Photo

HELP!!! Dermestid's are eating my mount.....hopefully not mounts!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Railguner

Railguner

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

Guys I need to serious help. I found dermestids eating my mount. How do I get rid of them. I have a few P&Y and B&C heads as well as a spectacular Tule Elk. I need some help. RG

#2 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:53 AM

I would put it in a closet or bathroom and set off a bug bomb or two

#3 wanapasaki

wanapasaki

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, and Fishing.. Thats about it LOL

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:01 AM

wrap it up in a towel and throw it in the freezer

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

You need to bug bomb your entire house.. Which anyone with mounts should do every 6 months or so anyhow.. As for the freezer comment... That would certainly not help the mount. extreme temperature changes are not good for mounts...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#5 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:27 AM

Bug bomb the whole house.If you put a nice mount in the freezer, it isn't going to come out of the freezer nice.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

Don't overdue the bug bombs either. There was a guy a while back on the news locally that used a whole six pack and then flipped an electric switch. His house went BOOM!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Seriously, these bugs are relatively feable when it comes to gassing them. They don't need a lot to turn belly up. Also, they do not need to freeze to die. Get the temp down to the mid 40's and they will die off. I'd also advise keeping the mounts and bugs separate. I have mounts in my house and I keep the bugs in my shope in the garage. Never had a problem.Railgunner, do have a colony of beetles or are these a wild strain that got to your mounts?

#8 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

Don't overdue the bug bombs either. There was a guy a while back on the news locally that used a whole six pack and then flipped an electric switch. His house went BOOM!

Did the bugs die??

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

No, but he almost did. :smiley_kewlpics:

Time waits for no one--

#10 Railguner

Railguner

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Railgunner, do have a colony of beetles or are these a wild strain that got to your mounts?

My parents brought me back a deers foot in a tortoise shell, so kinda Indian thing from Arizona a few years ago. I left it in my old room in their house. Well a year ago I noticed the hair on the deers foot was falling out ant their was "sawdust" looking material on the counter where it sat. I thought nothing of it. I tossed it out. I think that was the start of the infestation. More than likely they were from a colony used by the guy who made the Indian relic.

#11 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

A couple of years ago I was lying on the couch watching football when all of a sudden BOOM!! the whole house shook. Guy set off a whole case of bug bombs in his rented house down the street and literally blew all the windows out and every door off the jam. I saw the place on the news that night, and every cupboard in the kitchen was blown open, and drywall was blown off the ceiling, dumping insulation all over the house. He forgot all about the pilot light in the central heating - I'd hate to make that call to the landlord!Puting the mount in a garbage bag with a few mothballs does the trick.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

Dermistid beetles are naturally occuring in nature.. you dont necessarily have to own the kind that people use to clean skulls with to get an infestation.. Which is why I tell all my clients to be sure to bug bomb their house occasionally..

Dermestidae are a family of Coleoptera that are commonly referred to as skin beetles. Other common names include larder beetle, hide or leather beetles, carpet beetles, and khapra beetles. There are approximately 500 to 700 species worldwide.

Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#13 wanapasaki

wanapasaki

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, and Fishing.. Thats about it LOL

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

I dunno, my friend has some mounts in his shed in Arapahoe Nat. Forest, Colorado and they are fine every year?? Gets below freezing there too....

#14 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Seriously, dont give advice on something you dont know anything about.. ANY Taxidermist will warn you of the hazards of extreme temp changes and bugs.. Just like you dont hang the mount over a fireplace, or in direct sunlight, or place it in the back yard pool.. If people want their mounts to LAST they must be cared for properly. Giving advance such as wrap it in a towel and stick it in the freezer is telling someone to do something that will harm their trophy.

#15 Railguner

Railguner

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:28 AM

I've never used a Bug Bomb in my life. I know what they are and how they work. I would just like someone with experience with them to recommend one that is KNOW to kill these little pests. Also, should I bomb the room with the mounts on the wall or should I make a 6'x6'x6' inclosure with a wood frame and tape it up with clear plastic and bomb each head, then bomb the room and put the heads back in place. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?I appreciate the advice.RG

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

Follow the directions on the canister.. You can leave them mounts on the wall.. THe fumes will fill the room :1106: Just be sure to air the room out again once youve waited the time it says to wait... Make sure to clean your mounts brushing off any of the chewings and such. Check your mounts in 3 weeks and see if any more bugs are present.. in case any eggs happen to hatch. ANd then again 3 weeks after that just to be sure. If you find more bugs bomb again.. then keep checking until all are gone. Once you have these bugs killed off be sure to bomb the place every 6 months or so.. Just to make sure they dont return..

#17 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:17 AM

Seriously, dont give advice on something you dont know anything about..

C'mon now Huntress....don't be mean. Not that I'm disagreeing with you but if we followed that criteria there'd be hardly any advice at all being given in the predator hunting section...and that would be no fun. :1106: :P
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#18 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

Stir that pot faster Tawnoper... Id be majorly PO'ed if a client of mine did that to one of my pieces.. Ya its their deer but once it is MY Shop that baby becomes my pride and joy so I dont want anyone to ruin them following bad advice.. PLUS if someone did that and it ruined their mount, they arent going to be real thrilled about having to do a remount.. or repairs..Sure advice is free but Then again some people actually advised people to voted for Obama ...and we all see how THAT is turning out LOL

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

:pot: :pot: :pot:

Time waits for no one--

#20 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

Give me some of that John... And where is the butter?

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

:pot: No it's all mine! :pot:

Time waits for no one--

#22 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

:popcorn: No it's all mine! :drinks:

You Stingy Butt LOL :tease:

#23 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

There are lots of Dermestid sp. out there in the wild that can cause harm to your mounts. Many infestations come from the wild on pieces or skulls that were brought in from the outdoors and had a colony or pair tagging along. Dermetid maculatus, the one most use for skull cleaning is an amazing worker when it comes to cleaning skulls, but is relatively weak when it comes to temperature change. Get outside the temp. window of 45-90 degree F and they don't last long. Other, tougher members of the Dermestid family do real well in adverse condtions. All can be taken care of with a bug bombing.

#24 Railguner

Railguner

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

I BOMB shall be detonated tomorrow! Here is my main mount. A Tule Elk that only took 15+ years to draw. Replacement cost ......$30K at least. That's what the dam Grizzly Island tag goes for each year. Also my dads first Elk...a 383 Bull from a couple years ago.Again... I REALLY appreciate your help guys! RGMy 2001 Tule...Posted ImageDads 383 Bull...Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

Wow That is some MASS!

#26 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

I do hope your are talking about the elk. :wedgie[1]:

#27 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

WOW tell 'em CH don't let them ruin the mounts. lol
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

#28 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:08 AM

Bug bomb that room right away those are some nice animals.

#29 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

:good:

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

:1106: There its bug bombed. :1106:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users