3 replies to this topic

#1 lvr

lvr

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

Im lookin for a new duck gun and would like to check out the 887 before buying a nova but I can't find it on the shelves in the San Luis obispo area. Im willing to drive a couple hours if you know where to find one. thanks

#2 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

I would wait on this one. I saw two areas of concern with it when I looked at it up close at BPS in Manteca.#1 The foregrip comes back about 1/2 inch past the trigger assembly. They notched it out so that it does not hit. When cycling the action, your finger could easily become caught in the action. I was told you simply need to move your hand as the action comes down, but....#2 The sight bead is a fiber optic tube. This is neat. It also has a small "rear" bead about midway down the ribbed top of the barrel. My son's Nova has this also. His is made out of brass, and is threaded. The 887's is made out of fiber optic plastic, and appears to be glued in place. It looks like the first thing to break on the gun if it gets knocked around like most duck guns inevitably do, and I don't see a way to fix it.I was planning on buying one for this duck season, but am holding off at least a year to see what it's reputation will be. My son has the Benelli Nova pump, and he loves it. I don't like it at all. The 887 looked and felt right, but I have those two concerns. For this year, I'll stick with my 870.

#3 lvr

lvr

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

I found one today. I held it and I had to have it. My left eye is dominant, but i shoot right handed and the fiber optics really help with that. other than the beads it seemed like a solid gun, well suited to duck hunting. We'll see how it shoots in ten days but i have a good feeling. I got it in black so i want to camo it. Hopefully the coating takes paint well

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

The Krylon camo paint sticks to synthetic stock material even better than it does to metal. I think you'll be good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users