47 replies to this topic

#1 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

so i was looking at the big 5 ads and noticed a couple of 12 gauge shot guns that might be decent guns.Now im new to shot guns so im asking the pros(thats you guys) what would be a good choice.There is a mossberg 28" 12 ga. vent rib pump shotgun that coms with extra 18 1/2 inch barrel and handles 2 1/4 or 3 inch shells for 279.99. The other is a benelli nova 12 ga. 28" ventilated barel with 3 choke tubes for 399.99. so is ether one good and if so what would be a good choice. Id like to hunt dove ,quail,turkey, and duck.thanks for your help in advance.

#2 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

go to the nearest pwan shop and see what they got, 870's, 1187's, 1000's, mossberg 500. the 18 inch barrels not good for much more than buck shot clearing the streets, make sure and get one in three inch with coke tubes and you can't hardly miss, not many people shoot um enough to wear one out, so check out the used ones and make offer, don't pay whats on the tag, make um an offer, have fun stephen

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

Stephen means a Remington 1100, not a 1000...Good advice, a used but in good condition Remington will be higher quality and last longer than a new cheaply made Big 5 special.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:04 AM

Ok thats what i was thinking to so il check the pawn shop and the guns shops around. thank you.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

Since you have turkey and waterfowl on the menu I'd think about getting a gun that will shoot a 3.5 inch shell. I wish I would've when I bought my last shotgun. They can pack more pellets or speed, and twards the end of duck season most stores will be sold out of 3 inch shells and I'm not a big fan of the 2.75 inch steel loads. Seems like the heavy 3.5 inch coyote loads are easier to find on the shelf too.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 KarlInCalif

KarlInCalif

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Buck deer rifle-hunting in the Calif Sierra in fall.<br />Scuba diving in Calif and Mexico.<br />Epee sword-fencing.<br />Hiking and jogging.<br />Freemasonry.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Doves and quail would most likely require a smaller shotgun.For ducks you would want a medium 12 gauge.For turkeys you would want a magnum 12 gauge.One gun for all 3 is not going to work too well, in my opinion.My personal view is that Mossberg is the best, but then, that's what I was trained on by the U.S. military.So I would special order 3 different Mossbergs for these 3 classes of game birds.And then get a Liberty Centurion gun safe to store them in.But that's just me. I like specialized guns. I like special orders. And I like the best of everything.Life is too short to settle for second-best.:rolleyes:

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

But that's just me. I like specialized guns. I like special orders. And I like the best of everything.Life is too short to settle for second-best.

B) If that's the case why would you order three mossbergs? ^_^ You know, I hear that Browning, Beretta, Benelli, and Winchester make some pretty good shotguns too. B) :signlol2iu: :pot:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

I do not hunt birds but I am wondering if one shotgun with a few different chokes would help Tony with his budget and still allow him to hunt the different types of birds he describes? Again I am ASKING not advising so dont murder me here...... B)

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

My votes go to either:1. Beretta Urika 28" (not cheap but super sweet to shoot)2. Remington 11-87 3.5" chamber 28" barrel (less $$ than the Beretta and has more felt recoil but it's very reliable)
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

I do not hunt birds but I am wondering if one shotgun with a few different chokes would help Tony with his budget and still allow him to hunt the different types of birds he describes? Again I am ASKING not advising so dont murder me here...... :lol:

Yes. a good economical pump gun with choke tubes and a minimum of a 3 inch chamber will do any job that needs doing. I started with an 870 express magnum and it served me well for dove, crow, rabbits, pheasant, ducks, geese and a couple clay games.

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

The semi's I mentioned MAY be out of your budget, but if you could stretch it, you may never need another hunting shotgun. ;)If I HAD TO choose only one and my budget was around $300 I would go with an 870 12ga 3" or 3.5" with a 28" barrel. I didn't have to go that route and I STARTED with a Beretta Urika and never looked back. :lol:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#12 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

Don't get a Mossberg. Good advice from prior posters, find a good used Rem. 870 Wingmaster (not the express) or a Browning BPS w/3" chamber in 12 ga. There's a reason it is rated as one of the best shotguns ever. Points well and reliable. The 3 1/2" is not necessary, they kick like a mule especially in a pump gun.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

What's wrong with the Express?? I haven't had one, but I thought THEY were the staple??

#14 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

Nothing wrong with the express but the old WingMaster 870 IMHO a much finer shotgun. The express is a common raffle gun at fund raisers and can be had for very reasonable $. I'm just from the old school. :good:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

When I was shopping for my first shotgun a few years ago, I did a TON of research. For a pump EVERYONE just kept saying get an 870 (and they were talking about the express cause they were also saying how cheap they were). I went and started paperwork on an 870 express , but during my 10 day wait I had the chance to hunt some Dove with an old beretta semi. I fell in love and went down and changed it from a $279 870 to a $1100 Beretta Urika. Other than the fact I SHOULD have spent the extra $200 and got the Extrema II I LOVE this shotgun.I just remember a ton about the reliability of the 870.

#16 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

you guys are a ton of help.so what im thinking is the 870 w i s a great reliable gun and a great price(price really matters with the shitty aconomy)the beretta urika sounds like quality and reliabilty and a alaround realy nice gun but the price is up there.im really leaning towards the 870 and im gonna drive over to the gun shop to pick up a rifle and check out there shotguns and see what there prices are and give my self a week to decide.il let you guys know what i looked at and what they recomended and what other info i get. thanks agian..

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

If you know someone local with a shotgun or two it would do you a great service to get out shoot a couple. A 870 compared to a 11-87 compared to a Beretta Urika the experience is competely different. If recoil doesn't bother you, go with a pump. TONS of people use 870's and it works fine for them. I have a tendency to let recoil affect me too much (I guess I'm a whimp). The difference is substantial. One other thing to note. The 870 will handle any load you throw at it as YOU are the one cycling the action. IF you get into semi's you now have to be aware of light loads NOT cycling properly (such as the Benelli's). The Beretta's on the other hand (as far as semi's go) are known for handling the light loads.I'm not trying to talk you out of an 870. Just that if it was possible to shoot one, you should try it out BEFORE buying. You may find it's worth saving a bit more $$ and getting an 11-87.

#18 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

Wannakillcoyote is absolutely correct about trying them all out if you can. Finding people that own that many different shotguns near to you could prove difficult though. Personally, since you are new to shotguns (as you stated) I would not jump in head first with a $1000+ shotgun when an 870 will do every thing you want for now and forever. Then, if you do enjoy it, buy the MUCH more expensive one. Your 870 will make the perfect back-up shotgun as well as a great tool to use to introduce family and friends to shotgunning. Good luck with your choice, whatever it is.

#19 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Early express' were great guns. If you can, try to find a used express that has a metal trigger guard. About the time they went to plastic ones the quality of the guns dropped off. My expess was made in the early 1990s and it is great. The action is just as smooth as a wingmaster I've shot and it has slammed thru countless thousands of shells in all kinds of weather without a single problem. I have two cousins that own later model guns with plastic trigger groups and like some of the other posters said, they barely deserve to be called an 870. Also, I'd recommend that you stay away from the synthetic stock models. The comb is narrow and a little high. They are fine with light loads but heavy 3 inch loads drive that comb right into my cheek and it friggin hurts!

#20 wanapasaki

wanapasaki

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, and Fishing.. Thats about it LOL

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

Dude, I have a mossberg 500 20 gauge. I got it in 95 and it's still a great gun. Used it for geese, duck, pheasants, LOTS of quail and TOO many doves. If you can get it in 12 gauge even better, but like I said I've taken large birds with my 20. Love the design and the gun is as durable as they come

#21 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

so the gun store i went to had a new 870 but from what i just read i wont be buying that gun.most of there shot guns were in the $1000 + dollar range, i dont have the money for a expensive gun so im not gonna tease my self.im gonna try a couple differnt stores in the area.i dont know to many people that have shot guns except my old boss.maybe il try calling him see what he says.

#22 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

Everyone's first shotgun should say 870 on the side of it...
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,049 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

I have an 870 Wingmaster and it is a terrific shotgun. I've had it since 1962 and never had a problem with it.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#24 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

I've had it since 1962

70th birthday present????? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,049 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

No, 10th birthday present. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#26 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

went to another gun store and most of there shotguns were 1000.00 plus. One of the guys working there was trying to sell me a used benelli nova for 300.00 when i could buy the same gun brand new at big 5 for 100 bucks more and it would prob come with the extra chokes.i did hold it and it is really light but im geussing thats all the plastic parts.im gonna go prob some time next week to my old bosses place to see what he might be willing to sell me.he said he was gonna go through all his guns soon anyways so i could help him make some room.

#27 wanapasaki

wanapasaki

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, and Fishing.. Thats about it LOL

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

Stoegers aren't bad either. Theres one up here for sale 30" barrel! Oak stock semi-auto for 499.99 Not that bad. Inetersted me, only if I had some extra money lol

#28 vertical_edge_800

vertical_edge_800

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I got my first shotgun when I was 7 or 8 years old... It was an youth 870 20 gauge express magnum... Had it for years never a problem with it. Since then I've bought 2 express magnums, one 12 gauge one 20 gauge and 1 express super magnum. Not one problem with any of these weapons. Mossberg has a weird feeling safety and no ramp for feeding shells into the magazine but just an open hole... I'm not a fan of them

#29 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

i just finshed some work for my old boss and hes gonna give me a shotgun.i have a couple of choices but as soon as i get it il post up the pics,cant to see my new toy....

#30 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

so i got a mossberg 12 gauge. it takes 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells.i took it to the range and ishot bird shot. shoots good to me now i just need to shoot so birds with it. i atached a pic hope it works

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users