39 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

Okay, whaddaya guys using in the field? I tried a tripod at first, too bulky and heavy. Tried a single stick (cane type) that was too wobbly. Put a 27" Harris Bipod on the gun but it is still a little low when I'm sitting. I want stix that would enable me to sit or stand, is lightweight, will give me "snake protection" (as read on this site during the summer) and easily (and quietly) adjustable. Recommendations?

#2 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

Try Varmint Als Bi Fur pod. It works good. I have one but I prefer my mono pod.http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

#3 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hmm, seems if you tried the the tripod and the monopod, your next logical step is the bipod. Get yourself a set of extendable shooting sticks. Extends to any height for sitting or standing. I'm not a big fan of the ones that capture your barrel. Sometimes you need to drop them quick for a running shot, for when your partner misses of course. The capture sticks ddon't allow you to do that and they'll be hanging from your barrel like a piece of furniture.I've also never liked the bipods attached to the weapon...too bulky and not easily moved around.

#4 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

With all due respect to Varmint Al, I wanna buy the bipod, not build it. Besides, isn't there something lighter than wood out there?On another note, I read a thread here about the rifle rods and pistol hangers at http://www.parallaxt...a1063a5e5f73ff7 and just put em in my safe. These are GREAT! INCREASED THE CAPACITY OF MY SAFE 50%!

#5 BigFatSteve

BigFatSteve

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Ive been useing my boss's Bogpod (WWW.Boggear.Com) i like it i have a bi and a single stick like the tri the best. Real light weight adjusts from sitting to standing.Those rifle rod's look awesome!

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

I visited http://www.boggear.c...ing_sticks.html and it appears that the legs must be pre-set using allen wrenches...is that right? If true, then it is not designed to be adjusted for sitting and standing w/o use of tools. Seems counterproductive.

#7 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Two twigs and a rubber band.

#8 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

Stoney Point Bipod... You'll only buy once.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

I believe the "Trigger Stix" (by Primos ?) makes all flavores/#'s of legs & lengths. I know you did not care for the Mono (single leg) pod, however, of the various stixs / attached bipods etc it is my favorite so far. It is not as steady as you say, but is quiet & swings quickly & without noise & obstructions and is still steady enough... especially with a 11-13 lb rifle on it. LOLAnyway, may want to take a peek at the Trigger Stix brand?Frank

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Stoney Point Bipod... You'll only buy once.

+1000I have went through the Varmint-als, the monopod and now and now the Stoney point bipods. They are the most universal. http://www.stoneypoi...cat_bipods.htmlThough depending on the terrain, I do like the shooters ridge (or harris) bipods if you can shoot prone.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Stoney Points here too! I've shot every type and caliber of gun off of them and they can't be beat.

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

What model?

#13 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

I've used the Stoney Point Steady Stix for a few years and really like them. Use 'em for deer/pig hunting and for calling.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:43 PM

The model is the Explorer. It's pleaty tall for standing like at night or collapses down for sitting on the ground.http://www.stoneypoi...cat_bipods.html

#15 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

You use it at night when shotgunning? Really?

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

No! When I use a rifle at night. I live near the wide open spaces so mostly use a rifle.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

I use a set of collapsable sticks that I got from the Sportsmans Guide for about $20.00. They're kinda like shock corded tent tent poles. They work great.

#18 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

+1 on the Stoney Point Explorer. Never go hunting without them. Great for checking for snakes too.

#19 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

Explorer or Crusader..I make my own one piece bi-pod for night hunting that is built to fit my height perfectly, so I only hunt with the Crusader for day time rifle stuff and also I only like having to mess with on piece of telescoping leg.The Explorer is perfect for both night and day.

#20 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

I made my shooting stix out of round hardwood stock. Works great.

#21 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

Ceeder shooting sticks sort of like V. Alls. home made to me sittng. Use them for walking and pooking things . but I also use the bipods too 13-23incs Harris and caldwell. Harris great but the caldwell are new will try them out deer hunting. I like the sticks for yotes. fast shots or running, just pick up the rifle and swing, sticks drop away. the harris are heavy the caldwell are only 14 oz. might be good for hiking. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#22 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

For a long time I never used stix. Seated with elbows on knees provides a pretty steady shot for most called animals. Once I tried stix I liked having them around but still don't rely on them for every shot. It's kinda funny watching someone get their stix moved into position, scope turned up and really bare down on a 50yd coyote lol. If they get the shot off before the coyote moves (or dies of old age) they usually put the bullet on the mark.For the last 10 years or so I carry stix with me out to the stand...I like having them there whether I use them or not. I've got a pair of Stoney Points... (the tripod model) they are nice but but rarely use them. When I do use them it's at night. My favorites are also the cheapest and easiest to make. Two 1/2" x 48" wood dowels from Home depot tied together with a boot lace. About 4 bucks. Long enough for sitting on a hillside and easily adjustable for uneven ground. Also when you forget them on the stand (you will) it don't hurt the wallet. I keep an extra pair in the truck incase I leave one or someone forgets theirs.

#23 BigFatSteve

BigFatSteve

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

I visited http://www.boggear.c...ing_sticks.html and it appears that the legs must be pre-set using allen wrenches...is that right? If true, then it is not designed to be adjusted for sitting and standing w/o use of tools. Seems counterproductive.

The bogs i use are the standard turn to extend, last years model maybe havent checked their products yet.

#24 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

PS....... Bipods are nice becuase you do not need to stand the rifle against a tree or lay it down. ;)

#25 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

I just got a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Folding Bipod, the thing works great... Easy to snap on and off, folds up and is lightweight....

#26 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

I use the Varmint Al's Bi Fur Pod. Fun and easy to build and works great. I've used it to take squirrels, coyote, bobcat, and the neighbors cat. Just kidding about the neighbors cat!

#27 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

Have used the most common ones and the best so far are like varmint Al's but i used conduit and at the end i put a rubber hose for a loop. and camo paint.

#28 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thay work great on the kitty kitt y's :signs1180lq: :good: trust me.

#29 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

I just got a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Folding Bipod, the thing works great... Easy to snap on and off, folds up and is lightweight....

Looking at this model online at http://www.stoneypoi...p_standing.html I cannot figure out how the rifle rests on this bipod. I need a bipod for a standing shot w/ a 45-70 Govt while bison hunting in 4 weeks.

#30 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

Theres a little knuckle type thing that attaches on your front stud, the buy pod has a quick connect/disconnect type thing that attatches it to that... It also include a stud off of that for your sling if you only have 1 stud in the for-end of your stock..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users