• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'm planning on painting my Toyota 4x4. I would love to see your camo jobs and an explanation on how you did it. Or if you know of cool ways of doing camo paint jobs. Come on guys show them rigs off!

#2 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

Krylon and a couple sea sponges.... Go NUTS!!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Looks great Tim! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

That is what I am planning on doing to mine when I get it, it's good to see it before I actually tyred it out. Looks good Tim Ron

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Wrong color for the snow :)

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

Attached File  camocar.jpg   97.69KB   61 downloads Gee ya think it looks like me??NOT This is just a car I saw online

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thats great looking Tim. :)

#8 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:33 AM

I painted my cousins toyota using a wide palm tree leaf. We painted it all flat black and then we use the leaf to make brown stripes and then did green stripes. And then we threw a little brown in there to. It turned out reall good. Sorry I don't have any pics of it.

#9 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:50 AM

Tim, awesome job. Fits right in. You might need a GPS if you get too far away from the vehicle.

#10 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

Tim, do you take the top rack off when you are not hunting? Or, was it added later?

#11 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:12 AM

Rack stays on permanently

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Very nice!I am trying to decide whether to do that myself w/ the Cherokee i bought from Braz or just throw a camo net over it when I hunt. My concern is that tofu eaters will vandalize it because it advertises your intent. Had any such issues? Anybody give you grief for this paint job (besides the lil lady)?

#13 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:20 PM

No has given me any grief. And the wife drives it almost as much as I do, heck it was her daily driver last year back and forth to work. (middle school AP)..A camo net everytime you get in and out of the car???? Hmmm, if I was doing that 20-25 times a day I would like just run myself over with the jeep.

#14 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

didn't I see a post on here were someone stated that there is a company in Auburn area that will put Camo Vinyl on a rig for a reasonable price? I cannot find it now that I am considering it. Anyone remember that? or know what I am talking about?

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

BC9696, with at green Grand, I don't think you will need to worry about it. Heck, even if it's white, just park it aways away and you should be good to go.

#16 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

didn't I see a post on here were someone stated that there is a company in Auburn area that will put Camo Vinyl on a rig for a reasonable price? I cannot find it now that I am considering it. Anyone remember that? or know what I am talking about?

Yeah...I saw it. However rates average $1600. installed (depending on vehicle size) and I found some that were upwards of $3700.I'm only considering the camo netting for large flat areas that do not offer any decent natural cover. A couple of guys expressed concern about driving a camoflaged hunting vehicle and being vandalized by PETA-like whackjobs. Just thinking about the options. I have another plan I'm considering too...stay tuned. <g>

#17 stevoe0970

stevoe0970

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Air rifle hunting small to medium game.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageDid this camo job in 9 days taking my time. $150 worth of rattle can spray paint and sand wheels and sheets.Sanded original paint down to primer with 120 grit using a random orbital sander. Then sanded a second time with 220 grit to get rid of the scratches from the 120 grit. Shot the whole thing with Rustoleum Auto Gray Primer then lightly sanded the primer with 400 grit. Shot the whole base coat with Krylon Camouflage Olive Ultra Flat, and then a second coat. For the patterns I just made three stencils out of poster board, one for each color. Shot the khaki patterns over the entire vehicle first, then the brown, then the black. All the pattern colors were also Krylon Camouflage ultra flat. Let it sit for a week inside the garage until the paint fully hardened to the chip resistant state.

#18 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Excellent job Steve. That really looks great and should be invisible at night. :smiley_green_with_envy:Attached File  Red__s_Hunt_Rig.gif   37.16KB   19 downloadsDER PANZER

#19 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

But Red, come on, you spend time doing a camo job on the jeep and then put on chrome wheels? What is that all about?

#20 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

But Red, come on, you spend time doing a camo job on the jeep and then put on chrome wheels? What is that all about?

How else would he find his way back to his truck? :smiley_green_with_envy:

#21 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Yep, that's the answer. I never though of that. Just use the "mirror" wheels as a locator. Dumb me. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#22 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   21.86KB   15 downloadsThis is mine, needs a new paint job but this is as camo as it gets.

#23 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ah Ha. You got those mirror wheels too. I guess that's what I"ve been doing wrong. :1rock1oo:

#24 stevoe0970

stevoe0970

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Air rifle hunting small to medium game.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Excellent job Steve. That really looks great and should be invisible at night. :1rock1oo:Attached File  Red__s_Hunt_Rig.gif   37.16KB   19 downloadsDER PANZER

Thanks Red. Your camo job looks nice and detailed.

#25 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

The chrome wheels came on my Jeep when I bought it. With all the other $$$ I have poured into Der Panzer, I didn't want to buy new wheels too. This is not the first time I have taken a beating for the chrome wheel thing. :1rock1oo: When I repaint this time around I am going to hump for a set of "Moon Disk" wheel covers and camo them too so I cover the chrome wheels. I'll cut out a small portion of the front disks to expose the hub locks and I should be good to go.

#26 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

I posted pics of this on another post, but thought I would throw it on here too. And yah, I have chrome rims too. Just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it.

#27 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

I posted pics of this on another post, but thought I would throw it on here too. And yah, I have chrome rims too. Just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it.Attached File  1.jpg   18.22KB   17 downloads

#28 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

The chrome wheels came on my Jeep when I bought it. With all the other $$$ I have poured into Der Panzer, I didn't want to buy new wheels too. This is not the first time I have taken a beating for the chrome wheel thing. :roflmao3[1]: When I repaint this time around I am going to hump for a set of "Moon Disk" wheel covers and camo them too so I cover the chrome wheels. I'll cut out a small portion of the front disks to expose the hub locks and I should be good to go.

Um...sand 'em and paint 'em??

#29 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

Oh, bother. I forgot to check the "Enable email notification of replies" box in my last post. Sorry.

#30 lepcur

lepcur

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Bear hunting
    Hunting preds.
    Bird shoothing

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Here's a pic. of my bear hunting rig I built, it's a 86 Zuki and gets 32 mpg. I also use it for a calling rig. MikePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users