#1 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

I was studying the regs tonight and discovered that quail season for archery started last weekend.Has anyone ever had any success? I just started shooting a compound bow but I'm curious as I found quail last weekend.Anyone got any stories?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

It's a learning experience.

#3 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

I would use blunts since judos have a tendency to tear up such a small bird. You don't have to use flu-flu's for quail since they aren't migratory. For best results look for them on the ground under bushes, pick one, range it, and let loose an arrow. Most of the time your shots will be 30 yds. + which makes it tough to hit such a small target. I am not successful a lot of the times, but I love shooting at small animals like quail, and squirrels; it really helps to hone your skills. Good luck in bagging some birds.

#4 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Ever try it with field points? I would think they would anchor those little rascals.Learning experience, John? Lol

#5 GnarlyDude

GnarlyDude

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

yupp id recommend the bludgeon style heads. judos and those type just shred the birds to pieces

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

I use 11/32 wood shafts with flu flu's for my longbow. A .357 case fits perfectly over this sized shaft. I put the empty case on a grain scale, and add shot until the case weighs 100 grains (the same weight as my field points). Then I torch the case to melt the shot, wait a few seconds to cool down, and drop in a pellet of hot melt glue. 10 seconds later I jam the arrow shaft down into the melted glue - a perfect blunt. Wingshooting quail is tricky, and requires a fast draw and even faster reflexes - I've only been able to connect twice in dozens of outings, but it sure is fun!

#7 wanapasaki

wanapasaki

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, and Fishing.. Thats about it LOL

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

I just use the stock field points. Quail get real close. Sit by the sticker brush where you see them head into and stay about 10 yards away. They take about 10-15 minutes to loosen back up but they walk right out and usually you get a 10 second or so window to shoot. Good luck

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

357 case works great like Baja said. Field points just ricochet all over the place. Grouse is open also Much bigger target but they are harder to find.

#9 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

I've never hunted quail with a bow or anything else, but I know they make quail calls and was wondering if anyone has ever used one. Are they more for locating birds and not so much for bringing them in? There are alot of quail around here and I do here them most everyday.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Quail calls work very well. I use them mainly to locate birds after they flush now. But as a kid used one almost exclusively to bring them to me.

#11 ffcoyote

ffcoyote

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Thumper what do you mean a 357 case? do you have a picture of this?

#12 jpurtee

jpurtee

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Looking for a bowhunting partner for A32 Zone.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Like John said, it's a learning experience. Right place, right time, right gear etc. Got these two mtn quail Saturday in Los Padres with one arrow. Shot the head off the first one and it knocked out the second one - a lucky shot from about 15 yards. Unfortunately with the terrain, that was it for the day. :signs1180lq: Can't wait to go back, but the season is almost over. Ran into two other bowhunters who said they've been quail hunting the same canyon for 35 years.Attached File  1.jpg   10.03KB   33 downloads

#13 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hunting of all types, 3D-Archery and Sporting Clays.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

I'm all for challenging myself, but I'm also a fan of eating. I'll have to try it some day, but for now, while it's still legal...I'm throwing lead.SnS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users