you can nock up an arrow and hang the bow on the tree next to you and never worry about the arrow falling off the rest when the bow is retrieved when a deer approaches. I see them alot here in Ohio where I've been working this past year, but I rarely see them on the west coast where our style of hunting is mostly spot and stalk and ground blind ambush. In fact, of all the dozens of weekend tournaments I've shot this year I've never seen anyone using them in the So. Cal area. I know you don't want to "bother" with them, but drop away's are probably the most popular rests out there, and really once they are setup and timed properly don't need any more attention. I haven't touched mine in over three years.Arrows - all the major brands build a good arrow and there are only minor differences in construction between them. I shot Goldtip Hunters for years and had no problems whatsoever with shaft straightness and durability. This year I've been shooting Easton Axis FMJ's and love them also, but would not hesitate to build up another dozen of the Goldtips or any of the Victory line. I guess with arrows the only thing I would recommend is to stay away from anything sold at Walmart or the big box sporting goods stores. They almost always have cheap materials and construction, and one nightmare you do not want is a carbon arrow blowing up and shredding your hand on release. I've seen way too many pictures of the aftermath.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Whats a arrow rest ? just use a chunk of fur :harhar1[1]: The fall away types are great , I think the whisker things look like alot of trouble loading the arrow. Don't skimp on the arrows ! Eastons are good. Muzzy and Montecs are great . Baja is right on in what he said. So wheres the picture of your new toy? what pound is it ect. What I do not like about the whisker thing is that incircles the arrow too much of a chance of the vanes making contac with them. Keep it simple. Also if your going to use sights (sissy stuff) get good ones not the cheapo stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

It's not a new model not much to see. I think its a early 2000 model browning Mirage. Next year I will get a newer model.Those things cost as much as a new rifle !

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

How can we make fun of it without seeing it! :signlol2iu: Sounds like a good bow even if it has training wheels :harhar1[1]: Get it going so we can go get some fuzzies.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

Golden archery is going to tune it and set me up with some arrows they seem to be good people on the phone.I just need to make the 45 minute drive out there to oakydale.

#8 sako222

sako222

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

G-5s montech or nap hellrazor both real good,Wisker slows things down little too much most all drop aways are good.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

Golden archery is going to tune it and set me up with some arrows they seem to be good people on the phone.I just need to make the 45 minute drive out there to oakydale.

http://www.golden-ar....com/index.html Say hi to Chris the owner when you get there and ask him where he's been. LOL

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hey Shoot it, I don't know if you are aware of Broken Arrow Archery here in Merced. Shop owner is Gary Belcher, he can take care of everything you need. He carries arrows, rests, broadheads, etc. Everything you might need and he is very helpful and informative.

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hey Johnny when you go stop buy I will go . OK what I realy want is that cow horn :harhar1[1]:

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

sorry thumper I sold them all on PM.....................J/k I will get that to you buddy

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

I will just come buy with a hack saw . You hold down one of your uncles bulls and i will do the sawing. :D Let me know when you go out there I will show you how to shoot :D

#14 ffcoyote

ffcoyote

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

There is nothing wrong with the whisker biscuit rest the main benifit is the it will hold the arrow nocked while stalking. the whiskers are meant to be passed through by the vanes just make sure the cock vane is up. The black whiskers on the bottom of the ring are a little stiffer than the brown ones. as far as broadheads I shoot G5 Montecs for big game and muzzy for everything else. Fixed blades in my opinion are the way to go, you have enough to worry about while bow hunting, so why worry about if the tips are tight on your replaceables.(happened to a good friend, now he shoots fixed.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users