32 replies to this topic

#1 MTN4X4

MTN4X4

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

So I decided to go out and buy some hay bails and use them fortargets, well make a long story short I am now 3 arrows short.I just shot right thru them. what a joke,I guess the bails are not packed enough. I was thinking about putting water on them, any ideas ?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

I always put plywood behind mine, just in case.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hey where you arrows were hitting the targets on the bails, did it impact where the two bails meet? I had that problem. My arrow went straight thru but if I hit the center of the bail it would stop my arrow about half way in. You may need to check where your arrows impact. Also what kind of hay did you buy. Some depending on the type of hay your buying, the bails grasses may not be packed tight enough. I shoot at just plain ol' straw bails. Its packed tight and I also most never shoot all the way thru. Be sure to have it set up with a back stop be hind it, whether it be a hill side dirt mount or ply wood just in case it help save arrows as well. Hope this helps!Jeremy

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

I know the archery range I go to buys special bails pressed for archers but they cost about $75 a piece.

#5 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

my 2cents...I put up a couple of layers of cardboard in front of the straw / hay bale, it slows'em down pretty good. BTW, for $75.00 it better be Grade A grass...errr, I mean hay :signs653wf:

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

Back when I used to bow hunt I went and bought some target that was filled with something and covered in burlap. I still have it and it stops arrows fast and you can pull them out with two fingers. I am sure some one here will know where to get one. You just had to throw it on the ground and walk on it if an area started to got shot out to push the filling back in that area. Cheaper than bails in the long run and easier on arrows. Can't use broadheads on it though.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#7 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

I know the archery range I go to buys special bails pressed for archers but they cost about $75 a piece.

For that price you can go to a archery shop or anything that sells targets and get a foam target and you won't have that problem at all.
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

The block is an awsome target, I've had mine for about 5 years and haven't blown through it yey(I don't shoot broadheads at it). If you don;'t have the money you can get a burlap sack and stuff it tight with palstic bags(from home depot or the grocery store) sew it shut and have at it. You just need to pack it with more bags every once in a while.

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

If the straw bales are loose get some alfalfa.. Or just pick some good tight heavy bales. 75 bucks would buy me a stack of alfalfa... Thats like 11 bales of alfalfa.. And IM SURE with 11 bales you could build a nice pile to prevent shooting thru :)
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

you may not be able to shoot through a huge bail but what happens when the arrow is burried and you have to dig it out

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Get a horse or goat??
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#12 MTN4X4

MTN4X4

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

If I put plywood behind the hay bails would it damage the arrows,,,,,,, my arrows are hitting the center of the bails and going right thru I shoot carbons.

#13 GoldBarron

GoldBarron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

We used to take some 4 lengths of all thread and some 4 x 4's and compress the bales. A friend of mine also hung a bunch of big industrial belts in the back to stop the arrows with out any damage to them. But that was back in Montana where you could get the belts from the logging mills

#14 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

If I put plywood behind the hay bails would it damage the arrows,,,,,,, my arrows are hitting the center of the bails and going right thru I shoot carbons.

Try aiming at the center of the bails? then your arrow will stick in the bail on top or the bail on the bottom........ :)

#15 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Sounds to me like you got some light grass bales or something. Try some good tight straw bales. Trust me, the ones I bale you can't shoot an arrow through. If nothing else, buy some alfalfa bales. Probably more money but they should be even more dense. Most of it is going to depend on the wieght the grower baled them at.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

If the straw bales are loose get some alfalfa.. Or just pick some good tight heavy bales.

+1. on the bales of alfalfa City slickers :signgreatreport3kg:
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#17 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Take a come along and use it to tighten the bale. then rewrap it in some bailing wire to hold it.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

That works good Red Dog. Especially about wrapping it with wire after you tighten it. I have a real short strap on one of my ratchet straps because I didn't remove it and inadvertently shot it. :tease:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#19 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

LOL SJ. I can see it now. Let the arrow fly and SCHWACK!!!! :good: :good: Yeah it's a poor mans way to do it but it works just fine.

#20 MTN4X4

MTN4X4

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think im going to just pack them tighter using s ratcheting tie down, and then tie them up with wire.i let you guys know how it works.

#21 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

Take a come along and use it to tighten the bale. then rewrap it in some bailing wire to hold it.

What is this 'bailing wire' of which you speak... :1106:
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#22 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Duck tape and bailing wire.... a mans best friend. They will fix anything.

#23 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

Maybe you should try the one ton bales! :signs1180lq:

#24 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:38 AM

Duct Tape and Bailing wire = Ford parts... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: The Allthread that was mentioned above works well too On my practice bail thats what I used to use. Good luck.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#25 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

Forget hay, get a block. Hay will begin to look ugly after awhile, attract rodents and bugs, eventually break down and become smelly...just ask my wife. Since i got a block we are both happy. Easier on the fletching too! :roflmao3[1]:

#26 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

:smiley_green_with_envy: Are the fake animals just as cheap as the bails of hay? Anyone have good idea of the cheapest place to buy those targets?El

#27 Moody

Moody

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

Wal-Mart has some cheap 3-D targets for about $80 but they are really cheap. for around $100 to $150 you can get a decent target with replaceable vitals for around $40. so if you shoot alot in the long run you would save money by getting a nicer 3-D target.

#28 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

One ton is the best but I dont think most can roll one over with out help LOL I have used hay cus I have it and bale it done all that cr@p . I even shot into a stack of small bails and hit an area where 2 bails came together and lost my arrow.The best would be a block target

#29 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Moody! :signs165xk: El

#30 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

im looking for rolls of scrap carpet actually so i can stand them up and strap them together they will work great
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users