Photo

Legal Distance from Residence or Building??

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

Yeah the whole 1 foot off of the road thing could really backfire on someone and I would hate to see that happen. .243Win is providing some solid advice. Consider the fact that all Roads are defined by a measurement from center......... Ok so your on a dirt road, where is the center? Trust me I have been in this discussion with Building Inspectors, Land Surveyors, Property Owners, Forestry Department and others in my line of work and the "road" often reaches well beyond where most people drive or would think it ends and grass, culverts, ditches and even small trees do not change whatever the documented width of that particular road is. My point is, the further the better to keep you from unintentionally breaking a law and ruining an otherwise great day with family and friends. While I agree that 1' can be legal if there are no local laws that change this I have seen professional surveyors miss by 3 feet several times and 10 feet on occasion. As for the warden asking you to be more then 50 yards off the road because people can see you.......... well sounds like a cool warden just trying to help avoid conflict with the public at large and in todays world I am afraid people are going to dial 911 no mater how far away they are from us if they can see our weapon............ A few years ago early one morning on the way back from an early morning hunt the driver spotted a large herd of Elk coming at us from the drivers side of the road at a pretty good clip. I jumped out on my side of the road he jumped out on his and by the time we were ready to shoot they were crossing 150 yards in front of us. We both dropped one on our respective sides of the road but after a long discussion with the Warden who was watching us with his glasses from a ridge we both confessed to each other that we had no idea if we had actually stepped completely off of the road to shoot or not, went back to look and I was really pushing my luck. Since then I make more of an effort to off the road, Damn Buck Feaver. anyway........

#32 spectr17

spectr17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

No problem with Indian Security guy last night while dove hunting. Don't know if it was his day off or he finally figured out he was dancing with a citizen's arrest. I'm not even sure a deputy could arrest an Indian on the rez. At the time of the last encounter the Indian security guy was on BLM land so?????
~Jesse

#33 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

Bennie print off the regulation above and have it ready to show it to them when you have your talk. You shouldn't have to give up something that is perfectly legal to do just because they don't like it. Especially since other neighbors are shooting also. You may also want to print this and carry a copy with you when you hunt. I have a small laminated copy in my wallet for persistent people.

Harassment of HuntersThe Fish and Game Code outlaws“hunter harassment” or interfering withanother person who is lawfully hunting,trapping, shooting, fishing or engagingin falconry. The first offense is aninfraction; the second offense withina two-year period is a misdemeanor.Interference means any action whichphysically impedes, hinders, or obstructsthe lawful pursuit of any of the above mentionedactivities, including, but notlimited to, actions taken for the purposeof frightening away animals from the locationwhere the lawful activity is takingplace. FGC 2009.

SJ, some people have all the brains!!!..... thats a good idea, I will print that out :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#34 bretmoua

bretmoua

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

From what I read and understand in the past, is that we must be 150 yards away from any homes or buildings to be legally safe shooting.

#35 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

Well I just looked at my counties regulations which imply a 300yd. distance from any dwelling, house, residence or other building used in connection therewith. This means that my current shooting area is "safe" but that is where my question comes from. The place is full of edison towers and I dont know if these count as buildings (obviously some one couldnt live in them but Venturas regulations dont say "ocupied".

#36 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Lol, Jesse, it sounds like an Indian deputy needs to experience LE from the other side. Bennie, please take what John posted to heart and do something. This woman needs to understand the State of California passed legislation making HER actions a crime. Does she want to go to jail for it or court? How serious is she? From what you said it sounds like her husband is the voice of reason. Show the statute to him and ask that he talk to his wife. She isn't going to like the consequences of her actions.

#37 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:03 AM

You Guys realise that this post is almost 3 years old? lol
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#38 The-Wolverine

The-Wolverine

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Combat Robotics, shooting, fishing, things that go BOOM! And other fun stuff.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Lets prolong it as long as we can :)
If at first you don't succeeded, your about average.
Shoot coyotes, eat beef

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users