15 replies to this topic

#1 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I don't know what it is other than a Redfield scope. Original. Not a Leopald remake, or Meade. My brother in law has it and he said that it would work great on my Rem 700 SPS 308. Is this brand even worth looking at? What optic range would you recommened for it? Bench/deer/varmant shooting.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Leupold bought Redfield in 2008. I have a Redfield from back in the 70s and I would put it up against a Leupold of the same time era. I don't think the newer ones have maintained the same level.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

I don't know the exact timing of what happened to Redfield. They used to be on par with Leupold's way back when. 60's-70's. Then they were made in China or somewhere and the quality went in the toilet. Old one's good,new ones if after Leuy bought them maybe good, but in between beware. That's all I know SJ would be the one to find out the exact info.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Got off the phone with him. He says it the Tracker model 3x9x32 Year unknown. I will see it wednesday and see if I can tell where it was made and that may help find out the vintage. Is this enough or should I get something with different optics?

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

Here is someones review of that scope. They seem to like it...http://finsandfur.ne...c=6942.msg78712

I'm an airgunholic

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

The tracker was the bottom end line made to compete with the cheap bushnells(sportsview). Not a quality product. I sold some of them years ago and had many come back just like the cheap bushnells. Do yourself a favor and get a leupold if you plan to really hunt in all weather with the rifle. A 3X9X40 will do you fine or if you think you need more them a 4X12 or 4X14 but stay away from the 5mm lens as you have to mount the scope up too high.

#7 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

I have a Redfield three to nine from the Early's sixties and love it. it on my .243 varmint rifle and it has served me well
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#8 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I still have my Redfield 4x, and it served me well. I put it on my son's .243.

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

I had a Redfeild 3x9 that I bought in the 70's. It lasted thirty years of bad abuse. I loved it. It was all steel or aluminum. I sent it in 5 years ago to get it fixxed and they sent me a brand new one. It had a plastic parts in some places. The new one lasted three years and sits in my closet broken. That is my experince with them. The new one they sent me was junk.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#10 Murf

Murf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing and Call Making

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

OldBlue70, If you can afford a Night Force, I promise you, you'll never look back!

#11 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

Had a 4x12 Redfield BDC and rangefinder from the mid 70's. The brass bushing on the power adjustment ring became worn out. Found a company in North Carolina that did warranty work on the old Redfield line. Sent it in, was fixed and serviced for free. It sits on my grandsons rifle today.
Taking America back, one Marxist spider hole at a time.

#12 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Well I put this Redfield on my 308 and zeroed it at 200yrds, but dont care for it too much. I will put it on my 30/30. I want something with more optic power. My friend had a 6x24 on his gun and I like the view it had, problem is it was a BSA and he said it would not hold up on my gun. He has a .17HMR, is this true of BSA?

#13 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

Yep, stay away from BSA. They are pure junk, especially on larger calibers. What was it you don't like about the Redfield? What power was it? If you go with a 6x24, it is very hard to take any shots up close at all.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#14 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

It was not as clear as I wanted even after cleaning. I also want a bit more magnification 6x24 may be too much but 9 was not enough. at 200yrds I could hit a clay target consistantly but the cross hairs where the size of the target at that range so it was easy to miss because I had very little adjustment to make. I would like to be able to make 300 yard shots consistantly. The 3x9 was not gettin that done with tight enough groups. Thank you p.s. I think I may go for a 4x12

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

Yep, after reading what you were saying, I was think 4x12.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#16 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

As of the first of Jan. redfield scopes will be back on the market made in the good USA by Leopold :)
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users