Photo

Because I trust ya'll...what do you think of this Sammy?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

I'm talking to a couple of guys about theie Sammies and the rest of the work needed to be finished, driveable/street legal. Would one of these Rock Hoppers be a good hunting vehicle for So. Calif.?http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTruckshttp://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

#2 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

that's some serious offroad stuff, not sure if you really need that for so. cal.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

Once you put your lunch pail in it, where do you put the rest of your gear?? :hellohello9il: Pickup trucks are hard to beatFrank

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Frank is right on with his statement.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

I'm not sure where you're going, but I think those will get you into more trouble than out of. I owned one when they first came over to the U.S. and there is zero room for anything in those things. They'll climb just about anything, but in my opinion nothing beats a Toyota truck.

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

I have refused to buy any foriegn made vehicles...only owned Dodge, Ford and Jeep cars & trucks. Have seen 4X4 trucks get in too deep and someone here suggested the Sammy cuz it is so light you can pick it up and move it if necessary. What is the best hunting vehicle for hot and cold weather in the mountains and deserts that is still okay to drive around town and on the freeway.

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

This one.http://www.californi...showtopic=14593
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

What is the best hunting vehicle for hot and cold weather in the mountains and deserts that is still okay to drive around town and on the freeway.

I must be missing something... coulda swore we already answered that? But hey, I AM old! :drool:

This one.http://www.californi...showtopic=14593

Now there ya go... Braz comes through again! :drool: Frankp.s. I think Braz is selling it for a TOYOTA Tundra? :smiley_green_with_envy:

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

:oops: one more.... sorry I can't help myself :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I have refused to buy any foriegn made vehicles

My condolences; always hate seeing folks lose their $$ like that. Oh wait, my truck has a Dodge emblem on it. Gotta remember to remove that in the morning. That's the ticket! :smiley-outta-here:

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

If I'm not mistaken here, isn't Suzuki foreign made? Also, those vehicles don't look to safe to be driving down the streets or freeways. Those huge tires are a rolling nightmare to stop on the streets quickly even with his "custom" brakes. I didn't see anything about sway bars on the vehicle either. If you've ever driven a vehicle on the street with it's sway bars removed or disconnected, you'll know what I mean when I say OMG! I wouldn't waste your money on those. Just get a good 4x4 pickup or a Jeep that hasn't been altered too much and they'll make great, reliable hunting vehicles.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#11 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

I have to totally agree on the Jeep Cherokee.. I can assure you that it will go just about anywhere you have the balls to take it and usually come back out. Of course, as always the truck is only as smart and good as the driver.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#12 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

well i have been using a sammy for hunting for the last 3 years and i havent had any problems. but mine isnt lifted. i bought it for hunting and a lifted sammy is not hunting friendly.mines bone stock goes anywhere i want it to and get good gas mileage too.the lifted ones are the ones that got the roll over rap, at least thats what i've been told.again mine gets the huntin done and its been extremely reliable.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

I agree 100% on the cherokee, and would buy Braz's in a heart beat but I'm looking for a 6cyl XJ model not a grand/V8. You can use them stock and go just about anywhere or with light mods(3 or 4 inch lift and some lockers) you are off road ready.

#14 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

You must not have checked them out very well. You can go the same places with the grand as you can with the cherokee. And in more comfort.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I like the grands but they're not put together the same as far as transfer cases and drive shafts(so I've been told) and I like the straight 6, my 73 cj was bullet proof and it had an older version of the same motor.

#16 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

Those are some Bad A$$ sammies! I'ld take one for a hunting or trails rig any day! What would you use it for? -Jeremy

#17 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

Those are neat rigs, for full on rockcrawling. There is absolutely no need for anything that knarly for hunting in CA. I've always driven a full size pickup, because that is what I drive. Need it for work. But really all you need is something that can handle gravel roads. I rarely even put my pickup in 4 wheel drive while hunting, the only time I need it is for snow. These new pickups are like cars anyway, lower to the ground etc. But they still work fine and ride better. One of those looks very uncomfortable and not real practical.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#18 scdave

scdave

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

If I'm not mistaken here, isn't Suzuki foreign made? Also, those vehicles don't look to safe to be driving down the streets or freeways. Those huge tires are a rolling nightmare to stop on the streets quickly even with his "custom" brakes. I didn't see anything about sway bars on the vehicle either. If you've ever driven a vehicle on the street with it's sway bars removed or disconnected, you'll know what I mean when I say OMG! I wouldn't waste your money on those.

I agree with the big tires on the street. Honestly the best set up for both on and off road is a nearly stock samurai. I've had the best luck with mine for 2 years of DD and beating the heck out of it off road. The key is to keep them low to the ground. I run mine on 29" tall tires, 2" missing link shackles in the front (for tire clearence), stock hieght in the back, no sway bars, 6.5:1 Transfer case gears and a mini spool* in the rear diff. I drove it 65 miles a day back and forth over HWY 17 in the santa cruz mnt. (if anyone is familier with that road) and wheeled the heck out of it following all the big jeeps anywhere they went and even around them a few times. Wheeled the rubicon no problem. Space is an issue but you just have to pack creatively pack. My Tin Top surprised me how much I could fit in it. (large ice chest, tent, campchair, sleeping bag / pad, large fold up dog cage, portable webber grill, dirtbike equipment bag w/ boots helmet etc., + typicall camping equipment, food and my dog (no passengers though).*Mini spool on the street will cause your tires to chirp a lot on turns, but never hand an issue in handling.

#19 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

*Mini spool on the street will cause your tires to chirp a lot on turns, but never hand an issue in handling.

You obviously have never ran much in the snow. I'm sure a spool is fine in most terrain, just keep it in mind if you ever need to run in the snow (on road) that a spool will cause big time handling problems, esp in a short wheelbase vehicle. It will want to swap ends in every turn. Just for future reference... ;)I can't see how a guy could enjoy those things much, a crew cab long box pickup is to small for me. Of course I tend to pack around enough tools, fuel, parts etc to rebuild the space shuttle. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: By the time a guy gets a couple of rifles, and a lunch your sammi is full. Heaven forbid you want to bring a friend and his guns.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#20 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

This is my big 4x4 rig. RockCrawlers look out Posted ImageIt will hold at least a buck!

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

I'm sure it will hold a $1 but I don't know about a buck! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--

#22 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'm sure it will hold a $1 but I don't know about a buck! :o

Thats my hunting rig believe it or not. People sure look surprised when you pull up in the middle of the woods in a corolla but the look on there faces when it has a deer in the back is priceless!!!

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

Whatever gets you there and back is what counts. I've carried some big deer on my old Honda 90 trail bike. :o

Time waits for no one--

#24 camopaint

camopaint

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:27 PM

Toyota Tacoma 4 door 4 wheel drive, bone stock. Cant get much better for an all around rig. Just ask the people who have ridden in mine!I like the cherokees but the interior starts to smell bad when you load dead coyotes into the back!

#25 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

I miss my Tacoma =( That's a well built truck!

#26 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Perhaps this is a better choice? Certainly is more masculine than a Sammy.Subtle eh?

Attached Files

#27 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Perhaps this is a better choice?

yep, getting warmer :roflmao3[1]: Frank

#28 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

nevermind

#29 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

I think its nice but its not a Jeep :signs1180lq:
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

#30 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

Perhaps this is a better choice? Certainly is more masculine than a Sammy.Subtle eh?

I tried to get one of those unstuck last year down in Ocotillo Wells Recreational area. Almost ruined the 10,000lb winch on my Jeep. Guy had it lifted just like the one in the photo but once his axles were laying on top of the sand and dirt-he was done! Too much weight for an offroad vehicle. He must've thought he was driving the real Humm Vee!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users