3 replies to this topic

#1 koiloco

koiloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

I am new to reloading and just trying to get all the component together to load some .223.I bought some 55gr Vmax bullets from midway, but when the box came today. It says "22 cal (224)".Is this correct? I look on their website and found nothing that says .223?Also, should I deprime first then tumble or vice versa?Thanks guys.

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:59 AM

Yes that is correct. Get your paws on a good reloading manual and read it over a few times, that will get you started. As for tumbling, I tumble with walnut media first, then deprime, then tumble with corn media to polish them up nice. The corn media easily removes the sizing lube. Then the brass gets my smudgy finger prints all over them while prepping the primer pockets and trimming etc. So after the cases are completely loaded, I'll tumble them for another 15 minutes to clean up the cases and give them a final polish so they are gleaming clean.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

Be sure to check the primer pocket and flash hole for any media if you tumble after depriming. I've got some dental picks I picked up at a gunshow I use to get it out with.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

As Stiff Neck said the bullets are the correct ones. As for tumbling you can do it either way, before or after depriming. I uniform the primer pocket and ream the flash hole after I've deprimed and tumbled the cases. This way I ensure I remove any tumbling media that may be trapped in the flash hole or case itself. People do tumble loaded rounds to clean them but I'm not a big fan of that practice. With V-Max bullets I guess it would be alright. But the cases and bullets rubbing and beating together can change their shape slightly enough to possibly affect accuracy. Plus any grit in the tumbling media is reintroduced to the bullet and will be transfered to your guns chamber and barrel. The reason I personally don't tumble loaded rounds is a possibility of a static charge being developed. The dry media while tumbling in the plastic bowl of the tumbler can and does create static. I have heard of this charge causing primers to detonate. Get a couple of reloading books and have fun reloading. Be safe... :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users