21 replies to this topic

#1 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

What size Ice Chest do you guys use to put your Mule Deer meat in?Assuming it is a "normal" size Deer, and quartered out, would a 65 liter/qt ice chest be sufficient?Thanks.

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

From what state? Calif deer arent real big, say compared to Colorado deer.

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:17 AM

Where I hunt there are also pigs, so I have a 150 qt. ice chest in case I shoot a large hog or two.

#4 KarlInCalif

KarlInCalif

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Buck deer rifle-hunting in the Calif Sierra in fall.<br />Scuba diving in Calif and Mexico.<br />Epee sword-fencing.<br />Hiking and jogging.<br />Freemasonry.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

I am surprised that people are bone-ing out meat before it has been allowed to age for 7 to 10 days in a fridge first.Therefore I bring a saw with me when I go hunting, with which to half the carcass down the spine line, and then wrap each half in a tarp with blocks of ice inside gallon freezer bags, to keep the meat cool while it is in the rigor stage, for the drive back home.Then when I get home, I empty my fridge, taking out the shelves and drawers as well, and then quarter the halves, and stack them in the fridge for about 10 days, leaving it closed without ever opening the door until 10 days are past.Coyotehuntress, I know you are a professional at all this, so what do you say?

#5 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

I have always been told that pork should not be aged, and I always bone it and get it on ice as soon as i get to camp. we always take a large ice chest full of ice only duct taped along the seal to be used in case we get pork depending on the weather

#6 KarlInCalif

KarlInCalif

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Buck deer rifle-hunting in the Calif Sierra in fall.<br />Scuba diving in Calif and Mexico.<br />Epee sword-fencing.<br />Hiking and jogging.<br />Freemasonry.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

4RHUNTS sneaked in the pork reply while I was typing my reply to the mule deer question.I know nothing about pork nor hunting it. I only hunt deer.

#7 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

Then when I get home, I empty my fridge, taking out the shelves and drawers as well, and then quarter the halves, and stack them in the fridge for about 10 days, leaving it closed without ever opening the door until 10 days are past.Honey, I'm home..can you help me clear out the fridge... :drool:

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Yes rigor is good for making it tender... but if your making burger or sausage there is no need.. If you have the space a week in very cold fridge is good, rigor usualy only lasts about 3 days.. so Technically you could cut it up then.. If the deer is running it will go into rigor faster... Most kitchen fridges arent really cold enough to go a full week.. Specially if you got kids fanning the door for drinks and such. I knew of a guy that would hang it 3 weeks at the locker.. IM talking the outside is NASTY green moldy ICK.. you cut off all the gross stuff. and the inside is just as tender as a slab of butter. COurse he wastes most the meat doing that.. but he swears what is left is pure slice of heaven.AT the locker they hang it a week before cutting it up... so it will be tender... IN Colorado we dont have time to hang ours.. THe tough cuts we make into stew meat, the tender goes for steaks and the rest is all ground for burger and sausage. and I usually get a few roasts... Calif deer.. WEll Id have to get another fridge cuz most my fridge space in the shop is used for heads that come in to keep them cool while IM caping others...Thast IF I could squeeze in some deer hunting here LOL... Also you can quarter it and rigor will still work...

#9 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

I have a California Deer and Bear tag and I am going to Texas for Whitetail, Axis, and pigs. I should probably get something bigger, say 100qt?I'm a rookie Deer hunter, Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

#10 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Long as there's enough rooom for some Corona in there some where.

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

http://www.cabelas.c...=0020842517496a Here is my dream chest :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Im HOPING to get one this year....

#12 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Very cool chest. My dream chest is Jennifer Love Hewitt! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

CH have you looked at the yeti cooler? They seem nice also.

#14 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

NO Havent heard of it.. WHo sells it>?

#15 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Not sure who sells it but they have their own site...seems like good quality.

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

Yes I found it.. INteresting, But I havent seen where they list the heat level... It says how cold it can be kept, but so far havent read how hot it can be without lossing inside temp... Ill keep reading.. Dan g price tag is horrible though... 749

#17 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

I keep an extra fredge just for deer. 35Dg I think thats cold enough. Quater them out let set for a week. Dont lay in a pan keep it on a rack. keep dry. I would get a big ice chest, might get a pig and deer.

#18 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:54 AM

I have a California Deer and Bear tag and I am going to Texas for Whitetail, Axis, and pigs. I should probably get something bigger, say 100qt?I'm a rookie Deer hunter, Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

If you are driving to Texas to hunt you better plan on taking a few coolers.5 whitetail, an axis buck and a couple of pigs processed and packed with enough dry-ice to get you home. That will run 4-5 large coolers, 100-150 qts. each. Good Luck, Karl

#19 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

Yes I found it.. INteresting, But I havent seen where they list the heat level... It says how cold it can be kept, but so far havent read how hot it can be without lossing inside temp... Ill keep reading.. Dan g price tag is horrible though... 749

Rae I have an old Icey-Tek cooler which was the forerunner to the Yeti cooler. Sportsmans in Rocklin is a dealer. I'm really hard on equipment and these tings are really tough and hold ice longer than anything I've ever had. The Marine Igloo doesn't hold a candle to these on Ice retention. They also are very easy to clean due to the material they use and the smooth finish. . The cabelas one in my opinion with all the ribs and nooks and cranny's doesn't look like it would clean up easily. Another ice chest to look at is the Frigid Rigid, I've seen some tests and they come out at the top of the heap. I don't who did the test though, it may have been by frigid rigid. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#20 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

No kidding Karl. That would be a Ton of meat! Probably literally. LOLThanks

#21 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

so many differnt ways to bring a deer home. i was just gonna field dress it and drive it to a local butcher the same day or the next.i figure the butcher could take care of the rest.

#22 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

so many differnt ways to bring a deer home. i was just gonna field dress it and drive it to a local butcher the same day or the next.i figure the butcher could take care of the rest.

On most Texas deer there is no reason to field dress. There is nothing inside the chest cavity worth having(unless you like some of the groceries). Hang em, skin em and take the meat off from the outside. Drag the carcass to a coyote spot and leave it for later. You will have four legs, backstrap and what you scrape off the neck etc.. If you really want the ribs then forget this method. I like to use a scalpel. Very sharp and when the blade gets dull just swap it out. The processor can age it for you package and ship if you can't wait for it. Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users