120 replies to this topic

#61 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

You can, 50 bucks in paint you're good to go. You just need to convince your wife you just have to do it.

#62 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

You can, 50 bucks in paint you're good to go. You just need to convince your wife you just have to do it.

It's not so much my wife as the fact my XJ is my daily driver. In my work environment, I already kind of stand out. :harhar1[1]: If I drove something else on a daily basis, I would go solid tan or straw method or maybe even a desert digital pattern.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#63 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

I was thinking of that straw method from the door handles down(right at that body line). but for now solid tan will do.

#64 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

The Jeep looks great! Your project is really coming together.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#65 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

Is that Krylon Tan?? Also, are you painting the fenders black?? If it was me, I'd paint the fenders the same color as the rest of the Jeep. I really like tan for a desert hunting rig.Yeah, if you go the roof rack route, you really don't need the added expense of a rear mounted tire.

I agree. I had a rear tire carrier and it was a PITA (looked nice though). But when you pull up and see a bobby staring at you, you'll wanna get your rifle out quick and if your gear is in the rear, it's more hassle and noise than it's worth. The tan looks awesome!

#66 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

OK, I installed the rack on the jeep. I still need to fabricate the tire rack but need to get a full size spare first. I also want to put a mount for a shovel on the other side and a couple of tabs for back up lights and then the rack will be off the list and it will be on to a rear bumper.

Attached Files

#67 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

Built a drawer to keep the stuff organized while hunting or whatever, just need to get some carpet and it's good to go

Attached Files

#68 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Ron, that's a nice looking drawer. It doesn't look wide enough to put a rifle in it unless you have a 16" barreled AR-15 with a collapsible stock. That would hold some hand guns though! You're hunting rig is coming along just great!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#69 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

You're right, My AR fits in it and my 10-22s other than that I plan on using it for shooting sticks, my chair, callers, decoys, a small tool kit, and some recovery equipment. After it'c carpeted I plan on installing so flush tie down points to secure ice chests or whatever. Thanks for looking, Ron

#70 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:59 AM

looks good ron.

#71 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

Built a drawer to keep the stuff organized while hunting or whatever, just need to get some carpet and it's good to go

Looks good man! I have contemplated doing the same thing, but I wanted it to hold my 28" Beretta Shotgun and Tikka T3 Lite. It's just not wide enough back there to accomodate the Beretta in a drawer.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#72 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Looks great...seems this thread / your jeep has taken a life of its own on here! haha..wondering if SJ was considering adding this as a dedicated forum topic?!? LMAO -- Ron's Jeep Project...good going on the vehicle dude!!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#73 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks guys, I love fabricating and building stuff for my jeep and like the compliments. WKC, your long gun will fit corner to corner but you'll sacrifice room in the drawer. I still fill it up with the smaller stuff that is hard to keep organized and put the long guns on top of the box. you can make th box a little shorter and put the guns between the seat and the box to get them out of sight if that's what you're looking for. Ron

#74 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

So I got some new meat on the jeep this weekend and on the way home realized the tires were rubbing. When I got home I checked it out and foun tat they were rubing on the lower control arms. At this point I have 2 choices 1)buy wheel spacers 2) buy new rims with a better backset. I checked the price on the spacers and they go for about 160 bucks a pair and then went back to discount tire and checked on some new rims. The price on the new rims were 200 bucks plus 20 bucks to install and balance so I figured I'd go with new rims since I don't think spacers are that good anyway.here she is with the new shoes.Attached File  2.jpg   26.77KB   6 downloads Now I can finish the rack by fabricating the tire mount and light tabs, Then I need to come up with a name for her.

#75 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

You made the right choice on getting the rims. They work out for you much better in the long run and won't give you undue problems in the future. It looks good.

Time waits for no one--

#76 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

Your Jeep looks great. I am assuming you have a 6-cylinder engine in yours too. I love my old Jeep and it does go through just about everything...without even using the 4-wheel drive. I think their light weight and balance really helps them cruise through the back country.As far as camo painting is concerned, I have never had any bad feedback or bad experiences with my rig. Actually, everybody seems to love it. I get loads of thumbs-up on the freeway and ladies comment all the time about how they like it. I also find that people don't bug me in traffic or do stupid things in front of me. Perhaps the camo intimidates some too. Anyway, it's worked out very well for me and the super dull Krylon camo colors work like a champ and last a very long time.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#77 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

and ladies comment all the time about how they like it.

:wub: :roflmao3[1]:I couldn't pass that one up. :good:

Time waits for no one--

#78 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi Red, your vehicle looks and performs great. I do not want to burst your bubble BUT the ladies at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine are transvestites. Red, they're guys dressed like women! Regardless, the vehicle looks great. Keep the photos coming. The other guy that wanted to put the rack on his vehicle, well, THAT rack goes IN your vehicle!

#79 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

Shooter John: I am afraid those days are gone by the wayside :1019: LOLJim T: That's it for you. :1019: Here I thought those "ladies" liked my paint job and all they're out for is a cheap predator hunt. As the soup Nazi says, "NO HATCH FOR YOU!" LOL
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#80 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi Red, your vehicle looks and performs great. I do not want to burst your bubble BUT the ladies at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine are transvestites. Red, they're guys dressed like women! Regardless, the vehicle looks great. Keep the photos coming. The other guy that wanted to put the rack on his vehicle, well, THAT rack goes IN your vehicle!

I would have that rack in or on my jeep no matter as long as I have it!

#81 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

Lookin good Ron. What wheels did you get?? I have contemplated getting steel black rims for mine as well.

#82 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

Lookin good Ron. What wheels did you get?? I have contemplated getting steel black rims for mine as well.

I will have to look at the paperwork but I think they are cragers nd they are 15"x7-1/2". The cheap steels are great because you can beat the dog poop out of them and they hold up. I dented up my stock rims pretty good in the short time I've had it.

#83 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Nice thing about steel rims other than being inexpensive, is that if you dent them on the trail, you just have to lift that tire off the ground, air down the tire, beat out the dent with a ball peen hammer, then air the tire back up and off you go. Done this several times with mine. Gotta love the black rims Ron!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#84 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

I went off roading with my brother and Scott today and got a little muddy but had some good times and even saw a coyote on the way home. Here we took a picture while checking our aproach angleAttached File  1.jpg   21.02KB   6 downloadsHere is a spot we stopped to check the sceneryAttached File  2.jpg   20.79KB   6 downloadsAnd here's the coyote we sawAttached File  3.jpg   23.14KB   6 downloads2 of us had CBs and I have never used these before, it is kind of nice being able to comunicate while on the trail. Thanks for looking, Ron

#85 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:48 AM

She's lookin' great! Call her Muddy. Who doesn't love a dirty girl?

#86 Brushstomper

Brushstomper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Hunting just about anything!!!!

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Great looking rig!!!

#87 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

Ron, best thing about CB's in offroading is that it's used as a safety feature. You can communicate trail problems or call for help (within a certain range) or use it just to stretch the jaw. The other thing I like about them is that most offroaders have gone to VHF radios (some call them offroad radios others- ham radios) which is good for the CB users as it frees up channels. My hunting partners use them frequently out in the desert as we can tell each other who got what or where they saw whatever. Always good to stay in touch with your buds.

#88 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

I haven't done much to the XJ in a while but bent up this tubing on a buddy's bender and welded it on this weekend. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to keep the flood type light on it or not but I don't go fast off road and think they will work good for when I hunt at night.Posted ImagePosted Image

#89 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Ron, that looks nice man! I haven't done a whole lot with my jeep lately but did get some light off roading in with the wife and dog for Mother's day.

#90 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

Jawbreaker, did you make the bumber? It looks sweet. If you did, can you tell me the materials you used?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users