#1 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

I pulled my Bear Whitetail II out of the attic this weekend. It looks in good shape and I put a few arrows in a straw bale. The bow is close to 20 years old and shows little to no signs of wear. Is there anything that I should absolutely check? What can I do to keep it in or get in back in shape? I won't be hunting with it this season but would like to hone my skills for next year. I look forward to hearing any and all suggestion. Thank you in advance.Tim

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

Take your bow into a pro shop and have them go over it. I would not trust the bow string for sure. You are braver than I pulling it back and firing a few arrows out of it. If the string broke while at full draw, it wouldn't be so bad but if it broke when released, it's like a small explosion of parts. If they don't sell any strings for your bow, have the shop custom make you one out of the new low-stretch synthetic string materials. The pulleys need to be gone over to make sure there are no unseen cracks and they will need to be lubed up again. The limbs need to be checked to see if how much strength they've lost. When I store my compound bows and crossbows, I always back the limb bolts off to the lowest poundage possible to release some pressure on them. This will prolong the life of the limbs. I'd take it to a pro shop just to make sure everything is okay if I were you. :two-cents:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users