4 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

What's a good 4lb mono line for my ultra-lite rig? Seems all of the "good" stuff out there is 0.008" diameter. A few years ago you could find 0.006" but not anymore. I can't cast as far as I used to with ultra-lite gear. Whazzup? Maybe I should start shopping online instead of at Chinamart, but a lot of internet stores don't list the diameter.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,483 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:06 PM

Just stay away from the fluorocarbon lines they have zero knot strength and if nicked break easily.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

Stiff Neck you look for a good line or just the smaller diameter?
Rocklin,Ca

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

I used to like the gray box Berkley Triline 4lb mono because it was .06" diameter and I can cast size 0 and 00 Mepps spinners really far with it. The last few years I've been using 4lb Triline XL ultra limp .08" diameter because that's the thinnest I can find at stores. It casts ok but not as well as thinner line. With this thicker line, my casting distance is reduced by about 1/3 I'd guess.I don't care what brand I use, I just want to be able to cast really far like I used to be able to with the good ol' stuff. I do most of my fishing in small high sierra lakes for golden and brook trout, and some bass and panfish at lower elevations but still up above 5000 ft. For me, the ability to cast small lures and worms very far is crucial. I use mostly ultra small spinners and unweighted 2" worms, or a casting bubble with size 18 dry flies on 2 lb leader.

#5 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:08 AM

I use the regular old stren but have no clue as to dia. Sorry I couldn't help. But I do need to go fishing ya'll are making me jealous just talking about it.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users