10 replies to this topic

#1 rtlltj

rtlltj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

I'd like to get into some coyote hunting and I figure I need to get started with some calls. Am I on the right track with these calls? I have no prior experience so I'm a complete beginner. If you guys have some better suggestions let me know. I figure I need a dvd since I don't have anyone to show me how the calls work. Dan Thompson - Long Range Standard PC-1 ( long range distressed jackrabbit)Dan Thompson - River Bottom Coaxer PC-3 ( distressed cottontail)Dan Thompson - Predator Calling with Dan Thompson DVD or Dan Thompson - Making An Impact On Coyotes DVDHere's some combo packs I can order as well:undefinedundefined

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

rt, you are absolutely on the right track. Dan Thompson calls are excellent. That PC-3 is an outstanding, LOUD, HIGH pitched sound that coyotes can't seem to resist. We've probably called more coyotes with that call than all our dozens of other calls combined, including E callers. AND the PC-3 really is not a "coaxer" (even though they call it that) but actually a cotton tail call. Thompson's, Weems Replica is another. Sceery(I like AP-2), Circe & others I can't think of right now are also good ones. A Dakota Yote (bulb) mouse squeaker is another good one & have called in dogs with that exclusively. A howler is a good idea, but perhaps better for later on. "ALLPREDATORCALLS.COM" on the net is a GREAT one stop, shop to purchase this stuff.Your 2 choices of dvd's are TOPS / Exceptional. I would also recommend at least one of Les Johnson's... but only AFTER both of Randy's that you chose of course.Good LuckFrank

#3 yotehuntinsoldier

yotehuntinsoldier

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

I also have the PC-3, and PC-1. Both are incredible calls. They seem to be my "go to" calls whenever I'm not getting any action. I also like Tal Lockwoods "Tally-Ho".

#4 rtlltj

rtlltj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Looks like I'll have to start driving the neighborhood dogs crazy.

#5 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

Looks like I'll have to start driving the neighborhood dogs crazy.

I also suggest looking in to Primos Randy Andersons series calls and DVDs very helpful for a beginner I have them and they are great!

#6 yotehuntinsoldier

yotehuntinsoldier

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Yessir. I watched one of Randys dvd's for about 3 months before acutally going hunting. I simply imitated his calls(poorly), but got a yote in on my very first stand. Very effective!

#7 rtlltj

rtlltj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

Put in my order at allpredatorcalls last night! The places I'm thinking about hunting are not a short drive so I was thinking about going to a few places within 10 minutes where hunting is not allowed and practice calling. I figure it can't hurt to practice whether I'm going to actually take a shot or not. Is this idea dumb?

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

Is this idea dumb?

ONLY if you do not have a shotgun or handgun or some other defensive weapon with you...The reason I say that is, even small, especially wild animals can inflict serious injury... and you ARE the bait that is enticing PREDATORS... never, ever forget that. Not to mention cougars & bears answer these calls... along with rabid animals.Sure the odds are slim of any harm coming, but the (slim) odds do not mean anything when YOU are the one it's happening to. Sorta like airplane crashes. Sorta! Remember the lady that was just recently "filleted" by 5 racoons? Amazing she is still allive; So far!Now, let us know how you do :signs165xk: Frank

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Don't forget to check out our website for calls and predator hunting information. Our calls are all made in the USA and we stand behind our products for as long as you own them.

#10 rtlltj

rtlltj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

Yea I think I'll bring a sidearm along since you never know if a mountain lion is going to show up or a rabid coyote.

#11 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

Practice is a good thing but just do what a lot of us do...practice in the truck while you are driving somewhere, preferably by yourself (unless you want your wife giving you the evil eye). Also I wouldn't practice around town...people will think you're torturing a dog...or if they can't hear you but can only see you they think you are lighting up the crazy pipe.I'll second checking out Reds calls (see above). He makes good stuff.You can't go wrong with the Dan Thompson call either...I've been using them a long time...waaay before the internet. Check out his PC-2, it's one of his best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users