• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

No this isnt for dating advice for you singles LOL Ill be heading to Stockton today to pick up supplies and have lunch with hubby. If you have critters you want mounted call me and I can meet you somewhere and save you the trip up here. Have your validated tag and the deposit (250.00 for deer) with the you. If the tag is NOT validated I will not pick it up. I will also be going to Ceres this week.. (Just South of Modesto) I can meet for pick up then too. AND finally Swingle's in Jackson will let you put your deer head in the freezer when you drop off the meat. Tell them its for me to pick up (Royal Oaks Taxidermy) and let ME know its there. Make sure the tag is ON the antlers.. You will need to come buy with the deposit within 1 week.. This basically allows you to have your cape/antlers frozen without taking up your home freezer space. Which IM sure the spouses/family members will appreciate. If its a bear do NOT slice the ear to attach the tag. Tie it around the ear muscle down low, or on a paw. And place a block of wood in the mouth to hold it open. Be sure to have your tooth pulled as well! Happy Hunting!!

#2 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

Excuses me but for a bear does it matter which tooth is pulled or can it be anyone? - Jeremy

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

Yes, its a specific tooth. Its not a very big tooth, I think its like the 3rd tooth back or maybe the 4th from the canine. Id have to check to be sure, Its only on the odd numbered tags that they pull it. It has to be pulled at the check out stations by them. You cant do it yourself. If your having it mounted I would seriously ask for someone who knows how to do it without cutting the lips up.. SOme of the guys 2 years ago were horrible.. They would cut a V into the jaw bone rather than pop the tooth out without damaging the jaw. And the lip line would have cuts in it which really is unnecessary. This last year whoever was doing it were much better. It was hardly even noticable.

#4 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Ok thanks for the info!

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

it is for odd numbered tags...also, if I recall the regs right, it needs to be done by the DFG Biologist as part of the validation. Having had to do this in '06, you need to call the DFG Regional Office closest to you and ask if there is a biologist on duty as they may also want to take some brain tissue samples. This is the easiest answer I can offer you as I had a huge run-around with my bear thinking that any field officer could perform this task - which wasn't the case. Also, make sure your prop open the mouth before rig sets in :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: AND another option on tage placement is to roll the tag up and shove it in one of the bears ears and tie the ear closed (CH, am sure that won't be an issue?)...funny story is that the final shot on my bear was to the head --- well, I placed my tag in there and when I went to the DFG Regional Office in Rancho Cordova, the DFG officer asked for the tag to validate -- I remove it and it was soaked in blood :rolleyes: tried to hand it to him and he was almost grossed out (imagine that working for DFG and not wanting handle a little blood) - said I needed to walk inside and photocopy it for his signature...

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Yep up can roll it and shove it in the ea. Tie it good but dont break the hair on the ears.. cant replace that..A shoelace works good as they are soft.. TIe it closed good so it doesnt get lost..HOWEVER Id suggest a plastic bag to protect the tag and so you dont gross out the DFG guy LOL ID have loved to have seen his face...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users