10 replies to this topic

#1 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

I plan to start loading .223 for varmint hunting I have a .223 stevens looking for a good powder, primer, bullet, ect for this gun.I need a good varmint load and big game load for my .243 Model 70. Bulllet, powder and primer, ect for this gun.I am looking for a good load for my 7mm Mag Ruger M77 Mark II for big game hunting. Powder, primer and bullet thanks.PM

#2 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

do you have a sportsman warehouse around cause they have classes on reloading..as far as what you are reloading,243 is the only one we have in common and i am just starting to do that now..soooo good luck..glenn

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

No sportmans warehouse but I do have lots of friends that reload. My father-in-law gave me all the reloading gear just have to remeber how to use it. Might have to fly him out here to help me get started.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

I have posted loads on here for .223, .243, 7mm-08, .270, and .30-06. Just do some searching! Also, check out the Hodgdon website for their latest load information. Or give me a call and I am happy to help you out.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#5 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

First thing to do is buy a reloading manual and read it. Then buy a second manual and read that one also. I would recommend the Hornady manual, the "ABC's of Reloading" and the Lee manuals for very good "how to" sections.You have three very different cartridges that will require different components, you also need to specify what you are going to use each cartridge for as light bullets loads will optimize with different powders than heavy bullet loads in each cartridge.You will need small rifle primers for the 223, large rifle primers for the 243 and I like to use large rifle magnum primers for the 7 mag.Your bullet choices should be made first by determining what you want to the bullet to do. For example, in the 7 Mag if you are going to be hunting deer in open country where shots could be on the longer side you want a 140-150 grain bullet that is very aerodynamic and will open at lower impact energies. If you are going to hunt Elk in the black timber you might want to consider a 175 grain round nose with a bonded core for breaking bone and penetrating further from odd angles.If you know what you are going to use each cartridge for, you can select the type of bullets that you want to try. Then you can look in the reloading amnuals for the powders that optimize the velocity of those weight bullets.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Get the Lyman manual and read it. It is the one I recommend to everyone wanting to reload and it also has good data in it. Call me if you need more help.223= 55gr bullets(I like Hornady SX bullets for squirrels) Reg or mag primer(I tend to use mag) Commercial brass use 28 gr of Win 748. For mil surplus brass use 27grs of same powder.40gr bullets I use H335 or Win748. I load 6mm Rem and not 243.7MM Rem Mag = 140gr Nosler PAR bullet with mag primer and 69gr of RL19 or 66grs of IMR4350. This load will take everything including elk. THE BEST bullet for deer/pronghorns especially Calif deer. These are hot loads so start lower and work up.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the responces I do have some reloading books with the stuff given to me. Guess I just have to sit down and start reading. D-Man you are more than welcome to come down and do some reloading with me if you want.PM

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

I need to get down that way sometime soon anyway. Have not had a chance to talk with you or Rick at all lately. CP, you, and I need to get out on a night hunt sometime soon.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

tis the season :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

I've mentioned this b4 but will say it again. PM, the problem with the 223 is, "just about anything works in it". The Good thing about the 223 is, "just about anything works in it". Strange I know, but that is what I absolutely LOVE about the 223. LOTS of powders & bullet weights work Great in it.Our group of hoodlums like Benchmark, RL10X, Varget, W748 as our top choices. Clamp just reminded me of H4895 also, and if memory serves me right is another great choice. But again, LOTS of powders & bullets will work great in the 223, which the same thing cannot be said of other calibers. Key words being "work great" & "powder AND bullets"! The 204 quickly comes to mind & I do love my 204 and is very accurate, but not even near as versatile.Its heen decades(?) since I've owned the other 2 calibers so can't help much there. Friend of mine got great results with IMR4350 & the 140gr bullet in his 7mag recently though. IMR 7828 was very good in my 7mag years ago. So?Our favorite manual is Nosler with Hodgdon being right there with it. I personally LOVE Hodgdon powders, Fed match primers & Win brass.Good LuckFrank

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

Federal or Winchester primers, Hodgdon powders, Hornady or Nosler bullets.Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users