• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

That'll do the job. Nice camo. :roflmao3[1]:
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#32 microtus

microtus

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

I have basically the same gun Mossy 500 and like your original post it came with a short rifled slug barrel in addition to the longer tube. Might be the light weight, straight stock or something else but it does kick like a mofo. Heavy slugs just plain hurt but not as bad as whats on the receiving end.The only problem I've run into is the wooden dowel to reduce the magazine capacity was rattling so I took it out. I'll fix it when I chase birds other than that I'll be good to go when I call in 5 coyotes at one time with my awesomeness :roflmao3[1]:
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#33 longboard

longboard

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

Good job Tony, I have a 500 that my Father in law gave me and just love it. I also bought a 870 Wingmaster that has a plain barrel and was made in the 50's, it's almost as old as me. You do not need the most expensive, or the hardest kicking killer shotgun made, to hunt with.Shotguns are fun, my Ruger red label is a very good looking gun, and shoots like a dream, but my Mossberg and 870 get the nod in the field most of the time. Good luck on the hunting.Longboard

#34 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

i have a 20 year old mossberg 500 12 ga maxi-combo. thousands of rounds through it and no problems.i also have a '99 590a-1 military model but it's rarley used.of cousre i learned shotguns on my dad's almost 30 year old remington 870 wingmaster 12ga.(much smoother action)i'd buy either imho.
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#35 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

I have basically the same gun Mossy 500 and like your original post it came with a short rifled slug barrel in addition to the longer tube. Might be the light weight, straight stock or something else but it does kick like a mofo. Heavy slugs just plain hurt but not as bad as whats on the receiving end.The only problem I've run into is the wooden dowel to reduce the magazine capacity was rattling so I took it out. I'll fix it when I chase birds other than that I'll be good to go when I call in 5 coyotes at one time with my awesomeness :harhar1[1]:

it has the dowel in it to but no rattling and i cant wait to take it out bird hunting...

#36 microtus

microtus

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

Somebody might correct me on this but I do believe that while bird hunting you have to have the plug in, limiting the gun to three rounds, to be legal.
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#37 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

ya it only holds 3 shells, i prob will never pull the dowel out being it is mainly for bird hunting.

#38 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

There's no greater feeling than buying your very own first shot gun with your own hard earned money. My first was a Mossberg 500 that had a red tag on it at Walmart for $120. To good of a deal to pass up. Now after saying that I think paying full retail price nowadays is a waste of money plus the new Mossberg's seem to have some quality issues. That Nova at Big 5 is way over priced. I say find a good used one at a local gun shop, check the for sale section on multiple gun forums or even hit the bulliten boards at you local ranges to find a deal. I just can't stand to see how new people getting into this sport/hobby are getting ripped off for guns & ammo! It's just not right!I see used Mossy's sell for under $200 all day long and Nova's sell for under $300 on GunBroker. Look at this auction that just ended; http://www.gunbroker...?Item=142659318Since you are near San Jose, there is a guy in Santa Clara that does out of state transfers for a reasonable price. Maybe take a look at that approach for purchasing your shotgun.I am sure that there will be some here that are thinking to buy them new since it comes with a warranty and buying a used shotgun is as is. At the end of the day it is your decision to make. Hey maybe get your first one new and then get your next one used. Just my 2 cents.

#39 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

Doves and quail would most likely require a smaller shotgun.For ducks you would want a medium 12 gauge.For turkeys you would want a magnum 12 gauge.One gun for all 3 is not going to work too well, in my opinion.My personal view is that Mossberg is the best, but then, that's what I was trained on by the U.S. military.So I would special order 3 different Mossbergs for these 3 classes of game birds.And then get a Liberty Centurion gun safe to store them in.But that's just me. I like specialized guns. I like special orders. And I like the best of everything.Life is too short to settle for second-best.:smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

I agree with you that Mossberg makes a nice product for the price. But there's no need to buy three different Mossy's for three classes of birds. You can get a Mossy combo package, that come with two barrels or just get one Mossy and order the extra barrels as you need them. But hey there is nothing wrong with owning multiple shotguns for different purposes. Hell I do.

#40 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

the gun i just got was from my old boss who i am doing some work for now to fill in my time being im a little slow with work.he basicly gave me the gun for a good days work.it came with a full choke.he said he only shot a few shells threw it to test it out(he owns a few shot guns).i wouldnt mind buying a smaller barrel if needed but i bought some bird shot and the 20 gauge cost the same as the 12 gauge.do you think i might need a differnt choke for differnt birds?im hopeing to go for quail a couple of times atleast this season(anybody need a partner im avaliable).im gonna go for a turkey to if possble.

#41 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

If you plan to hunt waterfowl you should consider getting a modified or improved modified choke tube. A full choke is a bit much for large steel shot. A super full choke would be nice to have for turkey hunting, I use one while crow hunting.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#42 Moonclip

Moonclip

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

There's no greater feeling than buying your very own first shot gun with your own hard earned money.

Dad, will you buy me a shotgun? Lol, my dad bought me my 1st but it was my money I had earned but it was an 870 riot gun. A 3 1/2" chamber may nt be necessary but it is nice to have. I'd say something like an Mossberg 835 ultimag 3 1/2" chambered shotgun and 2-3 barrels could fill every possible need of a shotgun you could have. It can fire loads a light as 2 3/4"1 oz birdshot for plinking and hand thrown trap and everything in between up to heavy 3 1/2" loads for the geese and such. Get a slug barrel as well and add more versatility. Smooth bore short Mossberg 835 barrels are hard to find but can be had and then gun could be used for defense as well.Mossberg 500's can be found dirt cheap at times though, I have passed them up at $125 as recently as this year.

#43 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Selecting a shotgun (or any gun for that matter) is all about comfort. You gotta fire it and "feel" it...otherwise you can't tell if it fits you or not. Best advice i can give you is to buy the one the you can't live without...kinda like a woman in that regard.

#44 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Yea, but if I bought all the women I felt I couldn't live without, I'd never have any money. :welcomeani:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#45 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#46 Hunter Dude

Hunter Dude

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

I recently bought this exact same setup. I purchased it because it came with the security barrel and the hunting barrel. I liked the idea of a security and hunting shotgun all in one **MAKE NOTE** The 28" vented barrel comes in Modified barrel only. There are no chokes on this barrel you can change. If you want to hunt turkey you will have to buy a new barrel. This gun holds 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber when you take the plug out.I was unaware of the barrel when I purchased and its the only thing I with I looked at twice. Aside from the fixed choke on the barrel the gun is great. Swapping out barrels is a snap and takes less than a minute. It shoots nice and holds a good pattern. Ive dropped it many times, had it filled with dust, even put dusty rounds in it and no problems. The kick is minimal, and the synthetic stock makes it real light and easy to carry in the field. Like I said aside from the choke issue I really like this gun. The plastic makes it feel a little cheap but after a day walking the field you will be happy you shaved off the wood weight. Hope this helps a little.Wow didnt see how old the thread was. HAHA how did it go? did you ever decide on one?

#47 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

after I purchased my Benelli R1 .300 win mag, I decided to purchase the Benelli Nova Pump 12 gauge ...awesome gun and came pre-camo'd :( ... extra long barrel and the 3" loads have been great for turkey hunting. I want to try my hand at waterfowl with it.http://www.benellius...i_nova_pump.php
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#48 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

check the bottom of page one....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users