7 replies to this topic

#1 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Anyone know of a store in the Sac area that sells ghillie suits? Or it the internet the best source?

#2 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

Making your own is the best way in my opinion. Its not that hard, and you can customize it to the terrain you hunt in. If your interested I will post how.

#3 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

please do. thank you

#4 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

I made mine from an old pair of BDU's. You dont want anything to heavy to start with becuase you are adding alot of burlap. List of materials.Old pair of BDU's: Make it a couple sizes too big, cause you are most likely gonna wear it over your street clothes.Either a black stocking cap or camo cap, depends if it hot or cold where your hunting. I made both.Camo head net: Its good to cover up that white pasty face( Speaking for myself) Also it's good to cover your eyes.Burlap: Old gunny sacks work good, or you can buy it at fabric stores.Rit Dye: Depends on where you hunt, but green and brown, and black are good basic colors.Clear Silicone: Yep, thats right, silicone is what I use to adhere the burlap to the BDU's. Works better than sewing.Artificial foliage: Go to Walmart and go to the fake flower section. Get stuff that resembles the foliage where you hunt. The cool thing about this stuff is that it is not permanant, you just tie it into the burlap. You can take it off and change it for different terrain or differant times of the year.AssemblyIf you buy your burlap from a store, you can get it in different colors. If you just have regular burlap get some Rit dye. And in all actuallity you dont even have to have other colors, but I think it helps. Just read the directions on the back of the dye box. Its easy. Use an old pot or your wife will have your hide. You want at least 2/3 of the burlap natural color.Cut strips of burlap about 2" wide and about 12" to 16" long. Its ok to be shorter or longer. It's been awhile since I made mine, but you need quite alot of burlap. Thats about as exact as I am gonna get.Start with the shirt. Lay it out flat so the back and sides are facing up. Run a couple of beads of silicone about an inch from the bottom and about an inch apart all along the bottom of the shirt. Then push an end of a piece of burlap into both beads of silicone. Do this all the way across the shirt. Space them about an inch or so apart. You can adjust how heavy the suit will be by spacing the burlap further out. But you lose coverage that way. Let this dry for awhile. Now go about 4" to 6" up from the first row and do it again. Remember to place different colored ones every so often. Do this all the way up. Then start at the bottom of the sleeves. Start at the bottom of the pants too. If your doing alot of laying down like a sniper, you dont want to put any burlap on the front. If your in a tree stand then do front and back. Go up to about the crotch and stop. The burlap hanging down from the shirt will cover your boys and you butt.The hats you do the same, start at the bottom and work your way up. make sure it hangs over your face. Dont put any on the head net. the head net goes on before the hat.If you follow these instuctions you will have one bad custom Ghillie suit. And alot cheaper than any you can buy. My son in Washington absconded with mine or I would send pictures. Hope this helps you.You can tie the fake foliage into the burlap. Dont over do it though. A little goes a long way.

#5 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

One more thing. The more you wear it the better it looks. At first you will look like Cousin It from the Adams Family. Take it out side and roll it around on ther ground. Kick it around, get the burlap to start unraveling. This will really make it look better. Put it on and roll around on the ground. Or have one of your kids do it. They will have fun doing it. And if some of it falls off, just silicone it back on. But dont worry about it coming off much. If you really press it into the fabric of the BDU's it will stay on good.

#6 BigMatt

BigMatt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Tight groups, long shots, sight and stalk, reloading, homebrewing beer, building stuff, my GTO, beer, law, good friends, beer and good times.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Good point on not going down too far with the suit-You don't want it snagging everywhere and most of it would eventually get torn off anyway.

#7 bigunn0_0

bigunn0_0

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

You can get one from cheaper than dirt. cheaperthandirt.com

#8 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

You can also do a Guillie out of An old army Comoed poncho. It rocks in the rain but in the heat it's Hot and Nasty in a bad non-sexual way. Best ghillie Suite I ever Made was made almost the same way Except I used the material from some old Canvas army duffle bags and Burlap. I started by making a base with Burlap and reinforced it with canvas, Added some Como netting Burlap strips and fake camo foliage and you have an awesome multi purpose Ghillie that can be rolled up and stored in a butt pack.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users