11 replies to this topic

#1 rtlltj

rtlltj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:36 PM

On other forums I have read contradicting info on whether non lead ammo is required while carrying a handgun while hunting in the condor zone. From what I've gathered non lead ammo is required. What ammo are you guys using for calibers such as 9mm, .40, .45 who are carrying semi autos since it seems its harder to find? I'd like to carry a sidearm with the amount of cartel pot growers living in the wilderness.

#2 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

I carry a 44mag but haven't loaded anything leadfree yet. If you are in the condor zone ANY firearm you carry must be loaded with LEADFREE ammo...no exceptions.DFG lists all the approved manufacturers but Dakota Arms/ Cor-Bon uses Barnes bullets for the calibers you're referring tohttp://www.dfg.ca.go...ate-6-23-08.pdfhttp://www.dakotaammo.net/There are a couple other ammo manufacturers out there but from what I've seen they all use Barnes bullets for pistol calibers.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

I have my 45 loaded up with lead free rounds.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

Let me guess, with 4.1 grains of Clays as well ;)Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

glad I don't hunt in the condor range.

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

I only loaded up 20 rounds or so of the lead free stuff. They sit in my spare mags. That way I just grab the mags I need and head out the door. Avoids a lot of issues. Although I will probably make my next batch from Universal instead of Clays to get a bit more pop out of those lighter weight Barnes bullets.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

Let me guess, with 4.1 grains of Clays as well ;)Darren

How did you guess? Thanks for the load info :signbummer8tl:

#8 rtlltj

rtlltj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

I guess I'll have to order some since I don't reload my own yet. Gotta love laws that make no sense. If I'm carrying a pistol for self defense why would I shoot a varmint with it and not just use my hunting rifle.

#9 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

I carry the pistol for multiple reasons: self-defense and surprise animals (yotes, cats, etc) that you cannot swing on fast enough with a rifle. My Sig P220 sits right next to me on the ground. Just reach down with my right hand and take the shot. After having been surprised a couple of times on stands it only makes sense.Darren

#10 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

I bought some Cor-Bon DPX 9mm lead free ammo. Its what I carry in my backup gun. Sequoia NF has ALOT of Marijuana groves... :roflmao3[1]: plus I hunt by my self

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

I carry a 44mag but haven't loaded anything leadfree yet. If you are in the condor zone ANY firearm you carry must be loaded with LEADFREE ammo...no exceptions.

Not quite true. You might want to read a little closer.What are the regulations for possessing lead projectiles within the affected area?The Commission prohibited the possession of lead projectiles and a firearm capableof firing such projectiles, while big game or nongame hunting within the specifiedrange. Otherwise, lead projectiles may be possessed.The Department’s Law Enforcement Division will be interpreting and enforcing theseregulations. If you have a scenario where you are not sure of legality, it is recommendedthat you contact a local DFG warden to seek guidance.Key words again being "while big game or nongame hunting within the specified range". Again, rabbit are considered small game.257. Resident Small Game Defined.“Resident small game” means the followingresident game birds: Chinese spotted doves, ringedturtledoves of the family Columbidae, Californiaquail and varieties thereof, Gambel or desert quail,mountain quail and varieties thereof, blue grouse andvarieties thereof, ruffed grouse, sage grouse (sagehens), white-tailed ptarmigan, Hungarian partridges,redlegged partridges, including the chukar and othervarieties, ring-necked pheasants and varieties, andwild turkeys of the order Galliformes; and the followinggame mammals: jackrabbits and varying hares (genusLepus), cottontail rabbits, brush rabbits, pigmy rabbits(genus Sylvilagus), and tree squirrels (genus Sciurusand Tamiasciurus).Nothing illegal about carrying lead when hunting rabbits. Hell, truth be told, we hunt jacks with .243's, 30-06's, and even 45-70's. We also use quite the assortment of pistols. Best way I know to learn to shoot a gun with confidence and accuracy is to shoot it repeatedly. While it may be overkill, it is NOT illegal to carry a .500 S&W mag with lead bullets to kill rabbits. JUST DON'T SHOOT NONGAME OR BIG GAME ANIMALS WITH IT. They can't cite you unless you do just that.Please don't let the state push you around for lack of knowledge or fear. Just throw a copy of the regs with these sections highlited in your pack and you'll be good to go. Good luck and good hunting.

#12 bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hunting, shooting, optics, scuba, boating.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

I hunt in the condor area and load my .357 revolver and .45 auto Glock 30 with Cor-Bon DPX. The choice of which sidearm to carry while hunting depends on the area. If I'm in a snake area I carry the revolver and swap in a couple rounds of snake loads. It's easy to rotate the cylinder to be prepared for the biggest threat at the moment. Otherwise, I take the 45. The snake loads put me at risk of a citation that I haven't figured a way around yet. While they have lead shot, the bullets in the rifle and sidearm I'm carrying are non-lead. I'm gambling that the game warden will agree with me that any big game or nongame animals I shoot will logically be taken with the non-lead bullets. Snake is edible, but is not small game. Any help here would be appreciated. The small game exclusion in the condor lead-free area doesn't help folks much. Personally, I don't know many people who would limit themselves to rabbits if there were a ground squirrel within range. The logic behind that code was that small game hunters actually took their game with them from the field. That seems flawed to me, and I doubt the small game exclusion will survive very long. Obviously if you were caught by a game warden in the condor area with your .300 Win mag rifle loaded with lead bullets, and he asks you what you're doing, the proper answer would be, "small game hunting!"
___________NRA Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users