#1 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING THAT GOES BANG.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

IMR 4198 or H335 for my 223. I Have a load that groups great out to 300yds using the, but i was told h335 burns better and my groups would be smaller. any truth to this?

#2 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

wish i could help but I dont have a 223 yet try the nosler reloading forum some good folks over there

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

Well, unless they have a crystal ball there is no way that anyone could possibly know.However, h335 is indeed one of the standard great powders for the 223. As is Benchmark, RL10X, Varget, W748, H4895 etc. LOTS of powders work great in the 223 in other words & only the RIFLE itself can TELL you what it likes or doesn't like. If you are getting excellent accuracy & velocity, then there is probably no need to try anything else unless you just want to or enjoy handloading & don't mind spending the extra time, $$ & energy doing that. Some folks do, while others do not. I am one of those that try & experiment as much as possible, up to a point, whatever that point is? But that is just me!BTW, what grain bullet are you shooting? Frank

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

Win748 and H335 have done the best for me in 223 as far as speed(over my chronograph) and accuracy using 55 and 40gr bullets. They also meter very well thru my RCBS uniflow measure. I tried other powders but have come back to these for my rifles/pistol.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:46 AM

I get just under 3800 fps with a 40 gr bullet and 28.5 grs Benchmark powder in a 26" barrel... No other powder has done that in my testing, including all the ones mentioned above. BTW, RL10X and Benchmark were also the fastest with the 50gr bullet at 3300 fps.All these were chrono'd in 70 degree temps and 500 ft elevation... Not 90+ at 4000 in othe words & how many folks get their excesive velocities.Frank

#6 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING THAT GOES BANG.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

Well, unless they have a crystal ball there is no way that anyone could possibly know.However, h335 is indeed one of the standard great powders for the 223. As is Benchmark, RL10X, Varget, W748, H4895 etc. LOTS of powders work great in the 223 in other words & only the RIFLE itself can TELL you what it likes or doesn't like. If you are getting excellent accuracy & velocity, then there is probably no need to try anything else unless you just want to or enjoy handloading & don't mind spending the extra time, $$ & energy doing that. Some folks do, while others do not. I am one of those that try & experiment as much as possible, up to a point, whatever that point is? But that is just me!BTW, what grain bullet are you shooting? Frank

I'm shooting a 50gr V-max with 21gr of IMR4198 getting about 3170fps. my three shot groups are usually touching at 300yds ( if I don't pull the shot ). My twist is the norm 1:9 can I shoot a heaver bullet; say a 70gr? or should I stick with the 45gr to 60gr bullets.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

Well, you are getting Great results with the load you are now using & can't go wrong in staying with it. I honestly do not know if the 9" twist is fast enough for the 70 gr bullet, however, sometimes certain bullet weights &/or lengths can sometimes surprise you on what works & what doesn't. Again, proof is in the pudding & only field testing will show for sure. Also, if 300 yards is your near max distance, I doubt if there would be any (especially practical) advantage in going with any heavier bullet than the 50 grain, as your velocity (& trajectory) will suffer considerably in the 223. But hey?Frank

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

H335 works great for me. Nice, accurate ammo from my RRA carbine. 40 to 70 grain bullet range.

#9 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Benchmark. Nice velocity and very clean burning with great groups!Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users