• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

I'm going to move my Dillon 550 into my Office in my house. I'm currently setup in the garage and it's just too dang hot in the summer and too cold in the winter (actually the winter isn't that bad). Anyway, I have a small niche area that is approx 44" x 44". I don't need a deep bench (20" should be plenty). I'm currently looking at these two options:http://www.samsclub....fcfkjdgoodfgn.0http://www.harborfre...temnumber=93991I have also considered using a 36" x 18" Wall cabinet (standard kitchen wall cabinet), building a 2x4" riser to bring it up a bit and give it some toe relief and adding a top to it. This last option would cost the most, involve the most $$ and be a bitt too permanent.I think I like the idea of the rolling cart from Sam's the best.Any other ideas out there?? The niche this is going in is kind of out of sight, but I want it look decent (so no 2x4 built garage benches here).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

Just thought I would add this cool setup I found searching for ideas.http://www.curtrich.com/NewGarage.html
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

Franklin arsenal has a nice rolling bench that you can mount your press to as well. Saw it on Midway USA for a cheap price.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm, couldn't find the Frankford Arsenal one. Could you provide a link??

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Personally, I would not like a rolling bench. Just not stable enough. When working that press, it can get to walking around on you. I would prefer the third option, the kitchen cabinet with the top. To me, a solid bench is a better bench.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Good points Braz. I too have thought about the movement. I was actually thinking of installing some sort of Quick Release Mount that would secure the cart to the wall when in use. This way it would be secure, but I could move the entire press/cart when not needed.Do you think if I had it secured to the wall that would make it sturdy enough?? It will be pretty heavy from all the powder, bullets and reloading equipment.

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

A good design for a reloading bench has 4x4 legs, 2x6 stringers and at least a 1" top. I would say that just a clip to the wall wouldn't suffice. Check out this plan to see how a good bench is made. http://www.shotgunsp...bench_plans.pdf
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

I have two REALLY sturdy and HEAVY benches out in the garage. The one my presses are mounted to I can barely move. It is a design I got from a Handyman Woodworking book.I just need something small and not too intrusive in my office otherwise my wife will freak out. lol The cart with wheels meant if she totally hated it I could wheel it somewhere out of sight when not in use. If I build the cabinet and add the top then mount the press, she may be freaking out over the press. At least with the wheels, I have an out that doesn't involve wasting time/money on the cabinet.I KNOW the cabinet is the best method, but it is also the most expensive and time consuming. But, I don't want the cart to move when reloading, otherwise what's the point.Decisions, decisions.I'm hoping to decide by this weekend.PS thanks for the stuff, it arrived this weekend. :rolleyes:

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

:rolleyes: Freak out...If I moved my reloading equipment into the house...I would end up sleeping in the vacated garage. :rolleyes: You live a charmed life.

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

^^^Yeah, it took a bit of convincing. I'm also not bringing in ALL of my reloading equipment. I will still be kicked to the garage for brass prep as well as if I use my Lee Turret for anything. lolThis is why I have to keep everything contained to the small area (and as much concealed as possible).

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Well.....It looks like I DO lead a charmed life. I mentioned moving my 8' workbench I picked up at Costco a few months ago into our Bedroom. She kind of gave me THAT look. lol She actually had mentioned moving my reloading setup into the bedroom instead of the office (this way it's out of sight). Anyway, she said YES!! :fireworks3: So, looks like I will have a VERY STEADY bench. lol I don't plan to move EVERYTHING inside (for now). Just my 550B, scale, hand primer, ready to load brass, bullets, SOME powder and primers (powder and primers will be locked up) and some other smallish items. I will keep the bulk of my powder/primers/brass out in the garage as well as continue to do brass prep and tumbling out there. This will also give me a nice big bench to work on my firearms INSIDE!!

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

That didn't work out. :good: After cleaning off the bench and getting it inside, it was just too overwhelming. It fit, but I KNOW I would never live this one down. I decided to move it BACK to the garage. Did I mention how heavy this thing is?? lolSo, Now I am going with the Cart from Sam's. I'll pick it up on Monday.Oh well. ;)

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

I ended up getting this:Posted ImageI put it together last night and it is really well made.I plan to install these http://www.rockler.c.....ilter=t-track in the top surface so I can have a quick release system for my press and other items.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,393 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

That should work great. I need something like that for my outdoor cooking stuff.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, if you look at the reviews at Samsclub.com a guy is using his for a portable BBQ. He put the Propane tank in the area behind the door.

#16 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Chris, can you give us a link to the cabinet?And, what's the weight?Thanks. Sorry Chris, I see you already did.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

I got one of these a few years ago and it works pretty good. I finally broke the top while trying to size 30-06 brass down to 7x57mm mauser. I'm having one of the welders at work make me a new top out of steel.http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=155024
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#18 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

Clampdaddy, I have one of those. It just seemed too wobbly and low for me.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,393 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

For a back up and what I use at the range I found a use Black & Decker Workmate. It's a terrific reloading table that can be folded and stored or taken with you to the range like I do.http://www.amazon.co...0...228013&s=hi

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

Clampdaddy, I have one of those. It just seemed too wobbly and low for me.

Some of the folks that left reviews on that table said that theirs were wobbly but mine was pretty solid till I broke the original top. For me the height is just right. I use mine while I'm sitting on the couch (my favorite spot :1106:) and I use my left forearm to brace it. But yeah, it's way to low to use while standing.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users