16 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

Love my jeep for off roading. Only problem is that everytime I take it offroading I pick up debris in the main serpentine belt. Because of this, it keeps squeaking. The pulleys are good, and have had my mechanic look it over several times just to make sure. Any ideas on how to stop it from picking up debris? It has the standard front skid plate, and the protective plate over the transmission and that is it.Driving me nuts driving it around like this.Darren

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

what about putting lubricant on the belts?

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Won't do any good, already tried some belt dressing before.Darren

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Have you tried switching to a different brand of fan belt? There are several makers out that claim no noise belts.

#5 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Sure you don't have bigger problems? How do you know it's debris? I only ask because we hunt out of two Grand Cherokees and have had them to hell and back and have never had an issue with belts other than the typical pulley replacement when worn out.

#6 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

should have gotten a Rubicon :angry:

#7 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

I am guessing you have but I am going to ask anyway just in case. Have you put your rig in neutral and reved it up a bit to make sure the "squeek" is the belt? My Rubicon did something similar and it was in the drive train from the lift I had just installed not the belt. I thought it was until I started chasing it.

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

Yes, I am sure it is the belt. Can see the small debris embedded in the belt. My mechanic has changed the belt on this jeep a couple of times and always checked the pulley. Put it in neutral and done all the other tricks I know of. Usually happens when hitting muddy water with the jeep. Happy to try a different brand of belt if someone can recommend one.Darren

#9 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

I can't get my head wrapped around why the belt would squeak because it has "debris" embedded in it but if it's so and you are looking for a good replacement, you might try the "Gatorback" belts that Autozone sells. It's about the only thing I trust them for.Good Luck

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Small rocks and debris get embedded in the grooves of the serpentine belt, as the belt rotates and that debris gets smashed into the grooves and it hits the pulleys and the various accessories it creates a squeaking sound. Will give the Gatorback a try. Open to other suggestions.Darren

#11 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

squealing = slipping , water and mud = lubricant is your mech. using a tenison gauge to measure for correct tension (few do) also have your belt driven accesories been checked for drag a dragging A/C comp. or power steering pump or any thing else that runs off that belt could cause a squeel when adding a little lube (water mud) if all that checks out I would go with a factory belt and make sure its has the proper tension. good luck Dave

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

Different belts have different grooves in them also. Some are continuous grooves, some broken grooves like tire treads. You may want to try one with a different type groove in it also. Good luck.

#13 Brian

Brian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

Goodyear makes a belt called a gatorback, it seems to stay quiet when all other belts don't. It has a different groove pattern than all the others. I would give it a try.

#14 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

I used to take a bar of soap and rub it on my belts to keep them quite when I had hopped up motors. It always worked for a while. My motors used to rev faster than the fan and alternator and slip when I put my foot in it. It was the slipping that caused the squall. Soap would cure it for a while, and then I would just re soap it.

#15 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

Should have gotten a Rubicon :good: So have you gone to an off road shop to see what they have?Should have gotten a Rubicon Attached File  IMG_2011.jpg   109.22KB   66 downloads

#16 RayGun

RayGun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

Not an expert on this but an old gear head passed this on to me a long time ago and it stopped the squeal from the belts on my Blazer. Use a wire wheel or fine sand paper and take the glaze off the surface of all the pullies. Hope that helps you as it did me.

#17 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

the belt might need to be tighened up. Or take her out back and shoot it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users