13 replies to this topic

#1 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:16 AM

After passing on a shot at monster buck saturday night, I was wondering about different sights for low light situations. So I did a search on low light bowhunting. And came up with Hind Sight - No Peep- Lighted sight pins and of course Laser sights. Does anybody have any input on any of these products? I'm 50 years old and as where most people my age put glasses on to read I take mine off. I'm currently using a string peep and a PSE Top Gun sight. Thanks, Tom

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:18 AM

I know most (if not all) of the Spot-Hogg sights have a light accessory that can be attached to the fiber optic post to light the pins. My limbsaver can do the same. Never heard of anybody using a laser on a bow, but I guess it can be done.Of course, you can also do it the right way, and practice with a recurve and shoot instinctively!

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Of course, you can also do it the right way, and practice with a recurve and shoot instinctively!

Beat me to that :signlol2iu: . My sights work just fine in low lite. Well as long as its not a deer, deer to big to hit.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

I knew Thumper and the rest of you stick and string guys would weigh in on this one, but Ive never been one for "doing things the right way"I really do like shooting with the sights but they suck in low light situations. I shoot with my glasses on, if I took them off I could see the sight but not the target. Sucks getting old. er

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

I have a light on my Tru Glo site. You can also use a flashlight with your bow arm.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

I use a spott hogg with a lighted sight to hunt pigs on full a full moon in texas and it works great, I'm just starting to use it on coyotes at night here. The one thing you have to do is put enough tape over the light to only light the 20 yard pin otherwise the lighted pins take up your night vision and all you see is the pins. For deer you should be able to see your pins with no light throughout all of the shooting time as you have to stop 1/2 hour before sunset. Lazers are a big no no in california as it projects a beam of light on the game( check the regs)I haven't looked it up in a while but I don't think it has changed.

#7 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

I knew Thumper and the rest of you stick and string guys would weigh in on this one, but Ive never been one for "doing things the right way"I really do like shooting with the sights but they suck in low light situations. I shoot with my glasses on, if I took them off I could see the sight but not the target. Sucks getting old. er

i was just at a friend of mines house that i have been shooting archery tournaments with for several years, he showed me his new sights on his bow and they are fine pins but really bright.this sight does come with a light as an acc. i dont remember the brand but if you wanna check it out i'll call him tomarrow and ask.i have the high end cobra fine sights on mine they are real bright also. there are a lot of options out there but see'in them all is a whole other monster all together.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

+1 on what jawbreaker said about the laser sights-big NO-NO in this state. I've used both the Spot Hawgs and the Cobra sights and as long as you have the micro pins, you should be able to see the animal just fine. Do you have a large peep on your bow? I find that I can't use the same peep that I use in regular daylight for low light hunting. I have the ones called Super Peeps. I just leave the screw in peep out and use the housing (1/4" or more hole) as my low light peep.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#9 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

jawbreaker I think you meant -Hunting and shooting hours shall be one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. I know where I'm hunting the sun sets alot earlier than the weather man says as I'm down in a deep drainage and under a canopy of trees. It gets dark down there pretty quickly. And of course with this full moon we're under the deer are in no hurry to come out before dark. If I don't score on that deer by the end of bow season I want to try a different sight before rifle season starts. Perhars just bigger sight pins on the sight I already have. Thanks for your input guys. Tom

#10 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

While setting in my blind last night I had some time to make a few observations (being there were no deer to look at) My bottom site pin (60 yard) was the brightest pin of the 5 on my site and the 2 bottom pins were different than the top 3. Which tells me the previous owner added them later. So when I got home I removed the top pin and moved the bottom pin to that position. I dont plan on or want to take any 50-60 yard shots anyway. I also obsevered when it got to dark to see my pins in my blind and I came back up the hill under an open sky there was enough lite to see my pins again.

#11 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

I understand that the light that screws into my tru-glow isn't legal with DFG. Anyone else see that in the regs?

#12 wanapasaki

wanapasaki

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, and Fishing.. Thats about it LOL

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

Almost got a ticket for my truglow light even though it was late morning. Was warned. Unscrew it and pop the bulb out. It's not worth it lol

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I think the law say you can't use a sight that casts a light on the game. I will have to go through the regs again.

#14 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

I found it, read for yourself(the last sentence).i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, "red-dot" scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted I think lighted sight pins are legal. NOT LASER SIGHTS. Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users