• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

Does anyone know much about the Marlin hm2 autoloader. How accurate is it? I am looking for a step-up gun for Lil'shooter in the HM2 and I noticed the Marlin weighs in at 5 LBS. Nice weight for her. Most of the others are 6lbs.I have two savage 17 HMR's, and I am also considering just getting another HMR so I don't have the issue with another different size ammo. The HM2 is cheaper to shoot though.Also, there is one locally for $219.00. Is that a decent price?Any suggestions?db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

What's the model number?

#3 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:43 AM

Mach 2 fan here :lol:Last squirrel shoot, I used my HM2 way more than I did the HMR. I was very happy with its performance on the little critters. Why do I like it? Performs similar to the HMR, but cheaper to shoot ;) Granted it is cheaper to shoot 22lr out of my 10/22, but when I converted it to the HM2, I'm never using a 22lr again ;)

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

Okay?I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again.Why would you want another round so comparable to the 17HMR that you already own?I think the manufactures shot them self?s in the foot here. The Mach 2 has a following I?ll grant you that. But the 17HMR came out first and anyone wanting a .17 caliber rimfire bought it, they (for the most part) aren?t going to buy another gun that pretty much does the same thing.I?m no manufacturing genius but off the top of my head I can think of one round that people are asking for that obviously has a market. The 5mm Rem Mag.Very confusing to me?.Dave, if you want to throw lead out of a semi auto find a nice used 10/22 for about $150 and buy 500 rounds of ammo for less than $20.Gina will still love it and you?ll be money a head for the next toy.Sorry Mach 2 fans-I just don?t see why this round is so popular. My guess is it won?t last.Getting off my soap box now.

Steve,Didn't know you were so passionate about the M2. But don't hold back your feelings on my account. :D I don't want another 22, but all of the 17 rimfires I have looked at are in the 6lb category. The only one at 5 lbs is the Marlin 17m2. Genna is small framed and she still has some growing to do to handle a 6lb gun with a scope.I was hoping to get some ideas from some of the other guys that may know of a 17 that is light weight and is multi-shot. For the 22, she loves her little cub, but it was difficult for her to hit squirrels out past 50 yards with the 4x scope and the 22. I ordered a sweet 17 for her in 3x9 as well, so she can have a better chance at the jacks when I take her and Ryan to my brother's place.The 17 HMR is a nice round, and I already mentioned the fact that I was pondering whether I wanted to have two different cartridges for 17 since Point Blank and my rifles are already in the 17HMR.As for two guns that do the same thing, I am sure your gun safe has one rimfire, one centerfire varmint, and one centerfire deer rifle, is that correct? :P :D db

Mach 2 fan here :lol:Last squirrel shoot, I used my HM2 way more than I did the HMR. I was very happy with its performance on the little critters. Why do I like it? Performs similar to the HMR, but cheaper to shoot ;) Granted it is cheaper to shoot 22lr out of my 10/22, but when I converted it to the HM2, I'm never using a 22lr again ;)

Thanks Joel,Does Ruger make a M2 for the 10/22 yet? You said you had to convert yours. What did it cost to convert?db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Dave,Here is a link to the .17M2 conversion for the 10/22.http://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.htmlIt's only $159 and for that you can get either the heavy barrel or the factory taper and you get a new heavy bolt handle assembly. You have to buy them both because the higher speed of the .17M2 would cycle the bolt too fast and it wouldn't load. I see Steve doesn't want one but Eric Mayer has one in the eabco conversion and loves it. Bill D. shoots one quite well in a Contender Super 14 too. But I remember Steve had a .22-250 once and it was the only gun to have. Yadda Yadda Yadda. ;) So since Steve doesn't have one no one else should either. Yeah right! :D ;) :D I'm converting one of my 10/22's because a .17HMR is a bit much but nice for longer range. The .17M2 is nice because it's quieter than the HMR, faster, more accurate and shoots flatter than a .22LR. It will be the perfect plinking gun in a semi-auto. I'm going with the factory taper barrel to keep the weight down and make it fun to play with. That's my take on the little Mach 2.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

What John said about the conversion... :)But I used a kit from Boyd's. The bolt is supposedly the same from EABCO. With a heavy barrel, it will be over your weight specifications though.

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

I got a Boyd conversion kits for my 10/22 its great I got the bull barrel and its a little heavy. If you get her a boyds kit you could get her the pink and purple stock at least that is the one my three year old daughter told me she wants when she gets a gun :P I just looked and it looks like boyds only has heavy barrels. Good luck in what ever you get. I have 17 HMR and a Mach 2 and last trip to Cedarville I shot the 17 Mach 2 more. got tot love a semi auto Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:07 PM

Whatever.... :P

That's all I get? :P Alright then. :)

Time waits for no one--

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

Sorry I meant to give you 4 of these too! :P :) :P :D :P

That's more like it. Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#10 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

I just found a 10/22 17HM2 conversion that uses a standard contour barrel (lite).I can't seem to find who the maker is though?17HM2 Standard BarrelThis should reach out farther than the 22lr, but still be lightweight.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:08 AM

I just found a 10/22 17HM2 conversion that uses a standard contour barrel (lite).I can't seem to find who the maker is though?

Joel, that link I gave above has a standard taper barrel in it too. They call it a Factory Contour barrel https://www.eabco.co...ion&key=127-172 Or as you called it a (lite). :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

Used for $170http://www.gunsameri...s/976735303.htmNIB for $179http://www.gunsameri...s/976357649.htmUsed for $158http://www.gunsameri...s/976724797.htmUsed ????? $150http://www.gunsameri...s/976677204.htmStainless $250http://www.gunsameri...s/976734186.htmStainless, Sythethic and scope $150http://www.gunsameri...s/976736686.htm

#13 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Joel, that link I gave above has a standard taper barrel in it too. They call it a Factory Contour barrel https://www.eabco.co...ion&key=127-172 Or as you called it a (lite). :lol:

Sorry about that John. I guess I should have read farther down the description, I stopped reading when it said .920. :P The EABCO barrel is less expensive too at $159! I still need to find out if the Butler Creek Hot Lips loader will work for the 17HM2. If it does load 17HM2, those squirrels better look out :P

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

I still need to find out if the Butler Creek Hot Lips loader will work for the 17HM2. If it does load 17HM2, those squirrels better look out :lol:

There shouldn't be a problem because you use the same magazines as the .22LR.

Time waits for no one--

#15 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

I've been considering getting the EABCO kit for my unreliable 10/22, hoping it will "cure" it. I never shoot it anyways, might as well make it into something useful. Only thing stopping me is the possibility that it still will have light strikes etc like it does now. That would be really lame after spending all that $$$ on a HM2 kit.

#16 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

I'm in the same boat as Steve:Why a HM2I can see Dave is trying to save weight, but any other reasonI don't get it :rolleyes:
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Ok you 10/22 owners .... who is going to do this conversion???

#18 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

I probably will in a year or two. It's not a priority for now.

#19 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

Here is my little gem of a 17/22 :rolleyes:Posted Image

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

I'm in the same boat as Steve:Why a HM2I can see Dave is trying to save weight, but any other reasonI don't get it :rolleyes:

I'm converting one of my 10/22's because first and foremost I don't care for the .22LR anymore. 22LR is borderline effective past 50 yards, they aren't the most accurate and they ricochet terribly.So now you ask why not just the .17HMR. Well, I think it's overkill for some of the shooting I do, it's louder than it need be and the cost is more. Now you say louder? :o Well, it is and more noise translates into more squirrels and other animals hiding due to the BANG. Besides, since I won't be shooting .22LR's anymore I have a gun I won't be using and the .17M2 will be a great replacement I'm able to shoot for less money than the HMR. ;) :D

Time waits for no one--

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

Excellent points.

#22 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

Ok you 10/22 owners .... who is going to do this conversion???

My barrel is delivered tomorrow, I'll snap a pic when I put it together. It's similar to Joel's. I picked up a total beater and refinished the receiver w/ Duracoat and did the Boyd's kit.I'd like to have an HMR as well but can't seem to find a good semi auto. The 597 seems to get real bad press... Sorry didn't mean to hijack...

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

Look at the VQ, Capitol has one and it's nice.

Or ask Buzzrd feedr he's got 3 or 4 VQ's.One last thing I left out of my reasons for converting my 10/22 to the .17M2. One thing I've really noticed with noise and squirrel hunting over the years is second shots. I'm not saying I missed the first one, but a followup shot to another close by squirrel sure makes a semi-auto shine. That's why the Volquartzens are so popular in the .17HMR's. Just think of the .17M2 as the baby VQ that anyone can afford to own and shoot. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#24 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

Heywood, my 10/22 was a total beater too ;) Got it for a real good deal! Then I stripped everything off, kept the reciever (of course) and the bolt assembly. Everything else was sold on Ebay. When it was said and done, I recouped most of my money and my reciever/bolt only cost less than $50. :rolleyes:

#25 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

The 597...the Ford Pinto of Remington's line.I guess every company has one some time or another....Look at the VQ, Capitol has one and it's nice.

VQ :rolleyes: I should have mentioned reasonably priced ;) I'll have to look at Capitol, haven't heard of them.

#26 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

They are a touch out of my price range, too. I can't believe someone else hasn't made a good little auto loader for the 17 hmr.

#27 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, its a wonder why no other company has touched on the semi auto 17? I've heard of a few attempts, but all seem to fail in some ways???VQ seems to be the only semi out that seems to work right. I've seen Capitol's VQ, I'm sold and will be getting one for next years squirrel trip :rolleyes:

#28 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

Any pictures of that cool toy?

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Any pictures of that cool toy?

Go to http://www.volquartsen.com/ and then check out their Photo gallery. I wouldn't mind one of the Ruger MKII pistols they build.

Time waits for no one--

#30 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

Go to http://www.volquartsen.com/ and then check out their Photo gallery. I wouldn't mind one of the Ruger MKII pistols they build.

Same here John, but VQ won't submit any of their recievers or whole pistols for the CA drop test.... :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users